Speculation: Leafs open to moving 1st rd pick

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Mercer, Askarov, Gunler, Schneider, Jarvis, Amirov... those are some pretty nice choices that might still be around at #15. TML are going to need ELC's in the coming years.

If they don't sign Pietrangelo, then there's no cap problem for the Leafs.

I'd prefer they draft Askarov. But any other guy in the 15th range doesn't help them in the now. A trade for a serious RHD upgrade is totally on the table.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

I'd prefer they draft Askarov. But any other guy in the 15th range doesn't help them in the now. A trade for a serious RHD upgrade is totally on the table.
I would think edm gets askorov at 14

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
William Nylander, Andreas Johannson and the #15th overall pick for Detroits #4 overall and Glendening!! Toronto clears cap space can draft Drysdale and maybe clear cap to sign Pietrangelo

i hope this is a poor attempt at humor... if you were serious, you should find another sport to follow.
the Leafs can sign Petro regardless and worry about the cap later (10% overage allowed).
nobody save pick #1 is remotely close to being worth Nylander on his own, forget adding Johnsson, and the 15th pick, regardless of you adding or not adding the 4th liner to generously sweeten the pot for the leafs

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Scott Laughton for the 16th pick. Laugh all ypu want but I bet that if Fletcher offered it that Dub would jump on it
not saying Dubas wouldnt make that deal, but, when did Laughton start playing defense? ...if the pick is in play, its for a defender.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I like the idea of a Manson (50% retained - 2.05M per for 2 years) trade for the 15th Overall. If you could add Holl into the trade as additional value in the realm of a couple early mid round picks (ex. 3rd and 4th) it would fill a role for cheap where Manson left one at RD in Anaheim and for the Leafs at 50% Manson coming in and Holl leaving they basically come out even on the cap. That would leave them in great shape going into FA. It safeguards them against missing out on Pietrangelo while blowing past the draft and missing out on Manson and others at the same time as the 15th measures up as a pretty nice chip to shop around the league. They put Manson in the bank up 50K in cap space and then head into FA. If Pietrangelo signs. Perfect, that top-4 looks pretty sharp. If he doesn't there is an improvement already in place and cap space and assets to use on the roster to create more cap space and gain more assets to parlay into a grittier, more defensive minded group.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Honestly I think Askarov goes top 5 at this point.

Keep the pick unless you absolutely think there are no FA options and the other trade pieces aren't getting us anywhere.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Honestly I think Askarov goes top 5 at this point.

Keep the pick unless you absolutely think there are no FA options and the other trade pieces aren't getting us anywhere.

Who takes him top 5? 7nless you think he goes to Ottawa at 5 but I doubt it there is to many top forward and D prospects

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Who takes him top 5? 7nless you think he goes to Ottawa at 5 but I doubt it there is to many top forward and D prospects

Apparently Ott has discussed him at 5... I don’t see him being taken there though. However I do think there are 2 or 3 teams before the leafs that may grab him

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Apparently Ott has discussed him at 5... I don’t see him being taken there though. However I do think there are 2 or 3 teams before the leafs that may grab him

I agree namely Buffalo, Carolina, Edmonton maybe Minnesota.

I don't see him going top 5 but I don't see him dropping to 15.

I could be wrong though and if he somehow does drop to 15, Dubas better RUN like he's never ran before to that stage

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I like the idea of a Manson (50% retained - 2.05M per for 2 years) trade for the 15th Overall. If you could add Holl into the trade as additional value in the realm of a couple early mid round picks (ex. 3rd and 4th) it would fill a role for cheap where Manson left one at RD in Anaheim and for the Leafs at 50% Manson coming in and Holl leaving they basically come out even on the cap. That would leave them in great shape going into FA. It safeguards them against missing out on Pietrangelo while blowing past the draft and missing out on Manson and others at the same time as the 15th measures up as a pretty nice chip to shop around the league. They put Manson in the bank up 50K in cap space and then head into FA. If Pietrangelo signs. Perfect, that top-4 looks pretty sharp. If he doesn't there is an improvement already in place and cap space and assets to use on the roster to create more cap space and gain more assets to parlay into a grittier, more defensive minded group.

Wouldn't the idea be to get Manson to play with Rielly? Why get rid of Jake Muzzin's partner on a really solid shutdown pair?

MattyNew91

Jul 5, 2018
I would look at a package of Liljegren+2021 1st to start and maybe if need be add in Johnsson to get that top pairing dman to play with Rielly. This draft is too good I feel to trade this pick. I dont see how that package wouldn't get what we needed.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Connor Murphy for that pick would be fair IMO

Leafs get top 4 RHD they have wanted signed for 2 more years at a cap hit of only $3.85M

He is actually the guy that Leafs are looking for

Good penalty killer who blocks shot and is physical

Hawks get chance to walk away with a pretty good talent for longterm and can plug in Mitchell or another kid into lineup next season

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Thrm just signing their 5 RFAs at QOs put thrm over the cap.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I would look at a package of Liljegren+2021 1st to start and maybe if need be add in Johnsson to get that top pairing dman to play with Rielly. This draft is too good I feel to trade this pick. I dont see how that package wouldn't get what we needed.

Umm.. Johnson, Liljegren, and 21 1st doesn’t get you a 2/3 Dman. Liljegren isn’t ED exempt.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Jim benning has made it clear he wants to add a higher pick can find quote if needed what is the demand for pick 15 ?

dfunk

Feb 1, 2012
Trade the pick if they can improve immediately (top 4 RHD).

A #15 draftee isn’t going to help the leafs next year or the year after. Did people forget the leafs’ small window to go for it?

They’ve traded picks before which ended up disastrously, but times were different. There’s actually a solid core there now. A 15th overall pick is not what everyone cracks it up to be in my opinion

Reactions: qqaz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad