Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Grundstrom to ELC (see post #98)

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Yeah, I see him as a Koma replacement. His offense is probably going to be limited and fluctuate, but it won't be his primary role.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
He seems like the perfect player to take over for Leo next season.

Leo brings a ton defensively. Probably the best defensive forward on the team. That's hard for a rookie to step in and reproduce, at least right away. That's my only concern.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Leo brings a ton defensively. Probably the best defensive forward on the team. That's hard for a rookie to step in and reproduce, at least right away. That's my only concern.

That's fair, but assuming he'd be with Kadri and Marleau, there's plenty of support. Part of what makes Komarov so great defensively is that he is so hard on the puck. He's constantly on guys, which leads to turnovers. Grundstrom plays a similar way. Knowing how highly Babcock values a shut down line, and looking at Hyman's strengths, I wonder if Babcock could look into placing him there. I have always thought Hyman is a perfect player to play beside Kadri.

Let's assume that JVR, Bozak and Komarov are all traded/allowed to walk to maintain cap flexibility.

(Grundstrom?) - Matthews - Marner/Kapanen
Marleau - Nylander - Marner/Kapanen
Hyman - Kadri - Brown
Martin - (Aaltonen?) - (Johnsson/Leivo?)

Is a very intriguing lineup. Matthews would likely be playing with two new full-time players, but he has the ability to bring people's games up. It would be much like PIT having Crosby playing with Guentzel and Sheary, two rookies who beside Crosby, online had to focus on putting pucks in nets.

Even then, if we keep Hyman with Matthews, Grundstrum beside Kadri and Brown can still be a very effective shut down line that can continue to add offense as well.

Last edited:

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Leafs are probably going to walk away from Komarov, and the reason is Leafs draft pick Carl Grundstrom who is eventually going to take a spot away from Komorov (once his contract expire).

it's going to be hard to replace Komarov’s defensive play and toughness right away but Grundstrom’s higher skills, toughness and ability to read the play is going to be a better replacement then Komarov. Please keep in mind he can play both sides of the ice and is going to be a big factor on both PP and PK.

He is going to out-produce Komarov offensively quickly with his skill set and being much younger then Komorov. He might take time in acclimating the defensive side but let's not forget that he is going to be a much cheaper option for the time being and he is much younger and hungry to make immediate impact. Let’s not forget that the other young forwards on the team will also be improving at both ends of the ice.

This looks like a much better option to go with a player on an entry level deal once Komarov contract expire

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
That's fair, but assuming he'd be with Kadri and Marleau, there's plenty of support. Part of what makes Komarov so great defensively is that he is so hard on the puck. He's constantly on guys, which leads to turnovers. Grundstrom plays a similar way. Knowing how highly Babcock values a shut down line, and looking at Hyman's strengths, I wonder if Babcock could look into placing him there. I have always thought Hyman is a perfect player to play beside Kadri.

Let's assume that JVR, Bozak and Komarov are all traded/allowed to walk to maintain cap flexibility.

(Grundstrom?) - Matthews - (Bracco? Free Agent? Other?)
Marleau - Nylander - (Kapanen?)
Hyman - Kadri - Brown
Martin - (Aaltonen?) - (Johnsson/Leivo?)

Is a very intriguing lineup. Matthews would likely be playing with two rookies, but he has the ability to bring people's games up. It would be much like PIT having Crosby playing with Guentzel and Sheary, two rookies who beside Crosby, online had to focus on putting pucks in nets.

Even then, if we keep Hyman with Matthews, Grundstrum beside Kadri and Brown can still be a very effective shut down line that can continue to add offense as well.

No Marner on your line up. Guessing you would plug him in on Matthews line?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
No Marner on your line up. Guessing you would plug him in on Matthews line?

Wow, how did I forget Mitch..... Need to have another coffee.

Yeah, he'd be the RW with Matthews I think, purely because Nylander/Kapanen suit each other extremely well. Even then, I can see Kappy beside Matthews.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

I think this is a myth, perpetuated by HFBoards. Leo is just okay defensively, and he doesn't score a ton. He's a better forechecker than backchecker. I like having him for the hits and tenacity, but I would prefer him on the 4th line at a different rate.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Let me ask Trump if the walls a good idea if I want to blindly appeal to authority.
Say what? I get it, you're a maverick who wants to blaze his own path. That's great if your coach is Edmonton's stick boy. If your coach is the man widely accepted as the best coach in the game, going with his lineup isn't blindly following the leader it's called "doing the smart thing because you want to win"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad