Proposal: Leafs should move Frederik Andersen

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Wasn't there just a Andersen for Murray trade thread a few days ago? Wasn't it just as bad.

Some fans don't deserve their players
And some teams don't deserve goalies too. Imagine a goalie wasting his prime on a shit team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't disagree. If the internal assessment is he's on a decline or a bad fit or doesn't have the mental makeup to take us into the playoffs and win multiple rounds, why waste time?

He's a 30 year old goalie under contract for 2 more post season runs, has no track record to speak of and his game is falling apart... I'm not close to the situation, but if the organization sees red flags it's time to move on.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
You're ignoring what I'm saying. We don't need him to "make the big save" every time, we know we're going to get scored on. The way the offense plays, we're going to give up odd-man rushes when we've been cycling for a minute at a time. We're just going to score on you more than you're going to score on those rushes over a long enough sample. Some of the rushes are going in, that's ok. Penalty shots only go in a third of the time, I'm hoping our goalie can get that down to a quarter of the time when he has the advantage of backcheckers helping him.

What's killing us is the routine shots going in on top of those rushes. What's killing us is Freddy letting in the first shot of the game or back to back goals within a minute of each-other. Those aren't on the defense, those are mental fragility. It's the same thing that happens in game 7s, he's easy to get off his game.

Again, it's not "a little stretch", it's going on 2 months now, or half the season. His December save% was .904, his January is .881.

Knee jerk reaction, he has a bad stretch, overplayed behind a awful defense!

Read on hf Leafs (1 of few who didnt want to drive him to the airport) that with Andersen starting the games, Leafs on pace for 105 points, with this losing streak and everything!

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Read on hf Leafs (1 of few who didnt want to drive him to the airport) that with Andersen starting the games, Leafs on pace for 105 points, with this losing streak and everything!

It's two months, 50% of the season, not "a bad stretch". This has happened every single year he's played in Toronto, he has back to back months with a .800-something save percentage and then goes .940 the next month.

That would be a cool stat if we had an average starter to compare point paces with on this team. Hutchinson playing exclusively on the 2nd game of back-to-backs before Keefe got here isn't really a great baseline for comparison.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
It's two months, 50% of the season, not "a bad stretch". This has happened every single year he's played in Toronto, he has back to back months with a .800-something save percentage and then goes .940 the next month.

That would be a cool stat if we had an average starter to compare point paces with on this team. Hutchinson playing exclusively on the 2nd game of back-to-backs before Keefe got here isn't really a great baseline for comparison.

Live in your illusion that Andersen is the mainproblem, Dubas is the mainproblem, built a soft team with no defense to go somwhere, and not solving the backup problem since last season, most teams goes 60-40 ,50-50 to have rested goalies to the playoffs almost 80--20 doesnt seems healthy.

Even with some bad goals lately, you cant say that Andersen has let in stinkers for 2 month, goals against happens, deflections, good shots, and with Leafs open saloon door of style, hes been left out to dry in many games!

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Wasn't there just a Andersen for Murray trade thread a few days ago? Wasn't it just as bad.

Some fans don't deserve their players
But that's about the only goalie available with a proven track record come playoff time. Pens obviously have zero need for Andersen but leafs need another goalie. I proposed leafs getting Casey desmith a while back which would be a major upgrade and could take some pressure of freddie. Pens may need murray yet for another cup run

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Trade the 1 guy whos carried them to a decent record, good idea.

He's played horribly lately, but we've played the crap out of him for years and the defence is missing 2 out of the what 3-4 legit NHLers in their D core.

How about, we trade for NHL D. Doesnt have to be doughty or Weber, even bringing back hainsey wouldnt be horrible.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Mantooth

Mar 4, 2013
Poor Andersen...Id love to see any goalie play behind this awful defence and an offence that has no desire to backcheck...This is NOT on Andersen.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Poor Andersen...Id love to see any goalie play behind this awful defence and an offence that has no desire to backcheck...This is NOT on Andersen.
This is not all on Andersen correct but he could be better too especially when your defense is banged up. My main concern is playoff time . The need for another goalie is great and an upgrade on defense ( number 3/4) is there .

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I kind of hope the Leafs do trade Andersen. Then Leaf fans can see just how leaky their defense is when he's not around.

We had no idea, thank you random hockey fan for pointing out the glaring and super obvious flaw in our team structure, it was completely unknown until you pointed it out.

Goodness... it's like a weight has been lifted. Thank you... thank you Sidney the kidney, your hockey knowledge is truly amazing!

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
He gets one more shot at playoff success. Another game 7 egg and he on market. Question is who is better ? Andersen gets job done in reg season but you need a clutch goalie come fame 7 time in Boston... matt murray for kapanen?
He may have had a poor game 7 but the offensive support also laid an egg in game 7 as well. Only an Andersen shutout would have won that game.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
He may have had a poor game 7 but the offensive support also laid an egg in game 7 as well. Only an Andersen shutout would have won that game.
Until he wins the big game there are always going to be that doubt. He cant afford another egg come playoff time .

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yes the Leafs offense wasn't good in last years Game 7 since they only scored 1 goal. However I also remember when the Bruins made it 2-0 it was a bad goal that went past him and something like that doesn't help.

In Game 7 one year earlier when the Leafs scored 4 goals and had the lead going into the 3rd period, the Bruins eventually tied it and their 5th goal was another shot that I thought Andersen should have saved. However I also remember a horrible back check by Jake Gardiner which didn't help.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Andersen, sandin and first for price. Price won a gold medal with a broken freaking neck!!! Woooooooo

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Andersen has struggled but I thought the plan was to play him less this year so he was fresher. That plan seems to have been thrown out the window when a competent backup wasn’t acquired. He faces a lot of rubber most nights and should probably not be playing the number of games that he is but the team is just outside the playoffs and the coach doesn’t seem to trust the backup so Andersen gets the call too often.
Anyways, trading a goalie who is a proven top starter seems like a bad idea even if he is struggling a bit.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Andersen has struggled but I thought the plan was to play him less this year so he was fresher. That plan seems to have been thrown out the window when a competent backup wasn’t acquired. He faces a lot of rubber most nights and should probably not be playing the number of games that he is but the team is just outside the playoffs and the coach doesn’t seem to trust the backup so Andersen gets the call too often.
Anyways, trading a goalie who is a proven top starter seems like a bad idea even if he is struggling a bit.
Another thought that was mentioned last week is how Andersen's better when he plays more, so when they tried to change his schedule and I think that includes practice it messed with his rhythm.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Y'all are missing the genius of the OP. Last time a thread like this was made it was about Matthews, and after a few pages of some ribbing he exploded.

This is a tactical trade thread.
So then...are you trying to reverse the Jinx by stating such a thing? If so then I get that jinx back on track by calling you on that!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

Yes,they had 8 or 9 back to backs in Oct/Nov...not one win with the back-up goalie. Could very easily point to that at seasons end as to why they don't qualify for post season play.Water under the bridge though now. Presently ,say what you want about the decimated Leaf D corps,but Fred is playing below average. Worse than the recent numbers show. It hurts to watch him!

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'm sure the OP means well but pass. This seems like an emotional response to his slump. Way too early to downgrade him over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad