Post-Game Talk: Leafs Shutout 2-0

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I understand them better than you, clearly. It's pretty dumb to go by all situations when we had a 4-1 advantage in powerplays. Not to mention we were trailing so it should be a given that we drive the play a bit more. We still played poorly and I don't see why you have to dispute that
5-vs-5
We had a 56.32% Cf% and a 54.29% SCF% and a 50% HDCF%.

still mystified? lol

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
5-vs-5
We had a 56.32% Cf% and a 54.29% SCF% and a 50% HDCF%.
50% HDCF% while you're trailing is great if you want to be a slightly below average team. Minnesota is a terrible possession team (2nd worst in the league) and they were winning. Stop pretending that a cf% advantage in that situation means anything

Last edited:

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
we need matthews to play like the generational talent he is if we want to turn around this offense. hope he's back later this month -- fully healthy.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
50% HDCF% while you're trailing is great if you want to be a slightly below average team. Minnesota is a terrible possession team (2nd worst in the league) and they were winning. Stop pretending that a cf% advantage in that situation means anything

Buddy, you said you are mystified at how babcock can say "he thought his team played well tonight," advanced stats back up his point. I have never seen one positive post from you lol

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Buddy, you said you are mystified at how babcock can say "he thought his team played well tonight," advanced stats back up his point. I have never seen one positive post from you lol
You showed me you don't really know what you're talking about when it comes to advanced stats. But now that I know you think they're important and should be taken at face value, do you feel good that the Leafs are 18th in the league in cf%? Surely that means the Leafs don't even deserve to be a playoff team

Reactions: Kurtz and cookie

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
You showed me you don't really know what you're talking about when it comes to advanced stats. But now that I know you think they're important and should be taken at face value, do you feel good that the Leafs are 18th in the league in cf%? Surely that means the Leafs don't even deserve to be a playoff team

lol, this guy was pushing SOG as his main anti leaf stat a few games ago, your hilarious :)

Not concerned or even care about possession, but its a tool to be used against tools. Kings were tops last year and didn't make the playoffs, Pens I think were around 15ish and they won the cup.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I have learned to ignore him a while ago.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
lol, this guy was pushing SOG as his main anti leaf stat a few games ago, your hilarious :)

Not concerned or even care about possession, but its a tool to be used against tools. Kings were tops last year and didn't make the playoffs, Pens I think were around 15ish and they won the cup.
seems legit. possession doesn't matter, unless you're looking at a 1 game sample size against a terrible possession team that's leading. In that case it's iron clad proof that you played great. This is par for the course from you

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
seems legit. possession doesn't matter, unless you're looking at a 1 game sample size against a terrible possession team that's leading. In that case it's iron clad proof that you played great. This is par for the course from you

Possession was only 1 of a few stats i showed :) try again lol

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Possession was only 1 of a few stats i showed :) try again lol
the only noteworthy one was that we didn't even get an advantage in high quality chances against them. If you're content with being a team that's on Boston's or Montreal's level that could miss the playoffs as easily as they could make it then fine, because that's about what we're getting

Reactions: cookie

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
They probably don't, but many reporters and future hockey personnel do peruse these forums. Bob MacKenzie used to be a member and famously called someone an asshat, and, if I recall correctly, Mike Commodore accidentally showed that he browses the site some years back. You have to remember that a good 90% of a site's traffic is that of non-participants. I'd wager Dubas has dabbled on these forums and we know for certain that Shanahan and Dubas browse through Leafs and hockey-related twitter posts, considering that they've liked certain tweets in the past.

Then there's players like Nazem Kadri whose instagram Bob Ross Halloween costume post can only have been influenced by Steve Dangle-influenced social media posts. He probably reads these forums too. I'd also wager that many player agents also take notice of, what is, the Internet's biggest hockey messaging board. Then we have the Leafs' very own cap genius Pridham, of hockey internet fame no less. So there's some names.

Also, what's the point of your post, aside from trying to show how high a horse you're on? Certain rumors do start from this site, and I've given you at least two bigger names that are internet-savvy enough to catch onto what is contemporary hockey. (Though I'll argue that the Athletic has bigger clout)

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
They probably don't, but many reporters and future hockey personnel do peruse these forums. Bob MacKenzie used to be a member and famously called someone an asshat, and, if I recall correctly, Mike Commodore accidentally showed that he browses the site some years back. You have to remember that a good 90% of a site's traffic is that of non-participants. I'd wager Dubas has dabbled on these forums and we know for certain that Shanahan and Dubas browse through Leafs and hockey-related twitter posts, considering that they've liked certain tweets in the past.

Then there's players like Nazem Kadri whose instagram Bob Ross Halloween costume post can only have been influenced by Steve Dangle-influenced social media posts. He probably reads these forums too. I'd also wager that many player agents also take notice of, what is, the Internet's biggest hockey messaging board. Then we have the Leafs' very own cap genius Pridham, of hockey internet fame no less. So there's some names.

Also, what's the point of your post, aside from trying to show how high a horse you're on? Certain rumors do start from this site, and I've given you at least two bigger names that are internet-savvy enough to catch onto what is contemporary hockey. (Though I'll argue that the Athletic has bigger clout)

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I still have faith that Babcock can get this turned around, but it needs to be soon(meaning as in the system changes)

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
I didn't have high hopes for an exciting game against Minnesaota in the first place, but not even half way through the second I turned it off and went to bed. Appears I didn't miss anything anyway.

Aside from maybe the Kadri line there isn't much to like about the lineup right now. And if Babs could roll five lines he'd probably split up Kadri and JVR too because more than two stars on one line is apparently unacceptable these days.

Bring back the high flying offense, this system/team is borderline unwatchable right now. The "stop complaining, we're winning" argument is running out of steam too because right now we're not scoring OR winning.

I could see focusing more on D when Andersen was struggling early but he's playing excellent now so let's stack a couple of lines and start chasing opposing goalies again. We get outshot every night anyway so what's a few more if it means this team has some confidence and creativity again.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I still have faith that Babcock can get this turned around, but it needs to be soon(meaning as in the system changes)
Babcock has to want to turn around first and he obviously doesn't. He said he liked our games against Minnesota and the flyers and the only thing he'd change is to tighten things up further. It's getting scary

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Agree with what they are saying on the Fan right now - let's the horses go. This is an offense-first team. Yes defenive play is important, but if you don't have the players to do it......

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

In any given year, at least 3 of the top 10 Corsi teams miss the playoffs completely.

And considering the top 16 teams in the league make it (based on points) ....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad