Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Josh Leivo to an extension -- 2 Years/1 Way | $612.5K AAV

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Not much of an issue but it being 1 way.. maybe teams balk at claiming him if he's waived.

Just thinking outside the box

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I thought we were going to lose him for nothing. I'm relieved to say the least.There's something about Leivo and Brown that make them my favorite prospects. I guess I have a soft spot for
Overperforming- under dogs.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
This is great news.

I like Leivo, he plays good game, has nice shot and I am glad that he got 2 year deal. Hopefully he manages to make the team this year and become at least a 3rd liner.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Good deal for both sides. Thought he might be on the outs; good to see that may not be the case.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
This is great news.

I like Leivo, he plays good game, has nice shot and I am glad that he got 2 year deal. Hopefully he manages to make the team this year and become at least a 3rd liner.

If he gets his fitness level up over the summer I think he's a good bet to make the team. Best size + defensive game combination of our wing prospects right now. Guys like Brown might have higher upside but also stand to benefit more from top AHL minutes.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
CapFriendly ‏@CapFriendly 3m3 minutes ago

CapFriendly CONFIRMED: Josh Leivo #Leafs 2 year / 1 way deal $612,500 cap hit 2016-17: $575,000 2017-18: $650,000

So I'd say he's guaranteed to be at least a 13th forward. He's a better 13th forward than anyone else we've had here for a while, although I'd prefer him be in the lineup full time. Injuries do happen, and there will be plenty of spots open later, so it's not all bad.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
hopefully we trade holland, lupul stays on ltir, and greening or michalek gets sent down or traded. We would be able to fit him in than. We got kadri, bozak, jvr, komo, martin as the vets, got nylander, matthews, marner(confident he makes it), hyman, sosh, brown, as rooks leaving one more spot. This can be won by laich, greening/michalek(whoever stays up), leivo, leipsic, johnson(long shot since he could use a year in the ahl). I hope leivo can win the spot and become a regular fixture on the team. Though I think Laich will probably get it if this was the scenario that folded out do to being a vet, and pretty well liked.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Happy for Leivo and think this is a great move for the Leafs. He proved in his games last year that he can score goals even as a depth piece. Great guy to have at that kind of cap hit!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
So I'd say he's guaranteed to be at least a 13th forward. He's a better 13th forward than anyone else we've had here for a while, although I'd prefer him be in the lineup full time. Injuries do happen, and there will be plenty of spots open later, so it's not all bad.

Maybe the 1-way is to discourage teams from picking him up and sending him down waivers for their own farm team? over 500k for an AHL forward is pricey for a lot of teams.

Although we do have first rights to pick him back up on waivers if he hit them again.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The two year deal is interesting. Older prospect now, needs to separate himself from the logjam to grab a spot. The guy knows how to score.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
The two year deal may have been given with an eye towards the conditions of the expansion draft.

Mad Brills*

1 way means that whoever claims him if he goes on waivers has to keep him in the nhl.

Mr Hockey*

I think Levio ends up on some other team and he becomes a 20 -25 goal scorer!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
With this likely being a 1 way you'd have to assume the Leafs plan on having him in the lineup come opening night.

He'd be a near certainty to be claimed - especially for teams like the Pens and Hawks looking for cheap skilled depth.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Still don't think he has much of an NHL future here and has been passed numerous times on the depth chart, but I guess they still see some value.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
he'll fight for a spot this year...but with lupul, michalek, greening, and laich's time with the leafs numbered...there will be plenty of spots for guys like leivo and other marlies to make team this and next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad