Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Grundstrom to ELC (see post #98)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He did quite well with the Marlies, I think playing a year in the AHL could go well for him. He's not far off from being ready.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
He is my darkhorse.

This guy plays like a Canadian and will play sooner than many think. I'm expecting a call up mid season and surprise! He sticks. Reminds me of a Clark/Sutter type guy with a really Swedish name.

Last edited:

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I can't see Bozak not signing for more money elsewhere then he'd get in Toronto after this season. If Nylander does move into a center position, Grundstrom might just be the perfect complimentary winger who does everything Nylander doesn't.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
This guy plays like a Canadian and will play sooner than many think. I'm expecting a call up mid season and surprise! He sticks. Reminds me of a Clark/Sutter type guy with a really Swedish name.

I wouldn't call him much of a dark horse. Most are expect g him to be a complimentary winger to Matthews or Nylander.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I can't see Bozak not signing for more money elsewhere then he'd get in Toronto after this season. If Nylander does move into a center position, Grundstrom might just be the perfect complimentary winger who does everything Nylander doesn't.

Agreed on Grundstrom. He is closer to being in the NHL than Bracco is. He compliments Matthews, Nylander and Marner. A reason to move on from Komorov as I think Grundstrom should be ready after this season, if not sooner. Speaking of Bracco, when or if Nylander moves to the #2 spot if Babcock can trust him...Bracco's obsession with playmaking, perfectly suits Matthews.

Reasons to keep Bozak this year or until NYlander is locked up long term as a "winger"

1) The Leafs are thin at center. Bozak win's draws, gives u instant possession.

2) Keeping Bozak at center lowers Nylander's cap hit. If Bozak is moved early and Nylander takes his spot as the #2 center and flourishes, his salary will be 8-9 million. As a winger Nylander's salary will be 6-7 million. Maybe those numbers are slightly high but the point is Id imagine a 1.5-2 million in savings all based on what position he is playing.

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
Huh, didn't realize the SHL and NHL made a deal where non-1st round pick can't start the season in the AHL?: http://www.hockeysverige.se/2017/09...a-att-ta-plats-nhl-kommer-folja-utvecklingen/

(hat tip: https://theathletic.com/97135/2017/...cking-leafs-roster-even-if-the-odds-are-long/)

Anyone know the exact details? Is there a minimum amount of games he could play with the Leafs to start the year, and then head to the Marlies? Depending on the restriction, may just have to spend another year in the SHL, which shouldn't hurt him too bad. May need to stop pencilling him into the Marlies lineup this year...

(apologies if everyone already knew this)

Last edited:

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
This guy caught my eye in a big way. I really think he can be more than just a "support" guy in our Top 6. He brings a physical edge, but has a lot of skill. Dzierkals was also very noticeable.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Huh, didn't realize the SHL and NHL made a deal where non-1st round pick can't start the season in the AHL?: http://www.hockeysverige.se/2017/09...a-att-ta-plats-nhl-kommer-folja-utvecklingen/

(hat tip: https://theathletic.com/97135/2017/...cking-leafs-roster-even-if-the-odds-are-long/)

Anyone know the exact details? Is there a minimum amount of games he could play with the Leafs to start the year, and then head to the Marlies? Depending on the restriction, may just have to spend another year in the SHL, which shouldn't hurt him too bad. May need to stop pencilling him into the Marlies lineup this year...

I had heard that before.

Be nice to know the details though. Starting in the NHL could mean many things, 1 game, 10 games, ...

One would have to believe if he is under contract the rules would be different if he is not under contract. If he's under contract I can see why he'd have to go back, unless the SHL team agreed to loan him to the AHL.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

best player on the ice for both teams in the Friday game ..

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

"Plays like a Canadian"

:facepalm:

Sweden has produced some tough as nails players throughout the years. Plays like a Canadian is a ridiculous comment.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

How long does these Swedish teams have the right to prevent non 1st rounders from coming to the AHL? It's understandable initially, but Grundstrom is no longer junior aged, is it an infinite thing, can't be, that wouldn't make any sense. Johnsson came over when he was 21, did his SHL team have a right to say no he couldn't come over the the AHL?

Number13

May 21, 2007
Sure. I just find it particularly insulting to Swedes when arguably one of the toughest players in our team history was a Swede.

Well lighten up, he isn't the first person to say he plays a "North American" style. That's not a new term in describing a euro hockey player.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
Sure. I just find it particularly insulting to Swedes when arguably one of the toughest players in our team history was a Swede.

North Americans typically play a more gritty style while Europeans tend to play a more skilled/finesse style. This is a well documented phenomena. Just because there are outliers, doesn't mean there isn't correlation between country of origin and playstyle.

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
Well lighten up, he isn't the first person to say he plays a "North American" style. That's not a new term in describing a euro hockey player.
"People have been oversimplifying entire cultures into reductionist nonsense for years so it's all good"

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

To be fair it was Grunny's own coach that said that
His old coach in MODO, Anders Forsberg, called him the ultimate Canadian-playing Swede: "It is rare to see a player who can play more Canadian than Canadians themselves."
https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2016/7/2/12087156/is-carl-grundstrom-better-than-57th-overall

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
North Americans typically play a more gritty style while Europeans tend to play a more skilled/finesse style. This is a well documented phenomena. Just because there are outliers, doesn't mean there isn't correlation between country of origin and playstyle.

Care to back that up with any shred of proof? Where is all this "documentation" you speak of?

Its a stereotype.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Maybe truer in the early seventies in the heyday of the Broad Street Bullies and Big Bad Bruins. Not so much now. There is no shortage of gritty players in NA. As such no need to import them from Europe.

Grundstom will be our Holmqvist next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad