McKenzie: "Leafs preparing several creative proposals for Tavares if he hits UFA."

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
How exactly does McKenzie coming out with a clickbait headline make the Leafs any more likely to sign him? Try actually reading my post. I don't disagree, but it's so obvious it's pointless to present as something new.

The leafs will get creative when going after the biggest UFA on the market if he hits free agency. Well duh.

Im a Leafs fan and would welcome JT with open arms. You should give up the persecution complex, you would probably enjoy the discussion more.
Why is it click bait when McKenzie writes something like this, which Leafs haters claim Tavares will still not sign in Toronto.

However when McKenzie reported that Matthews and Marner might wait until next summer to sign their new contracts and he said it was just a feeling of his, the Leafs haters thought it was bad news for the Leafs and did not doubt him?

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Gonna look pretty stupid when he chooses San Jose and they already put up a statue on Legends Row for him. Guess they could just redo it in Doughty's likeness for next year.

The only thing more common than NHL teams wanting free, talented UFA players is this same joke by the same handful of people on HF.

Oh the horror, Leaf fans would welcome the idea of JT joining their team. :laugh:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
IIRC Colorado and another club(can't remember who) had asked to speak to him. Someone can correct me here, my memory is a bit fuzzy, but there were definitely teams interested. Not that I'm saying Dubas is some genius by any means, it's still up in the air as to whether he's capable or not.
It was reported that Arizona and Buffalo were interested in talking to Dubas about interviewing for their GM jobs.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Why is it click bait when McKenzie writes something like this, which Leafs haters claim Tavares will still not sign in Toronto.

However when McKenzie reported that Matthews and Marner might wait until next summer to sign their new contracts and he said it was just a feeling of his, the Leafs haters thought it was bad news for the Leafs and did not doubt him?

Well first, I couldn't care less about "Leaf Haters." Second, it's a slow time of year for hockey, the vast majority of "news" is obvious clickbait. Again, are you actually surprised the Leafs will get creative?

Maybe you're right and I'm giving too much credit to the average fan, but I thought most of us knew we wouldn't walk JT into a room with a single piece of paper on a table and our pitch being "sign it."

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe you're right and I'm giving too much credit to the average fan, but I thought most of us knew we wouldn't walk JT into a room with a single piece of paper on a table and our pitch being "sign it."
I just want to know why that the Islanders having Lou Lamoriello all of the sudden means Tavares will re-sign with them, since that seems to be a belief among Islanders fans. As of July 1, 2017 when Garth Snow was the Islanders GM he had all this time up until he was fired to re-sign Tavares. Let's not forget the last high priced and big name Lou Lamoriello had when he was in New Jersey was Zach Parise, who Lou said would be re-signed. We all know that never happened and he went back home to Minnesota.

member 300185

Only two significant Vegas contributors from this season are set to be UFA's and they may still re-sign one or both of them. I'd hardly call that a dismantling.
True but McPhee said they are going to be very active in moving players for picks. So I think 3 more are going to be gone also. If the player is not part of their system going forward, they are fair game. We will both know in 2 weeks.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

Its all clickbait. None of those guys have any insight about the Leafs. Pure speculation.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Its all clickbait. None of those guys have any insight about the Leafs. Pure speculation.
There is also some hypocritical reactions among non Leafs fans towards them depending on what they are reporting if Toronto is mentioned. I will say again when McKenzie said he feels that Matthews and Marner will re-sign next summer they think it means the Leafs can't get them signed. When McKenzie reports this about Tavares, they say there is no chance he's signing in Toronto and why would Bob even bother to report something like this?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I just want to know why that the Islanders having Lou Lamoriello all of the sudden means Tavares will re-sign with them, since that seems to be a belief among Islanders fans. As of July 1, 2017 when Garth Snow was the Islanders GM he had all this time up until he was fired to re-sign Tavares. Let's not forget the last high priced and big name Lou Lamoriello had when he was in New Jersey was Zach Parise, who Lou said would be re-signed. We all know that never happened and he went back home to Minnesota.

Could be that John sees the organization hire a strong personality with a track record of success at the highest level and thinks I want to be part of that. On the other hand he likely saw Garth Snow as someone who couldn't take the Isles to the next level.

To me there's no coincidence to the fact that all the stories this winter and spring have been JT is looking to leave and all of a sudden Lou gets hired and now most of the stories are that Tavares is leaning towards staying.

I haven't heard what his final decision is, but I believe Lou has made him think harder about leaving. That said, youre still taking about a team that plays in an arena with no seats on the glass and a car sitting there like it's the Spangler Cup, so it's possible even Lou isn't enough to hold him there.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
There is also some hypocritical reactions among non Leafs fans towards them depending on what they are reporting if Toronto is mentioned. I will say again when McKenzie said he feels that Matthews and Marner will re-sign next summer they think it means the Leafs can't get them signed. When McKenzie reports this about Tavares, they say there is no chance he's signing in Toronto and why would Bob even bother to report something like this?

His job is to drive people to TSNs platforms. Stories about Marner and Matthews futures are going to garner interest from fans of all teams, not just the Leafs. Leafs fans will click because it's their team, and non Leafs fans will click because we're the most important franchise in the league and people want to track what's happening with us.

Same thing with a story that could connect JT to the Leafs. Its elementary promotion.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Could be that John sees the organization hire a strong personality with a track record of success at the highest level and thinks I want to be part of that. On the other hand he likely saw Garth Snow as someone who couldn't take the Isles to the next level.

To me there's no coincidence to the fact that all the stories this winter and spring have been JT is looking to leave and all of a sudden Lou gets hired and now most of the stories are that Tavares is leaning towards staying.

I haven't heard what his final decision is, but I believe Lou has made him think harder about leaving. That said, youre still taking about a team that plays in an arena with no seats on the glass and a car sitting there like it's the Spangler Cup, so it's possible even Lou isn't enough to hold him there.
Using that logic we can also claim Tavares has a great relationship with Babcock playing for him at the Olympics and World Cup, so that gives Toronto just as much an advantage over the Islanders hiring Lamoriello. Plus Brendan Shanahan would also be involved and history shows when Shanahan wants someone he does everything possible to make it happen. Look at him hiring Babcock when everyone said he's not going to coach the Leafs.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
His job is to drive people to TSNs platforms. Stories about Marner and Matthews futures are going to garner interest from fans of all teams, not just the Leafs. Leafs fans will click because it's their team, and non Leafs fans will click because we're the most important franchise in the league and people want to track what's happening with us.

Same thing with a story that could connect JT to the Leafs. Its elementary promotion.
Still would you not agree it's hypocritical when fans of other teams will believe a story about the Leafs if it sounds negative, however those same people will say it's false if it sounds positive?

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
How exactly does McKenzie coming out with a clickbait headline make the Leafs any more likely to sign him? Try actually reading my post. I don't disagree, but it's so obvious it's pointless to present as something new.

The leafs will get creative when going after the biggest UFA on the market if he hits free agency. Well duh.

Im a Leafs fan and would welcome JT with open arms. You should give up the persecution complex, you would probably enjoy the discussion more.
:popcorn: my friend, you need to educate yourself about sarcasm.....

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Using that logic we can also claim Tavares has a great relationship with Babcock playing for him at the Olympics and World Cup, so that gives Toronto just as much an advantage over the Islanders hiring Lamoriello. Plus Brendan Shanahan would also be involved and history shows when Shanahan wants someone he does everything possible to make it happen. Look at him hiring Babcock when everyone said he's not going to coach the Leafs.

I think Babcock is a huge selling feature as is the city and crest and sweater. Likely would have been even stronger with Lou here as well. That's a helluva package. But we'll never know now.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Still would you not agree it's hypocritical when fans of other teams will believe a story about the Leafs if it sounds negative, however those same people will say it's false if it sounds positive?

I think people are biased to their own bias. I deal with that all the time when I make an unpopular observation in the Leafs board about popular players. So yeah group think will often prevail when it comes to something like hating on the Leafs because the other fanbases have Napoleon complexes.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think Babcock is a huge selling feature as is the city and crest and sweater. Likely would have been even stronger with Lou here as well. That's a helluva package. But we'll never know now.
I know the team situation was different at this time and now one saw the Leafs as playoff contenders. However having Lou didn't make a difference when they talked with Steven Stamkos before he re-signed in Tampa Bay.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This is stupid.

Half the teams in the league will make a cool powerpoint with some sick pew pew transitions and bright colors along with player testimonies on why JT should sign there.
Didn't the Oilers use Wayne Gretzky to try to entice someone to want to go to Edmonton?
This isn't new, nor is it a revolutionary tactic. Again, half the teams in the league will do this if JT is still unsigned on July 1st.

It does not mean he wants to go to Toronto, it doesn't mean Toronto is the frontrunner or necessarily even close.

It means the Canadian/Toronto sports news media outlets are bored and need something to write about until Friday.

Reactions: PWJunior

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010

I think in the current NHL it's rare for any big name to leave their organizations. As fans (not necessarily yourself) we often forget the connections, friendships, and loyalties these guys make since they were kids.

IMO if JT stays it will be because of that. He's been an islander for a 3rd of his life. I'm sure Lou helps in the pitch for stability and direction, but if he's resigned it will be because of the connections he's made over the past decade, or at least that's my 2-cents.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
McKenzie also said the ice was quickly put down at ACC for a video shoot last week and Dreger reports that if JT reaches the window to discuss with other teams then Tavares will pick 3 to 5 teams to come and meet with him at the CAA hockey offices in Los Angeles and listen to the presentations from each team he selects

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I want to Leafs to address the defense as much as anyone but if you have a chance to roll out:

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Tavares - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen

That would be the best top 9 in hockey.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
This is stupid.

Half the teams in the league will make a cool powerpoint with some sick pew pew transitions and bright colors along with player testimonies on why JT should sign there.
Didn't the Oilers use Wayne Gretzky to try to entice someone to want to go to Edmonton?
This isn't new, nor is it a revolutionary tactic. Again, half the teams in the league will do this if JT is still unsigned on July 1st.

It does not mean he wants to go to Toronto, it doesn't mean Toronto is the frontrunner or necessarily even close.

It means the Canadian/Toronto sports news media outlets are bored and need something to write about until Friday.
The Oilers used Gretzky to convince Justin Schultz to sign with them back when he was a college free agent.

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
I think Tavares stays in Long Island but it would be a dream if Tavares comes home. Roll out 3 deadly lines that can compete with anyone or stack 2 if you are down a goal. You would have to move salaries like Martins etc but imagine..

Marleau Tavares Marner
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Kadri Grundstrom
Brown Aaltonen Kapanen

Matthews Tavares Nylander
Marleau Kadri Marner

Crazy offensive power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad