Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign G Martin Jones (1 year, $875k)

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I’m curious as to why Jones would sign here if he knows he will be number 3 as many have posted .
At this point in his career is he prepared to play in the minors as a depth recall ?
Interesting

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What about your prediction that Murray will screw the Leafs and come off LTIR partway through the season?
Not that he would do it to screw the Leafs but It could happen, no?

I’m curious as to why Jones would sign here if he knows he will be number 3 as many have posted .
At this point in his career is he prepared to play in the minors as a depth recall ?
Interesting
You’d have to assume he had no other offers and is betting on playing well enough in preseason to be picked off waivers.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Exactly. We just stacked up in net with an overqualified #3. And hence me asking why. You typically can't keep three good goalies - have to lose one on waivers. My fear is that it will be Woll getting sacrificed, as we stubbornly stick to a veteran strategy.

You said it. to be number 3 he must pass through waivers. You really think 31 teams are going to pass on him at league minimum? The second we try to bring him up he's gone.

Surely Trev knows this himself, so it seems to be a pointless signing... unless the point is to make him the #2 and lose Woll.

Yes, Ideally Jones plays in the AHL all year. But he didn't sign to do that. there's no way at his age he believes he's done being an NHLer and that he'll be a Marlie for 50 games. He's probably being signed to play in the NHL and that's what scares me.

Look. I don't really concern myself with the Marlies all that much. If you do, that's great. If you say they need one more better goalie, I will take your word for it. My problem with this is he has no plans to just be an AHL goalie and he won't pass through waivers unclaimed, which tells me he likely will never be put on waivers.... meaning Woll will be.

If we needed a better AHL goalie, there have to be a couple dozen out there who don't threaten Woll's place in the organization.
If they give up on Woll now, they better have a solid plan to secure a proven goalie in two years.
I don’t know if Woll is going to be any good but they have stop shooting themselves at some point.

Reactions: seventieslord

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Exactly. We just stacked up in net with an overqualified #3. And hence me asking why. You typically can't keep three good goalies - have to lose one on waivers. My fear is that it will be Woll getting sacrificed, as we stubbornly stick to a veteran strategy.

You said it. to be number 3 he must pass through waivers. You really think 31 teams are going to pass on him at league minimum? The second we try to bring him up he's gone.

Surely Trev knows this himself, so it seems to be a pointless signing... unless the point is to make him the #2 and lose Woll.

I don't believe Woll will end up on waivers. I would be shocked (and very disappointed), if it isn't Jones on waivers. Keep in mind, every other team will probably already have a #3, so unless there are injuries, we aren't going to lose Jones. Also, by the time the rest of the teams sign their RFA's, there might be less than 10 teams who even have the cap space to do a waiver claim... unless someone new gets injured and goes on LTIR.

Unless your #3 is waiver exempt, this is and always will be the risk. But I can't see a scenario where they let Woll go.

You’d have to assume he had no other offers and is betting on playing well enough in preseason to be picked off waivers.

Or plays well enough when there are injuries, to earn playing time..

Or realizes that his best days are behind him, and he still has a role to play, even if diminished. I mean, it's mid August, and that's the best deal he could get... think about that. It speaks volumes to the decline of what he once was. It's still a good paycheck.

Reactions: Roadhog

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
to say things like this is a clear indication you don't know how LTIR works. You cant just choose to come off LTIR. Murray approached the Leafs to go on LTIR, its something both the team and the player have to agree upon. Doctors have to verify the injury and it gets filed with the NHL. Leafs are paying him to stay home. That is a BIG ASK. 8M to not show up all season? Leafs need the goalie to have a good season, now they are scrambling to add another goalie.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Best case scenario is Woll is lights out in training camp.
Jones craps the bed or twinges his hammy.

Anything to ge that gets him to the AHL should be the mission here.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Interesting
Well it was the likely the only offer on the table at present.

NHL Goalie job positions are limited to only 64 openings with 32 teams needing a starter and backup on their 23 man squads and all the chairs are full,

Although I'm not sure at that price point the Leafs might not carry 3 goalies on the NHL team, or at least should they end up waiving him for cap space reasons, on paper only, & they might not force him to play in the AHL, because if he cleared waivers they could just keep him around the NHL team or let him mentor the young goalies in the AHL when the Marlies are at home etc..

With the NHL workload he took on last year 48 games and posting 27 wins and now for only $875k that is tremendous cap management value and an asset that can really help the Leafs should injuries occur.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Interesting
If he plays decent for even a couple games, microscope will magnify and he can maybe get more monies

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I don't believe Woll will end up on waivers. I would be shocked (and very disappointed), if it isn't Jones on waivers. Keep in mind, every other team will probably already have a #3, so unless there are injuries, we aren't going to lose Jones. Also, by the time the rest of the teams sign their RFA's, there might be less than 10 teams who even have the cap space to do a waiver claim... unless someone new gets injured and goes on LTIR.

Unless your #3 is waiver exempt, this is and always will be the risk. But I can't see a scenario where they let Woll go.

Or plays well enough when there are injuries, to earn playing time..

Or realizes that his best days are behind him, and he still has a role to play, even if diminished. I mean, it's mid August, and that's the best deal he could get... think about that. It speaks volumes to the decline of what he once was. It's still a good paycheck.
Sure there were other options but I was just listing his likely preferable one.

Meant next contract if there is one! Haha
I'd think he'd need to play more than a couple games for it to make a difference, you never know though.

Reactions: Metroid

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Wins tends to be a team stat though.
No question the team around a goalie impacts his stats, and wins is a team based stat but the goalie in net does track along the lines lines of wins, losses and OTL

If Martin Jones can win 27 games for a 2nd year expansion team which is the same amount Sammy won in net for the Leafs last year and both tied for 11th overall in the NHL.

Unless one believed the Seattle offense and defense is > Leafs offense & defense then it suggests Martin Jones moving to a stronger team can only help him record more wins and better GAA & SV% stats.

Leaf fans should feel confident should Sammy or Woll get hurt that the Leafs have a real solid security blanket in Jones to believe they could play him and still record wins in the standings.

Reactions: Jmo89

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Sure there were other options but I was just listing his likely preferable one.

I'd think he'd need to play more than a couple games for it to make a difference, you never know though.
Yeah for sure, was just letting the other poster know a reason why he would wanna sign in Toronto. Decent chance to get some good numbers here IF he plays.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yeah for sure, was just letting the other poster know a reason why he would wanna sign in Toronto. Decent chance to get some good numbers here IF he plays.
Also, something that is overlooked is, if he does end up clearing waivers, he's still playing and living in an NHL city.

Reactions: Metroid

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

Ya that could be a good bet on himself

Reactions: ACC1224

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Also, something that is overlooked is, if he does end up clearing waivers, he's still playing and living in an NHL city.
Its a great setup for a guy like Jones trying to extend his carewe. 2 unproven, injury prone goalies ahead of him where hes guaranteed an NHL city and freat amenities. Just a shame hes played terrible the last half decade

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Its a great setup for a guy like Jones trying to extend his carewe. 2 unproven, injury prone goalies ahead of him where hes guaranteed an NHL city and freat amenities. Just a shame hes played terrible the last half decade
I'm guessing he was the best available option that would sign.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Didn't you spend the entire offseason telling us that Samsanov was going to be worse than Campbell because of wins or something like that?

Wins are probably the worst way to compare goalies.

Campbell on Leafs recorded 31 wins which was better than Samsonov on the Caps with 23 wins in 2021-22 & on the Leafs in with 27 wins in 2022-23.

1691763542812.png

Vs

1691763792925.png

Not sure what you're struggling to understand here..

Campbell recorded 8 more wins on the Leafs in 2021-22 then Sammy did with the Caps being brought in as his replacement.
&
Samsonov improved his wins from 23 wins on Caps to 27 wins on the Leafs an improvement of +4 wins by switching teams but he still finished with -4 less wins than Jack Campbell provided with 31 wins did the previous year. So Samsonov neither last year, nor this year did he replace the 31 wins that Campbell produced, so what are you objecting to that was wrong?

Jack Campbell's record 31-9-6 = contributed 68 points in standings for the Leafs of their 115 total & this year Sammy as his replacement 27-10-5 = 59 points of Leafs 111 total points in the standings.

Thus applying the very same concept last year Sammy in front of a Leafs team recorded 27 wins and Martin Jones on Seattle recorded 27 wins and both tied for 11th overall.. However Jones isn't being brought in to replace Leafs starter this year, he is being brought in as Leafs #3 replacing the disaster that was Matt Murray [26 games &14 wins] and going to compete with Joseph Woll for the backup job, but currently only a security blanket in case one of the others get hurt.

Last edited:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
No question the team around a goalie impacts his stats, and wins is a team based stat but the goalie in net does track along the lines lines of wins, losses and OTL

If Martin Jones can win 27 games for a 2nd year expansion team which is the same amount Sammy won in net for the Leafs last year and both tied for 11th overall in the NHL.

Unless one believed the Seattle offense and defense is > Leafs offense & defense then it suggests Martin Jones moving to a stronger team can only help him record more wins and better GAA & SV% stats.

Leaf fans should feel confident should Sammy or Woll get hurt that the Leafs have a real solid security blanket in Jones to believe they could play him and still record wins in the standings.
Didnt you fall into this win carryover trap last year with your 86 pt projection?
I'm guessing he was the best available option that would sign.
Me too, its a good third string role but no competent NHLer is taking a third string gig. You get someone like Jones with big question marks

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Interesting
It's August and apparently the phone wasn't ringing off the hook. $875k to play anywhere probably looks pretty appealing at this point in time.

Perhaps he realizes he's going on waivers to start the season and hopes he'll be picked up and stay in the bigs?

Reactions: Buds17 and ACC1224

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You have to love what Treliving has done with the goal position by 1st holding Samsonov in check by winning his Arbitration case.

Now instead of paying Matt Murray $4.687 mil cap for a backup goalie that provided 26 games and mere 14 wins, he will be promoting Lou Lam's drafted goalie of the Future Joseph Woll and brought in solid veteran depth in Jones for $875k who put up 27 wins last year tied for 11th overall the same.

1691768418099.png

Now Leafs are getting all 3 goalies for $5.191 mil not much more than Matt Murray formerly occupied but now put on ICE on LTIR.

1691768696960.png

With Woll and Jones only taking up $1.65 mil combined I wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs carried 3 goalies on their 23 man roster and a spare at each position.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
If he could somehow get back to his 2014-2017 form it could be a good signing.

NHL would need to implement the pad size rules from that era. When the final pad reduction rules were implemented, Jones was struggling to adapt. Many were as well, but it was difficult to see since the Sharks gave up a 1st round pick.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
875k even if in the AHL is a decent salary and actually he makes more money if he's in the AHL versus NHL because no escrow for AHL players.

I just see this as a nice upgrade on Kallgren.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad