McKenzie: "Leafs preparing several creative proposals for Tavares if he hits UFA."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash86

Jan 22, 2018
Personally I would be surprised if Tavares leaves the Islanders for any team. We saw it with Stamkos when he re-signed in Tampa Bay and as you said it rarely happens these days when a big name UFA player leaves their current team.
Completely different situation though from Stamkos. Tampa were a very good team at the time and offered Stamkos the best shot at winning a cup. Plus Florida has great weather and no income tax. The Islanders are no where near being a serious cup contender, New York doesn’t have great weather and the income tax is quite high there.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
In Toronto, his RW would be either Mitch Marner or William Nylander. His LW would likely be Patrick Marleau.

Marleau - Tavares - Marner

+ $11-12M per for 7 years
+ Top endorsements ($)
+ Auston Matthews
+ Captaincy
+ Contending team
+ Mike Babcock
+ Stable organization
+ Hometown

Reactions: ToneDog

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Why would Tavares do this? What happens if he blows his knee out or suffers a massive concussion or something that first year? Then what?

Signing this player for Toronto would be a mistake. They don't need offense, they need some semblance of a defense. Add to this, they are going to have players demanding huge money that will be impacted by way of signing a guy like this.

Toronto is reverting back to their old selves......dumb ass **** up UFA deals.
The 8 year extension would be given immediately when allowed

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
If I was a journalist, in the offseason, I'd literally follow Matthews around in the summer and just post Matthews related articles all summer for the clickbait.

Yes, Toronto is trying to think of creative ways to sign Tavares, so are 15 other teams.
I don't think Bobby Mac is as desperate to come up with content as you would be though. he's much more respected and qualified than that

Reactions: Brock Radunske

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
In Toronto, his RW would be either Mitch Marner or William Nylander. His LW would likely be Patrick Marleau.

+ Top endorsements ($)
+ Auston Matthews
+ Captaincy
+ Contending team
+ Mike Babcock
+ Stable organization
+ Hometown

If it were me I'd spread the offense and make 3 scoring lines

Hyman Matthews Nylander

Kapanen Tavares Marner

Marleau Kadri Johnnsson/Brown

Then the PP is

Matthews Tavares Nylander

Marleau Kadri Marner

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

+ Top endorsements ($)
+ Auston Matthews
+ Captaincy
+ Contending team
+ Mike Babcock
+ Stable organization
+ Hometown
The only thing that might not be certain is Tavares being named captain if he signed in Toronto before playing a game for them. I'm not comparing them as players but look at what naming Dion Phaneuf worked out for the Leafs after he only played 26 games for them after getting traded from Calgary. One difference is since Tavares grew up in the Toronto market he knows what being the captain means and the responsibility that comes with it.

Still I think Matthews has the lead in terms of being named the next captain.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I hope the Leafs give him 11.5 mil+ per, I think think he stays in NY though

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Completely different situation though from Stamkos. Tampa were a very good team at the time and offered Stamkos the best shot at winning a cup. Plus Florida has great weather and no income tax. The Islanders are no where near being a serious cup contender, New York doesn’t have great weather and the income tax is quite high there.
That maybe true and at the time with Toronto coming off finishing in last place overall and with Auston Matthews having not yet played a game in the NHL for the Leafs and no one expecting Toronto make the playoffs the following season. However today it's fair to say Toronto is closer to a Stanley Cup than the Islanders, so that's an advantage they didn't have 2 years ago when they at least talked with Stamkos.

Reactions: Dash86

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Or you mean the one that was approved? Cause you have no idea what you’re talking about
The only person who said it was approved was the guy who broke the story. Everyone else pointed out how it was obvious cap circumvention.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
This isn't going to happen, Bob is trying to generate interest for July first
No one even implies that he is going to sign with Toronto. The title clearly states ... if he hits UFA. It doesn't say he will sign with Toronto, Leaf fans aren't saying that either. The only absolutes are people saying he will not sign with Toronto. They are not even on topic. The only thing that was tweeted is that the Leafs are preparing several creative proposals to be utilized on the condition he makes it to free agency.

Reactions: Cotton

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The only thing that was tweeted is that the Leafs are preparing several creative proposals to be utilized on the condition he makes it to free agency.
He doesn't even need to hit free agency. Starting this Sunday is the period where teams can talk with UFA's before July 1. So given that the Islanders could have re-signed Tavares since July 1, 2017 and it has not happened, I would be surprised if he doesn't take the chance to speak with other teams and see what's out there.

Reactions: TTF

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
I don’t see him coming here just like the rest of the superstars that never signed in toronto.

That being said, even though the blue line is the biggest and most pressing issue, if you can acquire a JT caliber player for nothing (Just his cap hit) then you do it 100% of the time. I will never understand the thought process of not trying to improve except for the one spot you need most.

EDIT - Guy a couple above me said the same thing.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
I'm sure endorsements in Toronto bring money, but can someone tell me what endorsements Matthews has and what Marner has (and any others you can think of)? I'm thinking there's only a finite amount of endorsements to go around.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The key to any of these creative 1 year plus X deals is that they aren't binding. They aren't actual legal agreements. You can't have a contract stuffed in a drawer that is legally binding on the club.

If he plays one year at the max, and he gets injured, then that long-term agreement in principle with Toronto goes away. The league makes sure that in such a scenario, the player has to assume all the risk. It's really one year guaranteed at the max with Toronto, versus $80M or $88M or even $96M over eight years guaranteed with the Isles. Or a seven-year deal with anyone else.

There are creative proposals that the Leafs can come up with, but one gigantic year followed by a long-term deal isn't one of them. It's not real.

Reactions: sharks9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad