Leafs playoff strategy

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I’d give Clifford a look. He was great in preseason. Question is who sits? To me it’s Mcmann.

Clifford-Kampf/Dewar-Reaves would not be a fun line to play against

Reactions: darrylsittler27

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Based on the season so far:

Swayman > Woll
Ullmark > Samsonov

The hope of course is that come playoffs Woll is the .941 Sv% Woll that started games 4 and 5 vs Florida.

While broadly speaking I don't disagree with your assessment here.

BUT playoffs are a different beast. A great goalie acan randomly go cold and a mediocre one get hot at an unexpected time.

For better or for worse I wouldnt feel comfortable making any firm predictions at this time

Reactions: SprDaVE

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Marner should fight Marchand.

I know Mitch is bigger, but still, you know that if the bench sees him fight, the rest will follow the engine!

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
This sounds like the lamentations of a child planning revenge on the schoolyard bully.

I'm gonna get big strong friends. They're gonna beat that jerk to a pulp. That'll teach him to be a bully.

😭 😭 😭

While we're at it why not dream about the Leafs actually winning the cup. Why stop at just beating up the stars on the competition. I mean, let's face it, all those other teams didn't just kick the Leafs ass metaphorically.

They also won the series.

Personally I think the problems are a little deeper than "Instant Contender: Just Add Grit". Coaching, defense, and goaltending are bigger issues. I'd like to see a badder meaner version of this team too.

But just dreaming about them beating up the other teams stars, without dreaming about them winning a cup in the process, sounds more like bloodlust for revenge than a desire to see them become successful.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
This sounds like the lamentations of a child planning revenge on the schoolyard bully.

I'm gonna get big strong friends. They're gonna beat that jerk to a pulp. That'll teach him to be a bully.

😭 😭 😭

While we're at it why not dream about the Leafs actually winning the cup. Why stop at just beating up the stars on the competition. I mean, let's face it, all those other teams didn't just kick the Leafs ass metaphorically.

They also won the series.

Personally I think the problems are a little deeper than "Instant Contender: Just Add Grit". Coaching, defense, and goaltending are bigger issues. I'd like to see a badder meaner version of this team too.

But just dreaming about them beating up the other teams stars, without dreaming about them winning a cup in the process, sounds more like bloodlust for revenge than a desire to see them become successful.
No they need to try something new. Teams were always amazed at the Leafs inability to adjust. We have to do something that helps out our soft stars. I think this is the last year of the Dubas video game version. Playoffs are tough and you need those dirty goals.

Reactions: banks

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
There have been 5 constants throughout the general futility of our playoff appearances. Only one has elevated his play throughout this period of time: Morgan Rielly. Unless two of the others, at least, produce in the playoffs at at least their regular season pace, and hopefully more, worrying about ‘strategy’ is silly. Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Tavares need to play better, as other team’s stars do in the playoffs, if we hope to go deep. Better production/play from our secondary players is of course important, but if our best continue to offer mediocre results…buh bye.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
There have been 5 constants throughout the general futility of our playoff appearances. Only one has elevated his play throughout this period of time: Morgan Rielly. Unless two of the others, at least, produce in the playoffs at at least their regular season pace, and hopefully more, worrying about ‘strategy’ is silly. Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Tavares need to play better, as other team’s stars do in the playoffs, if we hope to go deep. Better production/play from our secondary players is of course important, but if our best continue to offer mediocre results…buh bye.
It is do or die time.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I'm pretty down on the team. I think we lose round 1 and all our free agents get raises and we try again next year

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm pretty down on the team. I think we lose round 1 and all our free agents get raises and we try again next year
Without success, there will be a huge public and media backlash on the organization. There will be some pretty loud calls for change. Whether that is listened to or not... who knows.. But I sense that the fanbase, and media that follows this team is at a breaking point. Many hardcore fans already don't believe in this group, but still remain fans.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Without success, there will be a huge public and media backlash on the organization. There will be some pretty loud calls for change. Whether that is listened to or not... who knows.. But I sense that the fanbase, and media that follows this team is at a breaking point. Many hardcore fans already don't believe in this group, but still remain fans.

You got that right. I was very happy with the moves made during Dubas' tenure. But even I would have cleaned house after last season. Saying I'm at a breaking point is almost understatement by now.

I believe in this team, and I think they'll go far. People could call me gullible for that. And even I will have lost faith if this season is another quick out in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I wonder how much, if any, impact our new CEO Keith Pelley has on the direction of the team

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I wonder how much, if any, impact our new CEO Keith Pelley has on the direction of the team

I really don't know. I don't know where the true power lies with this team. Is it CEO, the board? Who would be the catalyst for change, and we never hear from the board, or the CEO.

Are Rogers/Bell unhappy with the results, or only care about the revenue?

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I really don't know. I don't know where the true power lies with this team. Is it CEO, the board? Who would be the catalyst for change, and we never hear from the board, or the CEO.

Are Rogers/Bell unhappy with the results, or only care about the revenue?
I'd expect revenue is by far the #1 priority

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
These things have been going on for decades

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The real money is made in the post-season, because they don't have to pay the players, so each home date is all profit.

By not winning a round for nearly twenty years, the Maple Leafs left hundreds of millions of dollars on the table.
It's around $7-8 mil revenue per home game in the playoffs.... I mean, it's not all profits, there are still costs, plenty of workers.. but not the big costs as you say.

Reactions: OddyOh and banks

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Mo has raised his game, Willy pretty much maintained pace, I wouldn't count on JT at this stage in his career, which leaves two....

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
It's around $7-8 mil revenue per home game in the playoffs.... I mean, it's not all profits, there are still costs, plenty of workers.. but not the big costs as you say.
i stand to be corrected .... but does the nhl not take 50% of the playoff gates? does anyone know for sure?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
It's interesting, because there really is no reason why the Leafs should match up poorly against Boston. I think as long as the Leafs get decent goaltending they can take Boston out.

Agreed. As usual, it will be special teams and goaltending. Same goes for every team.
We don’t match up with Boston because Boston plays like they want it more and will do whatever it takes to win and the Leafs do not, as we have seen the last 7 years

Reactions: OddyOh

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
i stand to be corrected .... but does the nhl not take 50% of the playoff gates? does anyone know for sure?
i have been corrected .... according to sportico ---

The NHL collects 35% of ticket revenue, but it allowed teams to keep 100% of the gate during the playoffs for the COVID-impacted 2021-22 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad