Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign G Martin Jones (1 year, $875k)

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think the plan was Hilderby and Petra were going to split with Petra getting the edge, but Jones being there likely changes things.
The question I would have is how much the Leafs are investing in Petruzelli vs the recently drafted Dennis Hildeby. Hildeby has been putting up some serious numbers for Farjestads so you wonder if he's here in North America to be a Marlie or if he's okay going to the Growlers for extended stretches.
Thats what has me wondering right now. Hildeby is the youngest, so i assume playing time is the primary goal but its tough to see Jones or Petra in the ECHL

Reactions: banks

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Thats what has me wondering right now. Hildeby is the youngest, so i assume playing time is the primary goal but its tough to see Jones or Petra in the ECHL

Kyle thinks McKay will be the 3rd goalie for the Marlies. This way Hilderby can be the full time starter with the Growlers, all though another youngster in Peksa also needs starts so we'll see I guess

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Anyone have any ideas on the Marlies goaltending situation? Would Jones and Petruzelli split?

I think you have to expect injuries on any team, let alone one like ours with questions on health and consistency in net.
For Jones to play a meaningful number of games, there would have to be a very long-term injury to Samsonov. Maybe he ends up getting 4 or 5 games during the season, but it won't be more than that barring the aforementioned long-term injury.

Reactions: Roadhog

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
For Jones to play a meaningful number of games, there would have to be a very long-term injury to Samsonov. Maybe he ends up getting 4 or 5 games during the season, but it won't be more than that barring the aforementioned long-term injury.
History is a great teacher.

Kallgren played double digit games in each of the last 2 seasons as the leafs #3 goalie.

Reactions: banks and colchar

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Meh, I have no confidence in Sammy like some of you guys. I just don't think he is a good/durable goalie. I see him playing 40 games tops. Jones is getting 10 at least, and Woll will get 30

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Meh, I have no confidence in Sammy like some of you guys. I just don't think he is a good/durable goalie. I see him playing 40 games tops. Jones is getting 10 at least, and Woll will get 30
My exact expectation of this season. Sammy's a wee bit flaky too, he can get in a funk for no apparent reason. Jones could/can be a big warm body who at the very least will square up to the puck. I dream of Woll running with the ball as the starter but that remains to be seen. I'm still not entirely convinced he's a future NHL starter.

Last edited:

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Sadly the Bolts were to smart to fall for that trap. Dubas might have. I just hope his family is okay.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Really surprised he got through and I'm glad he did. I thought he looked great in the pre season.

Yep. I'd be pretty confident if he was pressed into starting a stretch of games. Most teams have their #3 play at some point, sometimes for 10+ games. I'm glad to have Jones if that happens.

I actually love following those stories whenever they pop up in the NHL. It's shockingly common for a goalie to play over their head when they get a shot.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Minor discussion regarding the AHL goaltending. McKay laid an egg last season in the ECHL. Cavallin was much better all year including the playoffs despite McKay getting chosen over him at first. Cavallin is 3.5 years younger too.

At some point MLSE may have to consider moving out a goalie prospect to sign Cavallin to an ELC.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Yup, not everything works out as I think. Did you think Jones was going to start 5 straight with a 9.32 in 11 games?
He is right behind Adin Hill in VGK for stats in at least 10 gp, should we sign Jones to the same deal?
Jones has even blown away my expectations, but I sure as shit knew Samsonov was brutal and Jones would do better

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Jones has even blown away my expectations, but I sure as shit knew Samsonov was brutal and Jones would do better
Jones is playing no different from when he was in Seattle during their most desperate time, which is obviously what i hoped for (and didnt want.)

Didnt think Sammy would be this bad and no, neither did you.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Jones is playing no different from when he was in Seattle during their most desperate time, which is obviously what i hoped for (and didnt want.)

Didnt think Sammy would be this bad and no, neither did you.
Go look at my post history. I've been saying Samsonov is shit since last season already. For all the shit I took for that opinion, I'm calling in the crows for sure.

Jones might be exceeding all expectations, but at his and Woll's cap hits you can't get much better value than that. Which I also said in the offseason

Can we not be happy Jones is doing well, and agree he’s doing better than anyone expected?

It’s not about being right or wrong, it’s about our team winning, and whoever helps them do it.

Go Leafs Go!
Not when I constantly got shit on for saying this team is stupid for hitching the wagon to samsonov

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Go look at my post history. I've been saying Samsonov is shit since last season already. For all the shit I took for that opinion, I'm calling in the crows for sure.

Jones might be exceeding all expectations, but at his and Woll's cap hits you can't get much better value than that. Which I also said in the offseason

Not when I constantly got shit on for saying this team is stupid for hitching the wagon to samsonov
Congratulations. Whats next?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If Jones can keep this up (and there's no rush to make any decision yet), I could see a cheap extension around 1.5-2 mil.

Would certainly help navigate the teams up coming tighter cap year next season, especially with Woll already locked in for dirt cheap

Reactions: LeafSteel

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
If Jones can keep this up (and there's no rush to make any decision yet), I could see a cheap extension around 1.5-2 mil.

Would certainly help navigate the teams up coming tighter cap year next season, especially with Woll already locked in for dirt cheap
Can we afford that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad