McKenzie: "Leafs preparing several creative proposals for Tavares if he hits UFA."

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
He doesn't even need to hit free agency. Starting this Sunday is the period where teams can talk with UFA's before July 1. So given that the Islanders could have re-signed Tavares since July 1, 2017 and it has not happened, I would be surprised if he doesn't take the chance to speak with other teams and see what's out there.

Except they can't even talk about these creative monetary proposals during this period. This is just to gauge interest and there is no negotiating. Newsflash, every team in the league is interested in JT. They are just going to tell him about the city, the owners, the GM, plans going forward etc. Nothing JT probably doesn't already know.

I also see him waiting out this period as well, but I doubt there's going to be anything eye opening that occurs. It's more obligatory than anything.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
This website in a nutshell..

Bobby Mac says Matthews/Marner waiting til next year to sign - HF: Wow, trouble in Leaf fan. If Bob Mac says it you know there is substance

Bobby Mac says Leafs preparing to offer JT contract - HF: Stop dreaming Leaf fans, just trying to get clicks LOL

That's funny, viewed it this way:

Bobby Mac says Matthews/Marner waiting till next year to sign HF Leaf Fans: Bobby Mac is a hack.
Bobby Mac says Leafs preparing creative options to sign JT: It's Bobby Mac, welcome to TML JT!

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Making a video for a free agent?

Truly is a copycat league.

The Rangers video for Vesey will likely be better. :naughty:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
of course i get that. however, he isn't single-handedly going to improve the defense to the extent that many leaf fans think he will. he is an average defensive player, not an elite one. he's also a forward, so he isn't in the defensive zone to help reduce shots/shot attempts, unlike a blueliner, and he will play less minutes than a defender

1. tavares isn't an elite defensive player at all. he's above average.
2. you need more than just 6 guys who can skate and move the puck. we have an abundance of that, yet we can't even get out of the first round. you need a great goaltender to win or some very very good defense. the leafs have not received great goaltending from andersen. if he had help infront of him in the form of a few more defenseman that can reduce shots and clear the puck, he's preform better. since the leafs aren't going to get another goalie, their best chance to fix up their defensive side of the game in to get a few guys for the backend.

so is he average or above average?

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

Bobby Mac says Matthews/Marner waiting till next year to sign HF Leaf Fans: Bobby Mac is a hack.
Bobby Mac says Leafs preparing creative options to sign JT: It's Bobby Mac, welcome to TML JT!

Have you seen many posts that actually had these opinions? Because I haven't seen a single Leaf fan saying JT to TO is anything near a sure thing (albeit, I do have quite a few posters in this thread on my ignore list from prior threads - so it is possible I just can't see these wild posts people are complaining about).

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Have you seen many posts that actually had these opinions? Because I haven't seen a single Leaf fan saying JT to TO is anything near a sure thing (albeit, I do have quite a few posters in this thread on my ignore list from prior threads - so it is possible I just can't see these wild posts people are complaining about).

Yeah I was gonna ask where he's seeing these opinions, but like yourself perhaps the ignore function is sparing me.

Would be better for everyone if some others used it too, instead of attributing it to "Leafs fans" in general

Reactions: Nizdizzle

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Yeah I was gonna ask where he's seeing these opinions, but like yourself perhaps the ignore function is sparing me.

Would be better for everyone if some others used it too, instead of attributing it to "Leafs fans" in general

Dubas literally said this yesterday:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Since you're in Korea we'll assume English isn't your first language, only way you could come to that conclusion.

Zrinski

Oct 10, 2010
The key to any of these creative 1 year plus X deals is that they aren't binding. They aren't actual legal agreements. You can't have a contract stuffed in a drawer that is legally binding on the club.

If he plays one year at the max, and he gets injured, then that long-term agreement in principle with Toronto goes away. The league makes sure that in such a scenario, the player has to assume all the risk. It's really one year guaranteed at the max with Toronto, versus $80M or $88M or even $96M over eight years guaranteed with the Isles. Or a seven-year deal with anyone else.

There are creative proposals that the Leafs can come up with, but one gigantic year followed by a long-term deal isn't one of them. It's not real.

Why are you assuming the contract would be stuffed in a drawer for a year? Any player is eligible to sign an extension with their team in the last year of their contract. He could sign a one year deal, then an 8 year extension literally the same day.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
The only person who said it was approved was the guy who broke the story. Everyone else pointed out how it was obvious cap circumvention.
So basically you have no actual facts to back up your claim. Thanks for coming out.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto

Salty isles fan.. smh.

How about:

When Lou was with the Leafs “Lou lam is an old dinosaur who doesn’t do anything”
When Lou signs with Isles “Omg our franchise is saved, Tavares is staying, we’re getting Trotz, and Lou will trade for a #1G”

Two can play at that game. Don’t throw rocks when you live in a glass house.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Genuinely curious, but is this not kind of tampering?? Why doesn’t every team who really wants someone just feed it through the media that they’re willing to pony up X amount of dollars IF he hits FA?
This might be one of the dumbest posts I've read. If the Leafs aren't preparing scenarios for one of the best players to hit the free agent market ever, they aren't doing their damn jobs. It's not "tampering".

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Why are you assuming the contract would be stuffed in a drawer for a year? Any player is eligible to sign an extension with their team in the last year of their contract. He could sign a one year deal, then an 8 year extension literally the same day.
Nope.

If a player signs a 1-year contract, they can't sign an extension until January 1st of that season.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
andersen was the reason why it went to 7 games. he stole games 5 and 6. if he was a sieve in those games the leafs woulda been packing in 5
Just give it up. Your attempt to say the Leafs are so terrible but stayed in it only due to goaltending is failing horribly. Anderesen had a.896 save % in the series. The Leafs received THE worst goaltenging in the entire first round. Andersen cost them the series.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
the skaters deserve little credit. if andersen wasn't amazing in games 5 and 6, the leafs would have lost the series in 5 or 6. face it, the games the leafs wins came on the back of andersen. he came up big because our skaters were hemmed in their own zone for the practically all of those games.
Andersen was terrible. Man-up and admit it. You don't want to admit there are good players on the team, do you?
Name 1 worse goalie than Andersen in the first round.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Just give it up. Your attempt to say the Leafs are so terrible but stayed in it only due to goaltending is failing horribly. Anderesen had a.896 save % in the series. The Leafs received THE worst goaltenging in the entire first round. Andersen cost them the series.
He did cost them the series but he also was the reason why the series went the distance. You would be singing a different tune about him if the leafs won that series.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
His job is to drive people to TSNs platforms. Stories about Marner and Matthews futures are going to garner interest from fans of all teams, not just the Leafs. Leafs fans will click because it's their team, and non Leafs fans will click because we're the most important franchise in the league and people want to track what's happening with us.

Same thing with a story that could connect JT to the Leafs. Its elementary promotion.
Bobby Mac does not do that at all. He holds back more than anyone.

Reactions: Lahey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad