Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Grundstrom to ELC (see post #98)

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Grundstrom has clear NHL potential but as he showed last year in the SHL, he looses his edge once the seasons long grind kicks in. And that is only natural for young players.
And it would be mistake to let him play in the NHL this season. He must play one or two more seasons in either the SHL or AHL To get his strength and stamina up.
For your reasoning he should play ahl. The she season is significantly shorter than the NHL season, so get him used yo the 82 game grind so he knows what kind of conditioning he needs to embrace.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
For your reasoning he should play ahl. The she season is significantly shorter than the NHL season, so get him used yo the 82 game grind so he knows what kind of conditioning he needs to embrace.

Also keep him close for when an injury occurs on the big club, he's ready to go.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Also keep him close for when an injury occurs on the big club, he's ready to go.

would have to be quite a few injuries to get to grundstrom. Kapanen, Leivo, Rychel (if he makes it through waivers), Greening, fehr, Aaltonen all would go in ahead of grundstrom for injury cover

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
would have to be quite a few injuries to get to grundstrom. Kapanen, Leivo, Rychel (if he makes it through waivers), Greening, fehr, Aaltonen all would go in ahead of grundstrom for injury cover

You may be right but you don't know that for sure. Grundstrom could be at the top of that list.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
You may be right but you don't know that for sure. Grundstrom could be at the top of that list.

I'm with Walshy here because Lou stated that they dont want to yo yo the young talent up and down, so I think they would bring up "vets" t do spot duty.
If it were based on talent alone he would be there with Johnsson right after Kapanen.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I'm with Walshy here because Lou stated that they dont want to yo yo the young talent up and down, so I think they would bring up "vets" t do spot duty.
If it were based on talent alone he would be there with Johnsson right after Kapanen.

Sure but the only vets listed are Greening and Fehr, and I'd consider the young guys better than those 2 by a margin, so if they want to call up good players they'll need to bring up young guys and Grunny could be at the top of their list. IMO if Komarov/Hyman goes down for a consider amount of time, he's replaced by Grundstrom. If Bozak/Kadri go down they are replaced by Nylander who is replaced by Leivo/Kapanen. All depends on which player is injured.

Mayuu

Mar 10, 2017

since he's drafted outside the first round the SHL team (in this case Frölunda) has the rights to him unless he makes the big show.
It's an agreement between SIHF and NHL that only players drafted in the first round are eligible for AHL play (unless there's an agreement between SHL/NHL teams and player)

So unless Grundström wants to play in AHL and Frölunda is OK with that he's coming back to sweden.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
since he's drafted outside the first round the SHL team (in this case Frölunda) has the rights to him unless he makes the big show.
It's an agreement between SIHF and NHL that only players drafted in the first round are eligible for AHL play (unless there's an agreement between SHL/NHL teams and player)

So unless Grundström wants to play in AHL and Frölunda is OK with that he's coming back to sweden.

Yeah, he probably *could* play on the 4th line but in all honesty I am okay with him going back to the SHL, getting a bit stronger, working on his game a bit more and I think we can safely pencil him in for next year's roster.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I have a hard time...

Seeing Grundstrom cracking the lineup this year because of all the depth. If Kappy cant make the team, well.... But looks like we will need to make room for him next year.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

kapanen and leivo maybe.

maybe.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Seriously, wouldn't he do a better job than Hyman, along with theme twins?

Grundstrom likes to cycle up high and looks for his shot.
Hyman digs and cycles behind the net and doesn't care if he gets a shot at the net.
If Grundstrom can adjust his game maybe?

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Grundstrom likes to cycle up high and looks for his shot.
Hyman digs and cycles behind the net and doesn't care if he gets a shot at the net.
If Grundstrom can adjust his game maybe?

I'm sure he can adjust and become the skilled buzzsaw they need. Though it seems like Babcock found his Abdelkader 2.0 in Hyman, so he might get top-6 duties for the next decade.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Seeing Grundstrom cracking the lineup this year because of all the depth. If Kappy cant make the team, well.... But looks like we will need to make room for him next year.

If Kapanen, a blue chip prospect, cant crack this lineup there's no way Grundstrom will. Kapanen has earned a spot too. He's put his time in and proven himself. Goes to show the crazy depth the team has. We should enjoy this while it lasts. When we watch JVR,Bozak and Komarov walk, these kids will be more than ready.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Think Grundstrom-Matthews-Marner would click better than Nylander on the wing. Would also allow a 2nd line of Marleau-Nylander-Kapanen next year, with maybe Korshkov replacing Marleau at the end of his contract.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Think Grundstrom-Matthews-Marner would click better than Nylander on the wing. Would also allow a 2nd line of Marleau-Nylander-Kapanen next year, with maybe Korshkov replacing Marleau at the end of his contract.

Yeah, I'm sure that would work way better than the lines our 50 million dollar championship goal medal coach came up with. I'm surprised you didn't end up with the job in Buffalo.

I think Grundstrom is ready to contribute now, but there's no way he plays this year. There's just too many guys ahead of him making more money. In my opinion he steps into the lineup to replace Komarov if the Leafs let him walk or they flip him at the deadline as an expiring contract. He's a next year guy.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Yeah, I'm sure that would work way better than the lines our 50 million dollar championship goal medal coach came up with. I'm surprised you didn't end up with the job in Buffalo.

I think Grundstrom is ready to contribute now, but there's no way he plays this year. There's just too many guys ahead of him making more money. In my opinion he steps into the lineup to replace Komarov if the Leafs let him walk or they flip him at the deadline as an expiring contract. He's a next year guy.

Let me ask Trump if the walls a good idea if I want to blindly appeal to authority.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016

Lol I think it's hard to know for sure until it's tried. And that line up may really surprise us. I do defer to Babs' judgement but it would still be exciting to see it. Get pretty excited at the Nylander/Kap duo too

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Yes I actually know about the agreement. I was just stating my preference and why I would prefer it.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Gord Miller said last night he believed grundstom was going back to frolunda. Not sure if he was assuming or knowing something

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I don't think he's an NHL player yet, but he definitely appears to be a good 3/4 line tweener for the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad