Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Josh Leivo to an extension -- 2 Years/1 Way | $612.5K AAV

Mr Hockey*

he'll fight for a spot this year...but with lupul, michalek, greening, and laich time with the leafs numbered...there will be plenty of spots for guys like leivo and other marlies to make team this and next season

Dam log jam of vets we have! we have a handful of guys clogging everything up! you cant even armchair a line up! :laugh:

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Love it. One of my favourite Leafs prospects since day one. Hope he makes the team!

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I would like some trades made, to make room for him.

Players who shouldn't be traded are those who are his age or younger, and Hyman.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
612,500 cap hit. Great.

1 way deal but that literally doesn't matter for a team like us. Actually it's better. Caving on giving him a 1 way in negoiations probably lowered the NHL cap hit.

2 way 800k/100k v. 1 way 600k and a player like Leivo likely takes the guaranteed 600k every day of the week.

The one-way makes it somewhat difficult to claim him off waivers if he has to be sent down.

EDIT: Cancel this see post 42 courtesy Mad Brills.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
This kid has been severely underrated in our top prospects threads. I am glad the organization has held on to him for a couple of more years to give him a chance.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I wish. Lupul had near-ppg upside but was held back by injuries.

Let's hope Leivo can be a 15-15 guy at least.

I think he has the tools to be more productive than that. He has scored at a decent clip every time he's been called up.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Very happy to see this. I really like Leivo. I think he'll be a solid 2nd or 3rd line winger. I think he could score a lot of goals if he plays in the top 9.

He seems like a goal scorer. Some people have a nose for the back of the net, and others don't. I think Leivo's got it.

Before the emergence of Soshnikov - Kadri - Komorov... I had always wanted to see a Leivo - Kadri - Brown line.

If given the proper chance, I think Leivo could score 20 goals this year.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
This reminds me of the Holland deal.

The player would be stupid to refuse guaranteed money over two years.
And works well for the team as well.

Last edited:

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
There will always be room in the NHL for a kid with a big league shot. I really think he would look good on Matthews' wing if he earns that spot. He's a triggerman with powerforward tendencies and I think he can hang if he finds his groove.

Mad Brills*

He could very well be a cheap ~15 goal guy in the near future.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
didnt watch a lot of games last year but i made sure to watch all when nylander, hyman, leivo, sosh, and brown, etc. all got their call ups

as for leivo, i really didnt like his skating, it affects his hustle, his forecheck, toughness and physicality, board work, pretty much most aspects of your game...best part about his game is his shot

buttman*

The one way deal is likely a deterant for many teams if he gets sent done. Very few teams would want a player making 600K in the minors. Leafs can afford it if they decide to go that route.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Leivo may be one of those guys that does better in the NHL than with lower level teammates in the AHL. He was obviously decent there, but he was really great for his stint with the big club. Not just the goal scoring -- but his towering nearly 54% Corsi. Really solid, low event, defensive guy. Oh, yeah, and there were the 5 goals in GP (34G pace -- not saying he'd keep it up, but saying that's really good for 12 GP).

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
Can easily see him playing on our third line, great call by the management
Plus i think we do have a shortfall of good LW forwards

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Leivo may be one of those guys that does better in the NHL than with lower level teammates in the AHL. He was obviously decent there, but he was really great for his stint with the big club. Not just the goal scoring -- but his towering nearly 54% Corsi. Really solid, low event, defensive guy. Oh, yeah, and there were the 5 goals in GP (34G pace -- not saying he'd keep it up, but saying that's really good for 12 GP).

I've always really liked his play. He's pretty strong on the boards, decent speed and a great shot.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
1 way means that whoever claims him if he goes on waivers has to keep him in the nhl.

You can't claim someone on a two way deal and stick him in the minors either. The only difference between two way and one way contracts is the amount a player gets paid should he be sent to the minors. However a player in Leivo's case would first need to clear waivers by the leafs or any other team that claimed him would have put him back on waivers to send him down

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
You can't claim someone on a two way deal and stick him in the minors either. The only difference between two way and one way contracts is the amount a player gets paid should he be sent to the minors. However a player in Leivo's case would first need to clear waivers by the leafs or any other team that claimed him would have put him back on waivers to send him down

Correct

This is a thinking ahead signing. The Leafs will keep him eligible for the expansion draft and he would have a chance to be selected hence the two year deal. His salary is less next year making him more attractive.

Skating is his issue but his shot is an equalizer. Babcock likes a high tempo game and that is not his strength. His board work makes up for some of his issues. I see him getting his 40 games in with being a 13 forward, this is his opportunity to fight for a roster spot more than 40 games.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

Yea I know, playing in only 12 games is a small sample size for his goal production, but it was still impressive & even more so that he averaged only 12:19 of icetime per game. I think the Leafs would be foolish not to give him a chance to prove himself over a longer period & with more icetime.

Regardless of his scoring while up with the Leafs, I think he impressed management with his 'playoff style' game on the Marlies during the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad