Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign LW/C Patrick Marleau (3 years, $6.25 AAV, NMC) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
He doesn't look well there at all. Kinda sickly for 38

I think it's the coloring (hue/tint) of the Twitter photo..

Nice pic of Marleau holding Marner.

:laugh:
Yikes! 4 boys, that's a lot of testosterone to control and tame . . . just makes me glad I stopped at 2 kids.

Sorry, parent thinking out loud here . . . :laugh:

:laugh:

Love this picture! I'm really hoping he works out here and is a great leader while providing stability in the top 6. Definitely something that was lacking last year.

He's a pretty respected player, league-wide, so I think it was a good move..

Notice his son is wearing Connor Brown's #12 Leafs jersey. :)

That's his number, too... for many years.. He'll probably get to keep it.. and Brownie will have no probs changing, I believe..

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Yeah, let's throw the reigning World Championships MVP and Calder Trophy finalist in any other year on the 4th line.

Marleau can play C as well so we could slot him as 3C, move Kadri to 4C and Nylander could be an even more sheltered 5C.

Guys/girls, are you for real? Where did I say that he would play 4th line minutes? Depending on situation, we would send Kadri's line as checking line, 43 and Nylander as production lines along with Bozak line. There is not much of a difference there and there is no real 4th line there in its classical sense. However, those three other centers have more experience at C position in NHL (so Nylander could be sheltered if need to be).
That is point I was getting at and second point was that wing would not suffer and arguably will be even better with some of that wealth/strength spilling to Nylander line so he will have some serious skill to work with too.
:help::laugh:

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Guys/girls, are you for real? Where did I say that he would play 4th line minutes? Depending on situation, we would send Kadri's line as checking line, 43 and Nylander as production lines along with Bozak line. There is not much of a difference there and there is no real 4th line there in its classical sense. However, those three other centers have more experience at C position in NHL (so Nylander could be sheltered if need to be).
That is point I was getting at and second point was that wing would not suffer and arguably will be even better with some of that wealth/strength spilling to Nylander line so he will have some serious skill to work with too.
:help::laugh:

Typically when you put a player on the 4th line, he plays 4th line minutes. All you said was that he'd be sheltered. Nothing about this magical no-4th-line breakdown.

In your scenario, how many minutes does Nylander play at even strength per game when Matthews, Kadri and Bozak are all centering their own lines? The average team plays about 5 minutes of PP and 5 minutes of PK per game, so there's only 50 minutes of even strength to go around. Which of those centers loses minutes to bring Nylander up to non-4th line minutes? Kadri, as the shutdown center, is definitely not losing any of his 14 ES minutes, nor are we going to take any of Matthews' 15 ES minutes away. So now you have 21 ES minutes left to play with, for Bozak and Nylander's lines.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Typically when you put a player on the 4th line, he plays 4th line minutes. All you said was that he'd be sheltered. Nothing about this magical no-4th-line breakdown.

In your scenario, how many minutes does Nylander play at even strength per game when Matthews, Kadri and Bozak are all centering their own lines? The average team plays about 5 minutes of PP and 5 minutes of PK per game, so there's only 50 minutes of even strength to go around. Which of those centers loses minutes to bring Nylander up to non-4th line minutes? Kadri, as the shutdown center, is definitely not losing any of his 14 ES minutes, nor are we going to take any of Matthews' 15 ES minutes away. So now you have 21 ES minutes left to play with, for Bozak and Nylander's lines.

Nice summary. So my take on that would be that every other night there might be different distribution of ES time, which would allow us to roll all 4 lines and not load one player/line with too many minutes. Whichever line is going that night will get more minutes, and all other lines will get some more or less even minutes.
It might seriously benefit us on back-to-back nights.

Nylander will get "his" minutes on PP and Moore his on PK (perhaps with Bozak). Not to say that there will be no fight for playing time (and this is good thing) or some unhappy players that will not get as many opportunities with this lineup.

It seems that with this addition we are close to being fully loaded at C and on the wing too. G and backup are there.
We have young fast D with finally decent top 4 and promising Carrick at #5. Leafs also signed few young D from Europe. We could be contenders as early as this year or next year.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Can't believe we signed this old fart, gonna be a long 3 years

It is amazing how in your first 20 minutes as a member of HF you have managed troll post in every Leaf thread (Brooks, Liljegren, this one, etc.) posing as a Leaf fan.

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
It is amazing how in your first 20 minutes as a member of HF you have managed troll post in every Leaf thread (Brooks, Liljegren, this one, etc.) posing as a Leaf fan.

I'm posting good and bad thoughts I have on our players and other prospects. Just made an account so trying to create discussion. Sorry if you think I'm trolling.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

DH7r9EtUAAAFe88.jpg

DH7r9EpUwAI3m2W.jpg

DH7r9EzVwAAd-Bt.jpg

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Just a reminder...

Patrick Marleau is a Leaf!

Woot Woot!

Carry on...
That is a fair reminder :).

I really never thought this would happen. There was talk for a long while ago of Marleau joining the Leafs. But it never seemed very likely with where the team was.

And yet here we are :). A pretty cool addition to an exciting team.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
The more I look at this contract, the more it's clear there is no intention here for Marleau to play out that last season. He has absolutely no reason to. once he collects that last signing bonus, there is no way he's going to play a season of hockey for $1m, he'll just retire.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The more I look at this contract, the more it's clear there is no intention here for Marleau to play out that last season. He has absolutely no reason to. once he collects that last signing bonus, there is no way he's going to play a season of hockey for $1m, he'll just retire.

He's got a 35+ contract so the cap hit still stays if he retires

The only way we don't have that cap hit is if Marleau waives his NMC and gets traded or he agrees to go onto LTIR

It's up to him pretty much

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

No reason?

Maybe he wants one of those shiny Stanley Cup things that everyone is talking about.

Unless of course you don't think we will be a contender....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad