Post-Game Talk: Leafs Shutout 2-0

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
The weirdest part about our dump and chase game is that we’re not maintaining possession over the red line, dumping it into a corner and attacking a defender, were using a long stretch pass from our d to a stationary man at the red line who tips the puck deep and go chase.

The way we’re doing it, the opposing d knows exactly where the puck is going and is already moving that way based on the flow of the game where if we actually maintained possession over the red line then dumped it, it would force the d to hold the blue line letting us get an extra few steps on the d man while he tries to corral the puck in the corner. Not to mention it actually gives us the opportunity to actually skate the puck into the zone as well if they try to cheat for the dump

Reactions: Kurtz

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I'd be tempted to go all-out offence for a game or two and get some guys going. Sit Martin and Moore and put Komarov on the 4th line. And get Kap in there too

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
This team has become incredibly boring to watch. I never even watched the third... the first time I've actively not watched part of a game this season aside from the ones on our Western swing (just too late to stay up and watch). This is crazy. Our offense has completely disappeared.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Well we finally played a very good game both offensively, and defensively.

I bet if we hit the net more than 40% of the time (which is the exact number), we might have had a chance, and the hate in this thread wouldn't be here. But instead we wasted countless HD chances shooting at the glass.

Very glad to see that kind of game from the boys after this poor stretch of play, but hit the f***ing net.. oh and Marleau-Hyman-Marner does.not.work. Shocking.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Two things, Leo's job is not to score points are irrelevant to assess his value and what is the quality of competition like while he is on the ice?
why did he get 4 minutes of PP time if we don't want to use him for offense?
also it doesn't really matter what the QoC is if he can't handle it whatsoever. Yeah I don't blame him for being garbage against great players, but he's still garbage and that's no reason to not change things

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
The weirdest part about our dump and chase game is that we’re not maintaining possession over the red line, dumping it into a corner and attacking a defender, were using a long stretch pass from our d to a stationary man at the red line who tips the puck deep and go chase.

The way we’re doing it, the opposing d knows exactly where the puck is going and is already moving that way based on the flow of the game where if we actually maintained possession over the red line then dumped it, it would force the d to hold the blue line letting us get an extra few steps on the d man while he tries to corral the puck in the corner. Not to mention it actually gives us the opportunity to actually skate the puck into the zone as well if they try to cheat for the dump

This is what we are doing?

All 4 lines? All the time? In every game situation?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
This team has become incredibly boring to watch. I never even watched the third... the first time I've actively not watched part of a game this season aside from the ones on our Western swing (just too late to stay up and watch). This is crazy. Our offense has completely disappeared.

You could say the same thing about the NHL in general.

Most of the hits and excitement come in the pregame promotional package.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I think as the season goes on more and more people are developing the same opinion as you.

If Nylander and Marner didn't have Nylander and Marner name plates on their shoulders, would they still get the same consideration as they get? If Brown and Hyman had as poor of a start in the first 20ish games would they still get ice time?

Marner and Nylander are on the team to drive offence, if they don't do that then they are not useful to the team. Yes they are young and yes players take time to develop but the NHL is not a development league, its the you better be ready league or you don't play here league.

IIRC Naz was sent down to the AHL a few times and it didn't kill his career. If Naz can be sent down, why can't Marner and/or Nylander?

No, it's not a development league.

But in a cap world, players get more opportunities based on their cap hit then they do skill.

We bury middle aged players in the minors and replace them with youth. Some teams don't sign them at all.

The trend is younger, cheaper. As a result, you play minutes in the NHL that you might otherwise not have got years ago.

League wide, kids get chances to play based on this. I made a comment about being able to buy a beer and Marner.

Quite a few NHLers will have been with a team for 2 seasons before they can legally order a glass of wine at a team dinner.

That's just .... odd.

coupe93

Dec 15, 2009
5 games in 7 nights after tonight's game against a rested Detroit team. Four being road games with travel. Our best player injured and missing action while playing the worst month of scheduling in the NHL. Can't say I'm overly disappointed or surprised.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If Marner, Nylander, Bozak, and JVR constantly get called out for being one-dimensional, so should Leo.

Marner is not really one-dimensional, he is just not executing plays at an acceptable level.
JVR has not been one-dimensional since game 18 or so. Normally (O only)
Nylander is so far from one-dimensional it's not even funny

Bozak is One-Dimensional (O)
Leo is One-Dimensional (D)

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Pretty safe to say the Leafs are a pretty average team without Matthews their star franchise player.

Hard to say where they're at right now. They were winning despite playing poorly. Guys aren't scoring, they're getting out-played and out-shot, they're not putting in a full effort....... but yeah average seems about right for the time being

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
I want to believe that Babs' post-game comments are for the purpose of protecting the players, because the only other explanation is that he's blind or in denial. This recent change in systems and his overall player usage have been abysmal, it was showing in the shot metrics and now it's showing in the wins/losses column. Surely he's not the only one that can't see it, is he?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Any hopes that Marner and Nylander would pick up the offensive slack in Matthews absence simply hasn't happened.

It's nothing new, same old Hockey patterns...

Good players being line juggled and can't find rhythm. Questionable player usage. Questionable player Ice Time. Questionable match-ups

Good players missing assignments and plays. Players look out of step. Players can't score goals.

Which pattern developed first?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
first time? please explain

You knew prior to the game when Stallock was interviewed that he as pissed and highly motivated against the Leafs in this game after feeling mistreated by the Leafs organization in the past.

A shutout seems vindictive on his part to send that message.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
How many times did Nylander fan on his shot tonight ?

to be fair to willie, he had 6 or 7 really dominant shifts last night where he looked like the player we want him to be and the player he can be, he just needs to be stronger on the forecheck and a lot more relentless on the back check shift in shift out, and stop friggin around with the puck on the opposing blueline, get it deep get it friggin deep

The good: Leafs were pretty listless through 2 periods, but did play well defensively, when they cranked it up in the 3rd other then not scoring looked pretty scary. Leo was a hitting machine last night

The Bad: NHL linesman have to learn that they are not the show, teasing drops and throwing guys out of the circle after the bite on the tease needs to be addressed by the league and straightened out

The Ugly: LeaFlanders trying to find someway to hang the loss on Polak even though Polak once again had a strong game. One(1) yes LeaFlanders only 1 icing and zero giveaways

Reactions: ThewThew

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Does anybody think that at some point Lou takes control of this situation and starts dealing Babcocks toys (Hyman Leo Polak) for below market value (ie anything he can get)just to get them away him?

i think my iq just went down 10pts just for reading this

welcome LeaFlander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->