Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign G Martin Jones (1 year, $875k)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Thanks for the response.

Maybe that wasn't the belief a month ago? It's been dragging on for a while. And Matthews openly admits it is delaying his own re-signing.

They should trade him before it jeopardizes the season.
He openly admitted what and who did he admit it to?

Reactions: joeyjojojrshabadoo

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I'd rather not trade a huge asset in Nylander for someone who is also an expiring asset that we dont have a decent chance of re signing. That's bad asset management. I would rather solidify the defense then gamble on another goalie.

I've said it time and time again that having an elite goalie is great but you usually have to draft them and reap the rewards while they're cheap and that you don't necessarily need one to win the cup. There are many examples of non elite goalies winning the cup and you just need to be hot at the right time. Hill, Binnington, Kuemper, Niemi, Ward, Murray, Osgood. That's 8 cups in the last like 20 yrs won by goalies who weren't elite. Pretty decent percentage.

Samsonov and Woll are both young, with decent pedigree and potential to be those potential starters that could win a cup with a hot run and they're both cheap. I think it's more important to build a solid defense to insulate them.

How is it bad asset management trading a UFA for a UFA?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

"His .895 save percentage since the 2018-19 season is 34th among the 34 goalies who have logged at least 150 games in that time."

Lol... only in Toronto would this guy generate so many headlines.

Don't be surprised if Jones ends up playing half the games. As the quote above indicates, recent history hasn't provided fans much assurances that quality netminding is a focus point for this team. Each season the goalies become increasingly more inexperienced.

Andersen >> Campbell/Mrazek >> Murray/Samsonov >> Samsonov/Woll

Now an injury prone unproven starter. Along with an injury prone unproven backup. And the worst goaltender in the league for relief.

The pedigree of the three combined doesn't give much confidence.

Gambling on cheap goaltending every year hasn't worked yet. The Leafs continue to get "goalied" each playoffs. This is their biggest bet yet.

It's a huge risk for a contending team to take on a pair of netminders who have played less games combined than Marc Andre Fleury has in the playoffs alone.

Along with the worst goalie in the league for relief.
Samsonov was a 1st round draft pick.
For a goalie that is as good as a pedigree as you can get.

Jones and Samsonov were both tied for 11th in the NHL in wins last season.

Both ahead of a couple guys you may have heard of
Freddy and Raanta
Jack Campbell
Markstrom
Bobrovsky
Jarry
Fleury
Swayman
Hart
Demko

Samsonov, Jones, Woll add up to a combined $5.2 million cap hit.
Goalie is an area of depth and value for the Leafs.

Reactions: Bellzy

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
He openly admitted what and who did he admit it to?

Thanks for the response.

I'll rephrase that to "it's been rumoured that Matthews refuses to re-sign until Nylander does".

I thought there was a direct quote from a player coming through Friedman, but it was about something else over the Matthews contract.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

Freddy and Raanta
Jack Campbell
Markstrom
Bobrovsky
Jarry
Fleury
Swayman
Hart
Demko

Thanks for the response.

Draft pedigree is meaningless this far removed. Seattle won games despite Jones, not because of Jones. You are correct: the Leafs have three cheap goalies because they can't afford a proven good goalie.

Jones may still be lost to waivers.

Which means they are back to Hildeby & Petruzzeli for relief. If they do lose Jones, there is 162 NHL games played between all the goalies left in the entire organization. No one other than Samsonov and Woll have any NHL experience.

That doesn't sound like a lot of depth to me.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Thanks for the response.

I'll rephrase that to "it's been rumoured that Matthews refuses to re-sign until Nylander does".

I thought there was a direct quote from a player coming through Friedman, but it was about something else over the Matthews contract.
I don't recall that being rumoured but perhaps I missed it.
Nylander signing won't impact Matthews so I doubt he's concerned at all with it.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
How is it bad asset management trading a UFA for a UFA?
Because you could get a boatload for Nylander as his value is peak right now after potting 40 goals and 87 pts. You could get someone who could either be an RFA or has several years under contract plus picks. Instead you are talking about trading him for another guy that we would most likely lose next summer and all of a sudden your team is worse.

For example, I've thrown the idea of trading Nylander to Colorado for Byram plus picks. You get a young top 4 D man on the rise, who was on pace to have 46 pts and only has a 3.85M AAV and an RFA. All of a sudden you've got a potential stud on defense, who is cost controlled and you save 3-4M, that can be spent on upgrading elsewhere. Doesn't that seem like smarter asset management?

Another example would be trading with Columbus. They have Werenski, Provorov, Severson, Peeke as their top 4 right now which is decent and maybe they'd be willing to trade Jiricek for Nylander who would arguably be their 2nd best forward. I doubt they make that trade but maybe it would interest them?

Reactions: geo25

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I don't recall that being rumoured but perhaps I missed it.
Nylander signing won't impact Matthews so I doubt he's concerned at all with it.

It wasn't that long ago.

At first I thought it was because Matthews and Nylander played together last year. So Matthews was waiting to see if Nylander got re-signed so he knew what the roster looked like. Then I realized how stupid that sounded.

It's clearly a tactic by Matthews camp to extract as much money from the organization as possible.

This one references the Friedman quote I mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: geo25

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Because you could get a boatload for Nylander as his value is peak right now after potting 40 goals and 87 pts. You could get someone who could either be an RFA or has several years under contract plus picks. Instead you are talking about trading him for another guy that we would most likely lose next summer and all of a sudden your team is worse.

For example, I've thrown the idea of trading Nylander to Colorado for Byram plus picks. You get a young top 4 D man on the rise, who was on pace to have 46 pts and only has a 3.85M AAV and an RFA. All of a sudden you've got a potential stud on defense, who is cost controlled and you save 3-4M, that can be spent on upgrading elsewhere. Doesn't that seem like smarter asset management?

Another example would be trading with Columbus. They have Werenski, Provorov, Severson, Peeke as their top 4 right now which is decent and maybe they'd be willing to trade Jiricek for Nylander who would arguably be their 2nd best forward. I doubt they make that trade but maybe it would interest them?

Ok...

I see what you are getting at. I just think that if you are hoping to get a long term asset from trading Nylander, it will be a less impactful player. If they want to win this year, they need to have the strongest roster possible.

That's why I suggested an impact player like Hellebuyck for a Cinderella run for just this year if they knew for certain they weren't gonna re-sign Nylander.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs bring in a guy who will only play games if we have an injury, and who has no cap impact if he doesn’t play. He offers NHL backup calibre goaltending and he can play a bunch of games if necessary. Has had hot streaks.

If he doesn't slip through waivers, literally costs the team a plane ticket and some Meal vouchers, so effectively a no-risk move to try to get an NHL goalie to the Marlies for insurance.

Why would you look at this move so logically, as well as comprehend the situation so well for what its intended purpose was for? :wg:

Besides lets keep in mind Martin Jones was a UFA and NO team has chosen to sign him in the 5+ weeks since free agency opened July 1st, when any interested team in him could have and now he signs for $875k as training camps nears as NHL insurance in case of injury.. The risk of NHL waivers loss would not be high unless some other team suffers and injury in Camp themselves at the position, and then claim him for the same reason Leafs signed him as veteran depth.

If the above situation did occur and the Leafs didn't want to risk him, if they thought he would be claimed then there is nothing stopping them from carrying 3 goalies into the season because at his price point of $875k he would cost no more than carrying a spare forward or spare Dman on the 23 man roster.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

It wasn't that long ago.

At first I thought it was because Matthews and Nylander played together last year. So Matthews was waiting to see if Nylander got re-signed so he knew what the roster looked like. Then I realized how stupid that sounded.

It's clearly a tactic by Matthews camp to extract as much money from the organization as possible.

This one references the Friedman quote I mentioned.
Those are just blogs, their opinion is no more valid than anyone else's.
The posting of their thoughts doesn't constitute a rumour.

Reactions: bax and The Iceman

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I have no issues with his signing. Seems like a smart depth add.
This all said, posting 27 wins in just 42 games on the back of a .887 save percentage is rather shocking. Seattle truly did outscore their issues last year.

Reactions: Buds17

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Those are just blogs, their opinion is no more valid than anyone else's.
The posting of their thoughts doesn't constitute a rumour.

The quotes are from Elliotte Friedman and David Pagnotta.

The authors add their own opinions of course. That's expected from any news source. But the original sources of the information are legit.

Unless these guys made up the exact same story and added fake quotes from Friedman and Pagnotta.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
The quotes are from Elliotte Friedman and David Pagnotta.

The authors add their own opinions of course. That's expected from any news source. But the original sources of the information are legit.

Unless these guys made up the exact same story and added fake quotes from Friedman and Pagnotta.
Friedman and Pagnotta quoted Matthews?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I have no issues with his signing. Seems like a smart depth add.
This all said, posting 27 wins in just 42 games on the back of a .887 save percentage is rather shocking. Seattle truly did outscore their issues last year.
Some of it also seems to be that Seattle defended better than some of the previous teams Jones played for (he's posted seasons with a better SV% that came alongside a higher GAA).

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Here are some FUN Facts.

Last year Martin Jones played in 48 games and won 27 tying him for 11th overall in the NHL among goalies playing in front of a 2nd year expansion team in Seattle. Matt Murray played in 26 games and won 14 games at a cap usage of $$4,687,500 for the Maple Leafs.. Jones won more games last year than Matt Murray even played in.

Now Treliving has magically made Murray disappear on LTIR saving the Leafs $4.687 mil and replaced him on the roster as a backup goalie for $875k in case of emergency.

Martin Jones won a Stanley Cup in LA in 2014 and Matt Murray won Stanley Cup in 2016 & 2017 with the Pens.

In the 2016 Stanley Cup Finals Martin Jones and his San Jose Sharks dueled Matt Murray and his Pens going head to head,

Martin Jones Game Log

1691679409185.png

Matt Murray Game Log

1691679736825.png

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Freddy and Raanta
Jack Campbell
Markstrom
Bobrovsky
Jarry
Fleury
Swayman
Hart
Demko

Wins has always been a team stat, but Sammy certainly had a good year when healthy

Reactions: Menzinger

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Zero risk depth signing, veteran goalie who has played as a starter. I like it, well done Treliving.
Perfect signing to back up Leafs starters Samsonov and Woll and a veteran with lots of experience and injury insurance at a price point at league minimum $875k.

Jones actually played more NHL games last year 48 than Sammy did with 42 games and both recorded 27 wins for their teams.

The fact that Leafs have Zero NHL experience on their AHL farm team this is a perfect move, well done BT.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Freddy and Raanta
Jack Campbell
Markstrom
Bobrovsky
Jarry
Fleury
Swayman
Hart
Demko

butttttt.. Jones sv % was .886 ... Jones went on a super hot streak that helped him win those 27 games but he's not as good as his 27 wins would suggest. Sammy is full value for every win. IMO He's going to challenge for a Veznia some day, if we ever get our defence in order. Same number of win's but not nearly the same quality of goalie.

Sammy had 27 QS (Quality Starts), Jones had 20.
Sammy had 7 RBS (Really Bad Starts), Jones had 14 (Yes RBS is actually a stat) :)

Reactions: Menzinger

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Some important context on this signing .. last year the Leafs had Kallgren as their #3 who had to start some games early in the season. This was while Woll was breaking out.

Jones is a nice #3
I think Woll was injured to start last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad