Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Josh Leivo to an extension -- 2 Years/1 Way | $612.5K AAV

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I'm not asking them to step aside.
Like any team faced with signing their core and upcoming UFAs, this team should have decided back in the summer who wasn't part of the long term build.
As I've said, if Bozak was moved in the summer, you could have moved Willy to C and by virtue of that inserted Kapanen in the lineup on a nightly basis. A year of experience at C for Willy, a year of experience in the NHL for Kappy. Then someone is UFA at the end of the season and insert Johnsson/whoever.
This is a team still looking to finish the build IMO. You should not have 2/3rds of a line plus the guy taking all the minutes PK/whatever walking at the end of the year.
Is this current setup better, worse or the same:
Hyman...Matthews...Marner
Marleau...Kadri...Komarov
JVR...Nylander...Brown
You get assets for Bozak but you could have moved any of the 3. At least one to promote the next NHL ready Marlie in line.

I see your point accept I don't believe that Nylander is a C in the NHL. If he were that good at C then Bozak would be gone by now.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I see your point accept I don't believe that Nylander is a C in the NHL. If he were that good at C then Bozak would be gone by now.
Fair enough. I've asked if Babcock sees that as well. In which case it brings me back to the lack of center depth in the organization and I believe we need a Bozak upgrade to center a line with Marner. Plus the draft assets to groom another in the system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->