Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Penguins home opener

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Put Scrivens out there. Don't care if he gets blown out. It's better for him now than later.

I think that Scrivens gets the game against the Penguins and then Reimer gets thursday against the Islanders.

It would be a bit crazy to put a cold goaltender in Reimer against such a good team in the Pens.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
??? Give him those numbers over a full year and it is one of the greatest goalie performances ever.
don't look at the facts though...

the only thing that kept the Leafs at 3 goals against is their ability to get to the loose pucks first because Ben's rebound control has been horrible. Is that a result of a RC system? or lack of skill/drive from their two opponents?

3 goals against can be misleading. if he handles his rebounds against Pittsburgh like he did the first 2 games he won't last the entire 60 minutes IMO.

oh, and I don't know if James would do any better.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Do you think he played a good game?

Do you think he's a worse defenseman than every other one we have?

Should one bad game mean a guy is out of the lineup?

He's had 2 straight years of solid defensive play, probably our most steady guy game to game. Had an off night... but is probably our #2 dman right now, with Gards questionable.

Gunnar is a candidate to play all 48.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
I feel like everybody always over-estimates Pittsburgh because of Crosby and Malkin, they are a deep team at C, VERY shallow on the wings, and a meh defence with the only notable IMO being Letang (Will improve in a year or two).

A good team obviously, but over-rated due to Crosby/Malkin combo IMO.

It's not that they're overrated. It's that Crosby and Malkin are actually that good. Fleury is great when he's on but inconsistent, and I agree with you about their defense (though i think Orpik is pretty good). But Malkin and Crosby on their own would make last year's Blue Jackets a playoff team.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
smart

because Kostka has been "stinking" up the joint right?

No, he'd be the 7th man. I'm a firm believer he'll get eaten alive by Pittsburgh, lol.

Kostka has been playing well, but I think his foot speed would be exposed badly against the likes of all these guys.

keep Gunnarsson away from 1st line minutes

Then put Gardiner up there, I don't think Gunnarsson has been "bad" per se. Holzer was a huge reason that pairing struggled - he had no idea what was going on.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
keep Gunnarsson away from 1st line minutes

This always makes me laugh.

The D aren't the same as the forwards. Rarely do pairigs get double shifted, most dmen will build up their ice time based on special teams play etc. and in the case of your best guy... he might get an extra shift or two a period on another pairing.

How many teams in the league pair their top 2 dmen together? I'd say more than half split up their top 2 guys.

Our best dmen after Phaneuf are Liles and Gardiner. Both are offensive, just like Dion and like to skate with the puck and jump into the play. Putting them together would be a disaster, as you'd be limiting both guys.

Candidates to play with Dion are really Komisarek, Kostka or Gunner. (And of course Holzer or Fraser). CG is the best option IMO.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Do you think he's a worse defenseman than every other one we have?

Should one bad game mean a guy is out of the lineup?

He's had 2 straight years of solid defensive play, probably our most steady guy game to game. Had an off night... but is probably our #2 dman right now, with Gards questionable.

Gunnar is a candidate to play all 48.

Do you think that Franson had a bad game in his first game? No. So was that a reason to keep him out of the lineup.

If the Leafs are going to keep juggling lines and combinations, then why not have Franson in for Gunnarsson and Komisarek in for Frasor.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
he played a decent game, not a good one.. does that mean you sit him next game?? **** NO.

I think that he looked a step slow in that game and made some poor decisions on when to pinch in. The Kulemin giveaways didn't help mind you, but in no way was it a good game for him.

Explain to me why Franson came out of the lineup for the second game? He had a pretty solid first game and his reward was a healthy scratch?

JMcLeaf

Tough opponent but hopefully we're up to the task.

Keep the AHL d-men out.

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Franson
Liles-Komisarek

Kostka has played the 2nd most minutes among our dmen the first two games (27 min last night :amazed:) and done a solid job so I'd be pretty surprised if Carlyle took him out.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Do you think that Franson had a bad game in his first game? No. So was that a reason to keep him out of the lineup.

If the Leafs are going to keep juggling lines and combinations, then why not have Franson in for Gunnarsson and Komisarek in for Frasor.

Franson hasn't played 2 steady years of D for this team. Franson was a 6/7 guy last year where Gunnarsson played 20+ mins on multiple occasions.

If we're going on that standard, Grabo hasn't done anything on the scoreboard these last two games... lets get Steckel in there. Change it up.

29Potvins

Jul 17, 2012
I'm not just looking at save percentage. It's just a point. Fact is, the Leafs have limited scoring chances from both of their opponents, with most of the shots coming from the perimiter. Scriven's rebound control against Montreal was HORRIBLE. The leafs limited Montreal to scoring chances. Thats why only 1 goal was allowed then, and IIRC, that goal was a result from poor rebound control.

Scrivens lost last night, now it's Reimer's turn to shine

This kind of thinking reminds me of Ron Wilson and how he would play musical chairs with his goalies. At some level you want to create competition for these two goalies; but given the camp, and the fact that Scrivens had been playing in the AHL throughout the lockout, you have to give Ben more than one loss.

Most here have said it, and I agree: Scrivens vs Pittsburgh, Reimer vs NYI

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Kostka is a feel good story, but with a healthy defence core, he is no better than a 7th or 8th defenceman on this team in the long run. Plain and simple.

TML g u n n e R s*

I think that he looked a step slow in that game and made some poor decisions on when to pinch in. The Kulemin giveaways didn't help mind you, but in no way was it a good game for him.

Explain to me why Franson came out of the lineup for the second game? He had a pretty solid first game and his reward was a healthy scratch?

uhmmmmmmm gunnar has been a steady D man for this team for years now.. while franson is constantly in and out of the lineup...

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
This always makes me laugh.

The D aren't the same as the forwards. Rarely do pairigs get double shifted, most dmen will build up their ice time based on special teams play etc. and in the case of your best guy... he might get an extra shift or two a period on another pairing.

How many teams in the league pair their top 2 dmen together? I'd say more than half split up their top 2 guys.

Our best dmen after Phaneuf are Liles and Gardiner. Both are offensive, just like Dion and like to skate with the puck and jump into the play. Putting them together would be a disaster, as you'd be limiting both guys.

Candidates to play with Dion are really Komisarek, Kostka or Gunner. (And of course Holzer or Fraser). CG is the best option IMO.
glad you had a laugh.

now some education? RC, the coach, will want the top pair to be on the ice as much as they can against the other team's top players. Not only on PP or PK. 5 on 5 as well. CG is an effective dman but not with that many minutes. 20 minutes a night is a stretch for CG, let alone 27 or 28 the top pair will play

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
This kind of thinking reminds me of Ron Wilson and how he would play musical chairs with his goalies. At some level, you want to create competition for these two goalies, but given the camp, and the fact that Scrivens had been playing in the AHL throughout the lockout, you have to give Ben more than one loss.

Agreed. Shouldn't base the rotation on wins/losses. Go on performance and schedule. Scrivens has been solid so far, nothing spectacular but has a 1.50 gaa and has kept us in the game both nights.

If Scrivens gives up 4-5 goals and we get blown out... by all means change it up. Similarly if he gives up 5 but we rally and win 6-5... definitely grounds to change it up as well.

I say Scrivens starts in Pitt and Reimer in NY. Whoever plays better starts the game after the back to back. If they're both good you go back to Scrivens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00