Leafs playoff strategy

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I don't see it discussed enough about how we had such a focus on screening Vasileskiy in the Tampa Series and shot for tips.

Next series they went back to trying to skill it up and got stone walled by Bob. Not sure why we decided that screening the goalie is only effective versus Vasileskiy, when it's good against EVERY goalie.

Reactions: banks

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don't see it discussed enough about how we had such a focus on screening Vasileskiy in the Tampa Series and shot for tips.

Next series they went back to trying to skill it up and got stone walled by Bob. Not sure why we decided that screening the goalie is only effective versus Vasileskiy, when it's good against EVERY goalie.
Tampa D -Cernak was softer than Florida's D??

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I really don't know. I don't know where the true power lies with this team. Is it CEO, the board? Who would be the catalyst for change, and we never hear from the board, or the CEO.

Are Rogers/Bell unhappy with the results, or only care about the revenue?

Playoff gate revenue is a massive money generator. The more playoff games the more profit.

The issue is prior to Shanny the team spent 10 years not seeing a cent.from playoff revenue. Moving on from that to a big question mark is likely a bigger wall to climb than anything else, it's not that ownership doesn't care about success., it's that they'd rather keep going with the guy who they think has the best chance at delivering it.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Playoff strategy:

1710951470226.png

A Hockey Player’s Prayer

Our Father who art in the rink,
Hockey be thy name.
Thy will be done, the Cup will be won
On ice, as well as in the stands.
Give us this day, our hockey sticks
And forgive us our penalties
As we forgive those who cross-check against us.
And lead us not into elimination
But deliver us to victory.
In the name of the fans
And thy holy sport.

Amen!

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Playoff gate revenue is a massive money generator. The more playoff games the more profit.

The issue is prior to Shanny the team spent 10 years not seeing a cent.from playoff revenue. Moving on from that to a big question mark is likely a bigger wall to climb than anything else, it's not that ownership doesn't care about success., it's that they'd rather keep going with the guy who they think haclear. The Leafs are the biggest loser franchise in all sports ever. They call it a win. Detroit NFL did more. Every year, it's next. Leafs need to deliver this year.

We play them twice.

View attachment 838897

Considering who they just beat maybe we are a WC team
True

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
There may be some serious merit in splitting up Marner and Matthews come playoffs.

Matthews, Marner and Tavares on different lines, Nylander moved where needed. This would provide the balance and potential secondary scoring this team needs.

Their defense is going to be even more important. It is going to be physical and Leafs need to stop being afraid of less than ideal players playing if they bring a physical, committed game.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
There may be some serious merit in splitting up Marner and Matthews come playoffs.

Matthews, Marner and Tavares on different lines, Nylander moved where needed. This would provide the balance and potential secondary scoring this team needs.

Their defense is going to be even more important. It is going to be physical and Leafs need to stop being afraid of less than ideal players playing if they bring a physical, committed game.
We only have one chance. Brutal physicality plus 3 scoring lines. They will only gang up on M and M anyway. Splitting them up deflects off one line. The 4th line needs to be physical and not fun to play against.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
that may be better for the Leafs for their match up 1st round. It seems finishing 3rd hasn't been too good for the Leafs.
I prefer Boston over the Rangers in round #1, but if you can get by the Rangers, you avoid Florida in round #2. At this point they are not getting an easy out in round #1. They have to man up or they will be teeing off before they know what hit them.

At this point the top 3 seeds are up for grabs so all three are possible 1st round match ups.

Reactions: hoglund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad