Leafs playoff strategy

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Simple, put their skates on, lose first round and head for the Muskoka’s for a big welcome off season party, say by by to each other and head to their mansions…….its not like they get paid for the playoffs…….so why up your. Compete level.
Ya I know this sounds cynical but 7 years of the same thing from this core is to blame

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
So, we already know it's Boston and they went and got Maroon? Wow this will be the best series right away. Everyone gets injured this time. If Keefe loses he is toast.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Its obvious that the Leafs are going for a very physical style this time around. I worry that the refs will not put their whistles away as expected, but we will see.

The Leafs PK isn't strong which makes this approach risky.

Reactions: banks

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Our strategy is to hope we can somehow beat Boston and then not get humiliated by Florida.

I will eat my hat if this team somehow makes the ECF.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
We matchup poorly.

Boston isn’t strong vs other teams.
It's interesting, because there really is no reason why the Leafs should match up poorly against Boston. I think as long as the Leafs get decent goaltending they can take Boston out.

PK and Goaltending will determine success or failure, IMO.
Agreed. As usual, it will be special teams and goaltending. Same goes for every team.

Reactions: ACC1224

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
It's interesting, because there really is no reason why the Leafs should match up poorly against Boston. I think as long as the Leafs get decent goaltending they can take Boston out.

Agreed. As usual, it will be special teams and goaltending. Same goes for every team.
You didn’t watch the games ?

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
One thing is no Bergeron and no Rask. If Marchand or Pasta get injured they are very beatable in 7.

PK and Goaltending will determine success or failure, IMO.

All we need is Mitch to kill PK and follow it up with a fight with a much smaller Marchand and we can plan the parade !!!

Our PK is average to bad, our goaltending sucks ass. Nice joke. We either outscore opposition or we won't advance.

Go back to Marner thread, pushing silly agendas.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
"Leafs Playoff Strategy" is the title of this thread.

Here is my strategy:

WIN 16 GAMES
Don't care if it was ugly, lucky, Leaf goalie robbed the opponent, Marner hasn't scored for 9 straight games, etc, etc
Do whatever it takes - every shift of every period of every game of every series.

Just win 16 games!!!!! AS A TEAM.

That is my suggested strategy.

Reactions: SwissLeaf

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
We have Kyle Clifford. As we know certain games are rigged through the reffing. What if we load up on goons and attack their stars like they are allowed to do to ours without consequences. Take the auto loss but inflict maximum pain?

The reason (my theory) the Leafs seem to have a non-contact philosophy is they're held to a different standard than every other team in the league. It's a fact and I don't care if it makes me sound like a whining Leafs fan.

If I remember correctly, Kyle Clifford's last playoff game was against the Lightning two series' ago and his entire contribution was a bad penalty. Loading up on goons is not a viable strategy for this team.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Based on the season so far:

Swayman > Woll
Ullmark > Samsonov

The hope of course is that come playoffs Woll is the .941 Sv% Woll that started games 4 and 5 vs Florida.
The goalies don’t necessarily need to steal the series just not give it away. Those backbreaking softees have killed this team in the past.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The reason (my theory) the Leafs seem to have a non-contact philosophy is they're held to a different standard than every other team in the league. It's a fact and I don't care if it makes me sound like a whining Leafs fan.

If I remember correctly, Kyle Clifford's last playoff game was against the Lightning two series' ago and his entire contribution was a bad penalty. Loading up on goons is not a viable strategy for this team.
Depends on which games you play him. Keefe is well known for not being able to adapt and continually playing combos that arent working. There was one ref last year was an auto loss per series and its Boston.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Its obvious that the Leafs are going for a very physical style this time around. I worry that the refs will not put their whistles away as expected, but we will see.

The Leafs PK isn't strong which makes this approach risky.

I agree. I think this is a good strategy given our usual playoff woes, but a weak PK could easily sink us. And fast.

Got 17 games to figure it out I guess

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2