Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Connor Brown (3 years; $2.1 AAV)

wam_raven

Mar 2, 2007
waiting for the Jeff Finger moment when we all clue in.... "It's 6.3 per...?"

great deal otherwise!:handclap::yo:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Excellent deal, glad this last loose end has been sorted out.

Makes that's Hymen deal look a lot worse by comparison though.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well done Lou. Patience is worth it. Got him to a great deal. Only for 3 years, but good. Keeps his cost low for the present and gives him plenty to work for going ahead.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
What a steal for a 20 goal scorer. Wouldn't put it past him at all to get 45-50 points next season even without PP time.

People who will inevitably compare this to Hyman contact: Hyman's contract bought out UFA years that's why he was slightly more expensive. Brown remains RFA (I believe) after this but it doesn't buy any UFA years so he's got a bigger contract coming his way in 3 years.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This more than makes up for Hyman making too much. Consider this the last time I will ever mention Hyman's deal as a complaint. We're even.

Figured he'd get 3 years. Not this cheap but the term is expected. 3 cheap years, then he gets to RFA with 1 RFA year left and you make the decision on what you can afford to do from there. Resign long term for lots of money, or trade and replace internall depending on internal replacements and cap space. Pretty much a perfect scenario

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
This more than makes up for Hyman making too much. Consider this the last time I will ever mention Hyman's deal as a complaint. We're even.

Figured he'd get 3 years. Not this cheap but the term is expected. 3 cheap years, then he gets to RFA with 1 RFA year left and you make the decision on what you can afford to do from there. Resign long term for lots of money, or trade and replace internall depending on internal replacements and cap space. Pretty much a perfect scenario

Yep. We are golden no matter what. If Connor Brown is worth big money in the future, he will also fetch a lot in a trade if we can't afford him.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
d9a8e3b66082f187a1066aacd317fb4e--simple-packaging-chocolate-syrup.jpg

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
It's a prove yourself type contract. Leafs get a 20 goal scorer on a super cheap cap hit. Brown gets to work towards a bigger contract. It's a win-win on both sides. Can't believe Hyman got paid more.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Excellent deal, glad this last loose end has been sorted out.

Makes that's Hymen deal look a lot worse by comparison though.

Players always tend to get more for a longer term. Not sure I agree it makes the Hyman deal look worse. Both players have value in different areas.

You wont find many NHL forwards under 2 million who are exceptional PK's and puck retrievers.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It's a prove yourself type contract. Leafs get a 20 goal scorer on a super cheap cap hit. Brown gets to work towards a bigger contract. It's a win-win on both sides. Can't believe Hyman got paid more.

It's a bridge deal that Brown will still be a RFA at the end of it.

Hyman is 2 years away from UFA, so they paid for it with a higher AAV over the 4 year term since they bought out 2 UFA years. Contract status is important.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Hyman is older and I am pretty sure we bought UFA years.

It's about what I expected for him.

Komarov got a 4x2.95 mill deal and he's not really any different overall. Hyman is a better PKer and forechecker, Komarov is more physical and maybe a little bit better offensively. Both about equal defensively.

We just got a great deal, but we did not buy UFA years. At the same time, he's still an RFA at the end so we can give him a 5+ year deal after that for a better cap hit. 3 mill would have still been a great deal for him though, so 900k less is amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad