Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Connor Brown (3 years; $2.1 AAV)

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Why would this worry you ? I'm a fan of the guy but we have plenty of wingers and if we could pkg him to improve a position of weakness i'd be all for it .

good thing is that we don't have to worry about Hyman being traded , his value went from extremely low to negative since Babcock got him signed to a ridiculous contract .

I agree its a great problem to have ,somebody is getting traded ,most likely jvr ,bozak or jake gardiner ,since jake will lkley not accept the fact he ll not get a penny more than zaitsev ...let the trades begin

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
His agent didn't fight for more money saying how Hyman is barely an NHLer yet he is getting paid more?

You feel Hyman got more because he has a better Agent? :laugh:

Sounds like you have a very low opinion of the Leaf negotiators.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
His agent didn't fight for more money saying how Hyman is barely an NHLer yet he is getting paid more?

The problem is some fans are smarter, wiser, know more about hockey, have more experience, and know more about winning then Brendan Shanahan, Lou Lamoriello, Kyle Dubas, Mark Hunter, Brandon Pridham, etc. I would fire them all and hire Wonder Dan personally.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Hyman, Zach LW NHL 25 $2,000,000 $2,000,000 $2,500,000 $2,500,000
UFA

Brown, Connor RW NHL 23 $2,100,000 $2,100,000 $2,100,000
RFA

Connor is making more than Zach the next 2 seasons, but then of course UFA years come into play.

If things continue to progress as they should Connor will be making more than Zach in 4 years.

If Brown is that much more of a talent than Hyman, the difference could be substantial.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hyman makes $150,000 more than Brown. After taxes (depending on size/location of housing etc) they take home roughly the same amount.

How is that the narrative around this signing, rather than the Leafs signing a player who scored 20 goals from the shutdown line, and is only 23.

Ya'll need to learn to be happy

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Who gives a ****? I'm sure Brown is thrilled to have signed, and I'm sure he was happy for Hyman when he signed as well. Stop making issues out of everything, people.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
My prediction was 6 years at 3M AAV. So 3 years at 2.1M sounds about right.

I literally have 0 concerns when it comes to this management team and cap management. Like, some people were freaking out about the third year on Marleau's contract, when it's clear he will be traded, or develop an allergy :laugh:

The only bad contract is Matt Martin. Even then, it's mainly because it was 2 seasons too long, the cap, while ideally was lower, is still fine.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Also, if my idea that Hyman is the internal replacement to Leo after this season, having Hyman-Kadri-Brown as our shutdown line for two seasons at 8.85M AAV, is insanely awesome

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Hyman, Zach LW NHL 25 $2,000,000 $2,000,000 $2,500,000 $2,500,000
UFA

Brown, Connor RW NHL 23 $2,100,000 $2,100,000 $2,100,000
RFA

Connor is making more than Zach the next 2 seasons, but then of course UFA years come into play.

If things continue to progress as they should Connor will be making more than Zach in 4 years.

If Brown is that much more of a talent than Hyman, the difference could be substantial.

who cares about buying into Hyman's ufa years ? 4th line energy players like him scramble to get even a 2 year deal near the league min every off season

Hyman got the deal he did because Babcock loves hard working untalented players for some reason and pushed to have him overpaid .

Brown's deal is fair for both sides with maybe the team getting a slight win due to getting the third year . However if compared to what Hyman signed for he did have to settle for less .

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
who cares about buying into Hyman's ufa years ? 4th line energy players like him scramble to get even a 2 year deal near the league min every off season

Hyman got the deal he did because Babcock loves hard working untalented players for some reason and pushed to have him overpaid .

Brown's deal is fair for both sides with maybe the team getting a slight win due to getting the third year . However if compared to what Hyman signed for he did have to settle for less .

I think this will be Hyman's best ever contract in his career, he is a 4th liner and look how people complain about Matt Martin's contract while Hyman is younger and faster they have pretty much the same skillset. So when Hyman settles into his natural role hopefully he will be paid appropriately.

NB Hyman's best ever contract as a % of cap he may earn more $$ per yr in 10 years say if he is still in the league but the cap would have to be higher for that

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Saw the alert on this deal just before the Mayweather-McGregor PPV started on Saturday. Fantastic contract.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think this will be Hyman's best ever contract in his career, he is a 4th liner and look how people complain about Matt Martin's contract while Hyman is younger and faster they have pretty much the same skillset. So when Hyman settles into his natural role hopefully he will be paid appropriately.

NB Hyman's best ever contract as a % of cap he may earn more $$ per yr in 10 years say if he is still in the league but the cap would have to be higher for that
To be fair Hyman is only making about $1/HF post about him per year. This of course includes threads that are not about him.
#50pointhyman

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
To be fair Hyman is only making about $1/HF post about him per year. This of course includes threads that are not about him.
#50pointhyman

his father/agent/coach Mr babcock got him a great deal $1 per post is a great contract

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

I agree but i'll add regardless of % of cap he'll never get paid more than he does now .

I'll also add if Babs wasn't our coach and if we went into the season without making any trades he'd be hard pressed to make the team with the amount of wingers we have now .

Marner - Nylander - Marleau - JVR - Brown - Komo - Martin - Levio - Sosh - Kap - Hyman , that's 11 wingers fighting for 8 spots and to be the 13th frwd .

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I agree but i'll add regardless of % of cap he'll never get paid more than he does now .

I'll also add if Babs wasn't our coach and if we went into the season without making any trades he'd be hard pressed to make the team with the amount of wingers we have now .

Marner - Nylander - Marleau - JVR - Brown - Komo - Martin - Levio - Sosh - Kap - Hyman , that's 11 wingers fighting for 8 spots and to be the 13th frwd .

I take him over Martin, Leivo and sosh pretty easily. Maybe even in place of komo if there was a decent trade return for him. Sosh I think will go down and unless a crazy amount of injuries happen I don't think we see him again. Also add aaltonen to that list he can play C but unless it is Moore specifically that is injured Nylander should be cover for the other 3 C's.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Why are people whining about Hyman in this thread. He was overpaid by .5 ish. Brown was underpaid by .5 ish. The cap is fine. Who cares who got what?

Sure Hyman at 1.5/1.6 would have been my preference. But brown should have got 2.6-2.8 so it works out the same from a cap perspective

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I take him over Martin, Leivo and sosh pretty easily. Maybe even in place of komo if there was a decent trade return for him. Sosh I think will go down and unless a crazy amount of injuries happen I don't think we see him again. Also add aaltonen to that list he can play C but unless it is Moore specifically that is injured Nylander should be cover for the other 3 C's.

Martin - fills a void on our soft lineup
Levio - bigger , much more talented but until he gets a legit chance we don't know what he'll be
Sosh - similar player to Hyman in his energy , smaller but more talented and grittier

but even if you take him over these 3 that leaves him as our 8th winger , 9th winger/13frw if Altonen shows better at camp

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Levio - bigger , much more talented but until he gets a legit chance we don't know what he'll be
Sosh - similar player to Hyman in his energy , smaller but more talented and grittier

but even if you take him over these 3 that leaves him as our 8th winger , 9th winger/13frw if Altonen shows better at camp

8th winger is what he is, a 4th liner. Im not expecting much out of Aaltonen in fact if he doesn't make the leafs I wouldn't be surprised if he goes back the the KHL

one77

Dec 22, 2013
What a steal. Brown deserves more and will become an extremely important part of the core moving forward. Love this player and this contract

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
With how annoying all the Hyman hate is it just makes it so much much more amusing when things happen that don't fit into many posters oversimplistic view of player value and roles.

This is a fair signing and so was Hyman IMO.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
With how annoying all the Hyman hate is it just makes it so much much more amusing when things happen that don't fit into many posters oversimplistic view of player value and roles.

This is a fair signing and so was Hyman IMO.

Agreed.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
8th winger is what he is, a 4th liner. Im not expecting much out of Aaltonen in fact if he doesn't make the leafs I wouldn't be surprised if he goes back the the KHL

we agree he's nothing more than a 4th liner but the question is who do we want as the 8th winger ?

Levio - i believe Hyman's better suited in that role than Levio but i'd still rather give Levio the spot since he does have upside to maybe become a middle 6 winger if given a chance .

Sosh - i have no problem with him but i don't see a future for him here with the mount of wingers we have

Martin - won't kill penalties like Hyman but we have plenty of players who can , he works hard and adds the toughness we need so i'd give him the last wing spot for now

which leaves Hyman or Levio as our 13th forward and i'd go with Levio because he has more upside

we can discuss this endlessly but the facts are as long as Babs is behind the bench Hyman will be playing somewhere in the top 9 , i'm just hoping that since he got him paid he won't feel the need to glue him to AM's hip every game

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Leivo 6'2" 195lbs
Hyman 6'1" 205lbs
:help:
The Hyman hate is so strong that the laws of gravity have changed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad