McKenzie: "Leafs preparing several creative proposals for Tavares if he hits UFA."

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think in the current NHL it's rare for any big name to leave their organizations. As fans (not necessarily yourself) we often forget the connections, friendships, and loyalties these guys make since they were kids.

IMO if JT stays it will be because of that. He's been an islander for a 3rd of his life. I'm sure Lou helps in the pitch for stability and direction, but if he's resigned it will be because of the connections he's made over the past decade, or at least that's my 2-cents.
Personally I would be surprised if Tavares leaves the Islanders for any team. We saw it with Stamkos when he re-signed in Tampa Bay and as you said it rarely happens these days when a big name UFA player leaves their current team.

moegillknee

Jul 30, 2016
Leafs being creative in their offer is all about the contract offer or contract offers. July 1st .1year. X 16 million
July 2nd 8 years . 13 Mill for the first 4yrs 10 mill for last 4 yrs.
2018/19 cap hit 16 mill
2019/20 to end of contract cap hit 11.5 mill.
How many teams could match that?or be able to .
9 years 108 mill

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I hope JT does not go to a team in Atlantic division except Boston for his own sake because Bergeron owns JT most of the time. Boston is one team that Isles have a terrible record against consistently and sadly this is true. JT also does not play that well against Caps and sometimes Pens but he absolutely is mostly underwhelmed when playing against the Bruins and I am not sure exactly why. I think the draw has something to do with it. Without winning the face-off and thus control the puck possession his game can't get going. He will do well going to Vegas or San Jose (weaker division as far as top centers goes with exception of McDavid) if he leaves the Isles.

If he goes to TML will however ease up Matthews being checked by the Bruin top line though and this may help that team, assuming that TML keeps Matthews instead contemplating trading him for an proven elite D plus other pieces.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Malkinson

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
I hope JT does not go to a team in Atlantic division except Boston for his own sake because Bergeron owns JT most of the time. Boston is one team that Isles have a terrible record against consistently and sadly this is true. JT also does not play that well against Caps and sometimes Pens but he absolutely is mostly underwhelmed when playing against the Bruins and I am not sure exactly why. I think the draw has something to do with it. Without winning the face-off and thus control the puck possession his game can't get going. He will do well going to Vegas or San Jose (weaker division as far as top centers goes with exception of McDavid) if he leaves the Isles.

If he goes to TML will however ease up Matthews being checked by the Bruin top line though and this may help that team.

Exactly.

Tavares on Toronto either frees up Auston Matthews to wreak havoc on opposing 2nd lines or it allows Tavares to go up against 2nd line centres.

The matchups would be problematic for other teams.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Leafs being creative in their offer is all about the contract offer or contract offers. July 1st .1year. X 16 million
July 2nd 8 years . 13 Mill for the first 4yrs 10 mill for last 4 yrs.
2018/19 cap hit 16 mill
2019/20 to end of contract cap hit 11.5 mill.
How many teams could match that?or be able to .
9 years 108 mill

July 1st, JT signs the contract...July 2nd, JT lets the TML know that he changed his mind and will hit the FA market again in 2019.

Players can get creative too;)

Reactions: PWJunior

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
If the Leafs went this route it actually might work out for them. They would obviously not need a Nylander anymore and may use him to bring in a very good dman. When you look at it, they have Reilly and Dermott. Two very good defencemen, they have Hainsey and hopefully could resurrect Zaitsev, plus what they have in the minors. Might not be a bad good group before all is said and done.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
1 Year Contract --> $16,000,000

Then...

8 Year Contract --> $10,000,000 x 2 --> $8,000,000 x 2 --> $7,000,000 x 2 ---> $6,000,000 x 2

With Endorsement Deals Guaranteed.

Leafs then Trade Leivo, Rosen & 1st 2019, 2nd 2018 for Chris Tanev

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Tavares - Nylander
Marleau - - Kadri - - Kapanen
Grundstrom - Lindholm - Brown

Rielly - - - Tanev
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

Reactions: KPower

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Big name NHL players barely ever switch teams. So I wont believe it until I see it, or its being reported that the Leafs and JT actually met.

NHL and NBA are literal opposites in that regard.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I know the team situation was different at this time and now one saw the Leafs as playoff contenders. However having Lou didn't make a difference when they talked with Steven Stamkos before he re-signed in Tampa Bay.

Different situation. Stamkos was never realistically leaving Tampa. He's in a great spot. JT is with the Isles.

member 290103

Then...

8 Year Contract --> $10,000,000 x 2 --> $8,000,000 x 2 --> $7,000,000 x 2 ---> $6,000,000 x 2

Rielly - - - Tanev
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

Why would Tavares do this? What happens if he blows his knee out or suffers a massive concussion or something that first year? Then what?

Signing this player for Toronto would be a mistake. They don't need offense, they need some semblance of a defense. Add to this, they are going to have players demanding huge money that will be impacted by way of signing a guy like this.

Toronto is reverting back to their old selves......dumb ass f*** up UFA deals.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Any team that can afford Tavares and not be pushing for him to come are crazy. Never is there a chance to pick up a guy like him for nothing but cap space. Even if it’s a slight overpay those are the kind of guys you should be okay with paying for.

Reactions: X66 and 93gilmour93

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Any team that can afford Tavares and not be pushing for him to come are crazy. Never is there a chance to pick up a guy like him for nothing but cap space. Even if it’s a slight overpay those are the kind of guys you should be okay with paying for.
Absolutely. The rare chance to grab top talent like Tavares for nothing but money is a no brainer.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Heh....several creative proposals for Tavares? I'm having Entourage flashbacks.

"Tesla... Amazon..... Tavares...brand name recognition"

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Why would Tavares do this? What happens if he blows his knee out or suffers a massive concussion or something that first year? Then what?

Signing this player for Toronto would be a mistake. They don't need offense, they need some semblance of a defense. Add to this, they are going to have players demanding huge money that will be impacted by way of signing a guy like this.

Toronto is reverting back to their old selves......dumb ass **** up UFA deals.
Why would he? Cause he gets a butt load of cash upfront, gets to come home to a team on the rise and maximize his earning potential. He only has to make it to January 1st for him to be eligible for an extension. Honestly, I’d be okay paying him max money for the one year, having him sit out til Jan 1 then re up the team friendly extension for 8 years. Adding JT to the current forward group makes TML a threat.
Go 1 year @16m then 10.5 for 8... works out to 100m over 9 years. Front load it with 13m over the first 4 years, 12.5 year 5, then fat 5-5.5m bonus year 6, low salary years 6-8. By the time July 1 of year 6 rolls around JT would of taken home 80.5m for 6 seasons of hockey and be looking at another 15ish over the next 3 seasons.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Why would he? Cause he gets a butt load of cash upfront, gets to come home to a team on the rise and maximize his earning potential. He only has to make it to January 1st for him to be eligible for an extension. Honestly, I’d be okay paying him max money for the one year, having him sit out til Jan 1 then re up the team friendly extension for 8 years. Adding JT to the current forward group makes TML a threat.
Go 1 year @16m then 10.5 for 8... works out to 100m over 9 years. Front load it with 13m over the first 4 years, 12.5 year 5, then fat 5-5.5m bonus year 6, low salary years 6-8. By the time July 1 of year 6 rolls around JT would of taken home 80.5m for 6 seasons of hockey and be looking at another 15ish over the next 3 seasons.
Did I read that correctly? You want to have Tavares sit out the first three months? In what world would a guy do that? A lot of you guys seem to be under the impression that Tavares is going to be so enamored with the Leafs that he's going to go up and beyond to bend over backwards to do the team a favor and take a one year deal... That's exactly what that is. There is zero reason for him to take that risk for the Leafs considering any other team with the room would be willing to pay him what he wants.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
If Leafs get him thats a huge add for their team and what they need to be a consistant playoff team.
Which is why i hope it never happens. And lol at people saying focus on "defense". Doesnt matter if u have the best forward core in the league u take tavares for free and trade others for defense

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Then...

Rielly - - - Tanev
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

Why is he taking less than 10 AAV on the 8 year deal??

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If I was a journalist, in the offseason, I'd literally follow Matthews around in the summer and just post Matthews related articles all summer for the clickbait.

Yes, Toronto is trying to think of creative ways to sign Tavares, so are 15 other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad