Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Connor Brown (3 years; $2.1 AAV)

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
who said anything about stacking our lines ? We could have triedany of Brown/Levio/Kap with AM and Willie instead of an offensive black hole like Hyman .

Brown isn't ready for that amount of responsibility. He's offensive support at this point and can potentially improve beyond that. Put him on that line and overall I imagine Matthews and Nylanders have the puck less for a net negative. Brown has more value on another line that needs additional offensive support. Put him sheltered on the 3rd and all of a sudden you have a top 9.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Brown isn't ready for that amount of responsibility. He's offensive support at this point and can potentially improve beyond that. Put him on that line and overall I imagine Matthews and Nylanders have the puck less for a net negative. Brown has more value on another line that needs additional offensive support. Put him sheltered on the 3rd and all of a sudden you have a top 9.

and these type of excuses are probably why you complained your posts fall on deaf eras , lol

Brown had double the goals and more points than the guy weren't not supposed to mention yet he wasn't ready but the other guy was because you and others reduced his responsibility on that line to just running around and mucking up the play allowing his uber talented linemates to generate all the offense (much of which was killed by said player) ?

this being said it's going to be interesting which lines Babs goes with this season since he has even more options at his disposal

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
He can play anywhere in the lineup in any situation, really. Looked fine when he was with Matthews last year. We'll have better options regardless.

Wouldn't surprise me if Brown just takes Nylander's spot beside Matthews, if and when Willie moves to center.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Option A
Hyman -- Matthews -- Nylander = better offensively

Option B
Hyman -- Matthews -- Brown = better defensively.

Babcock loves Brownie and the signing because he is the Swiss army knife in the coaches toolbox allowing him to build his lines dependent on if he is at home or on the road, has last change or not, or leading and protecting a lead or trailing and trying to generate more offense.

Brown also plays PP, PK and ES and can be used up and down the line-up in any role the coach asks of him which makes him a coaches dream.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
and these type of excuses are probably why you complained your posts fall on deaf eras , lol

Brown had double the goals and more points than the guy weren't not supposed to mention yet he wasn't ready but the other guy was because you and others reduced his responsibility on that line to just running around and mucking up the play allowing his uber talented linemates to generate all the offense (much of which was killed by said player) ?

this being said it's going to be interesting which lines Babs goes with this season since he has even more options at his disposal

Wow goals and points without context that's it? Talk about over simplistic.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think Brown's 2-way game will keep him with Kadri moving forward in a match up role.

JVR-Matthews-Nylander
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Marleau-Bozak-Marner
Martin-Moore-Hyman
Leivo, Rychel

DEEP at forward with Soshnikov and Kapanen capable of playing in the NHL next year too.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I think Brown's 2-way game will keep him with Kadri moving forward in a match up role.

JVR-Matthews-Nylander
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Marleau-Bozak-Marner
Martin-Moore-Hyman
Leivo, Rychel

DEEP at forward with Soshnikov and Kapanen capable of playing in the NHL next year too.

Could definitely see Brown on Kadris wing, but I wonder if Marleau goes on the left with them.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Option A
Hyman -- Matthews -- Nylander = better offensively

Option B
Hyman -- Matthews -- Brown = better defensively.

Babcock loves Brownie and the signing because he is the Swiss army knife in the coaches toolbox allowing him to build his lines dependent on if he is at home or on the road, has last change or not, or leading and protecting a lead or trailing and trying to generate more offense.

Brown also plays PP, PK and ES and can be used up and down the line-up in any role the coach asks of him which makes him a coaches dream.

Again all this is subject to change. People focus too much on Hyman with Matthews or Nylander wing vs. center.
The team is putting together it's 23 man roster for the future. Identifying all the pieces that are required to get you through 82 games, 4 playoff series and a Cup.
That takes skill, speed, offense, defense, PP and PK, physical/greasy play etc.

Kadri 5 more years
Brown 3 years
Hyman 4 years
Martin 3 years
Nylander,Marner,Matthews to follow
Rielly 5 more years
Zaitsev 7 years
Andersen 4 more years

That will soon be 10 players locked in.
I count Marleau as a mentor but locked in 3 years. It's quite possible he joins a run.
We still need another big D locked in.
The future of JVR/Bozak/Komarov remain to be seen.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Could definitely see Brown on Kadris wing, but I wonder if Marleau goes on the left with them.

The Athletic had an interesting write up on Marleau, basically broke it down how he's not so good defensively anymore so I figured Komarov-Kadri is already a duo and Brown should be an easy fixture on the right wing.

JVR gives Matthews and Nylander a more talented linemate.

Marleau with Bozak and Marner ensures he gets softer minutes and a chance to put up points with safe minutes and PP time.

Hyman is probably overqualified for the 4th line but him being on the 4th line makes the line much more legitimate and can make that line a 8-12 minute a night line.

Maybe if Komarov goes they can roll a Hyman-Kadri-Brown line, should also be effective.

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
and where was all the Hyman love last off season before he we found out he was Babcock's child ?

I never saw anyone penciling him on AM's line or on a scoring line but now since we found out he's Babcocks son he has a legion of supporters which leads me to believe very few give a damn about Hyman but instead feel the need to blindly follow every decision the coach/mgmt make .
I can only speak for myself but Walshy knows I've always been a supporter. I'm the #50pointhyman guy
:D

Edit: I'm late to the party. Just saw the mod warning. Nothing to see here folks. Keep moving right along.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I can only speak for myself but Walshy knows I've always been a supporter. I'm the #50pointhyman guy
:D

Edit: I'm late to the party. Just saw the mod warning. Nothing to see here folks. Keep moving right along.

you need to use code words to fool the censors, in your case you could call him zach myman and i will use zach byman no way they catch on to a coded post like this

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The Athletic had an interesting write up on Marleau, basically broke it down how he's not so good defensively anymore so I figured Komarov-Kadri is already a duo and Brown should be an easy fixture on the right wing.

JVR gives Matthews and Nylander a more talented linemate.

Marleau with Bozak and Marner ensures he gets softer minutes and a chance to put up points with safe minutes and PP time.

Hyman is probably overqualified for the 4th line but him being on the 4th line makes the line much more legitimate and can make that line a 8-12 minute a night line.

Maybe if Komarov goes they can roll a Hyman-Kadri-Brown line, should also be effective.

That means you can't trust the Matthews line defensively anymore as well

JVR can score but he's a liability defensively and with Matthews being asked to do more heavy lifting this season (I'm presuming) that JVR move is not going to work

Hyman or Marleau need to be on Matthews wing for the overall health of the team so we can spread around the toughest defensive assignments a little more

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
That means you can't trust the Matthews line defensively anymore as well

JVR can score but he's a liability defensively and with Matthews being asked to do more heavy lifting this season (I'm presuming) that JVR move is not going to work

Hyman or Marleau need to be on Matthews wing for the overall health of the team so we can spread around the toughest defensive assignments a little more

I think we'll see a motivated JVR this year since he needs a contract. Ive never questioned his skill, just his consistent compete level so it may be an exciting year to watch him.

Brown contract is awesome, and I agree it works for both. Sets him up for a decent payday in short order

RLF

May 5, 2014
Price is a little better than I thought it would be. I figured 2.25-2.5 per. His contract makes him even more valuable in a trade as well, which I still think he may be one of the pieces moved in a bigger deal.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
What do the Blue dot, White dot and flag symbolize?

Haha. I think the blue and white is obvious (Leafs). As for the flag I believe he was going for the Irish flag since he's Irish but instead he ****ed it up and ended up posting Cote D'ivoire flag instead. :laugh:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
One would assume blue and white for the leafs and the flag for his heritage. Seems kind of obvious I thought.

The colours didn't occur to me and isn't he an Irish Canadian?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Haha. I think the blue and white is obvious (Leafs). As for the flag I believe he was going for the Irish flag since he's Irish but instead he ****ed it up and ended up posting Cote D'ivoire flag instead. :laugh:

Thats what I thought too.
I actually thought he was having his vacation at the Ivory Coast or he was born there like how Robin Regehr was born in Brazil

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It was inevitable that he got signed. There is so much quality to his game that if i had to guesstimate how much more important he will be viewed in three years. He just might turn in to more than a 50 pont player!

60 point potential and killing penalties and a leadership role in three years could turn him into a core playet i what i suspect from a player with his motivation. We have all watched him come along and expecting him to surprise should not be a surprise any more. He will most likely just be a heart and souls player in 3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad