Speculation: Leafs open to moving 1st rd pick

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Done. Did you want Brendan Smith or Marc Staal? If you act now, you can have them both, just pay separate shipping.

did you miss the part that said solid or top 4 or two way or defensive dman

sisseton

Jan 12, 2012
Minnesota
I wonder if the wild kick the tires on acquiring that pick by offering up something starting around Dumba or Brodin + Greenway and other prospect(s) and get #15 as well as try to package in Nylander or maybe another young player like Abramov or the recently acquired Hållander.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I wonder if the wild kick the tires on acquiring that pick by offering up something starting around Dumba or Brodin + Greenway and other prospect(s) and get #15 as well as try to package in Nylander or maybe another young player like Abramov or the recently acquired Hållander.
I can’t see it. Dumba/Brodin is our best trade chip currently and we have to move one of them for a center. We have a pretty good prospect pool as is and I think we’re going to get a really good player at 9. They’d absolutely be available for Nylander as he is one of our best shots at a top 6 center, I just don’t know how much Dubas is actually considering trading Nylander.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Doubtful we move the pick. After the Rags we have to be top FA destination these days. Why not keep the pick and draft a RHD or a C and sign a free agent instead?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Dubas and Keefe need playoff success next season. They are kind of in the same boat as Reirden in getting the job in Washington and then two straight first round exits. Dubas taking over a playoff team the prior 2 seasons from Lou. Loses in round 1 again, off to a bad start this past season and fires Babcock and they don’t qualify for the 16 team real playoffs.

whether he uses this pick to acquire roster players or whatever he needs the team to make round 2 of he is likely fired.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
You have no cap space. You're window shoppers.

The UFA market could not have worked out better for Toronto this season. With the flat cap it’ll be a buyers market. There’s going to be a lot of quality 3rd/4th liners signing short term low AAV contracts just to get by. Fortunately for the Leafs outside of the obvious need for a #2RHD, they need cheap quality gritty two-way vets to fill out the bottom half of the roster. Can’t imagine a Pat Maroon for example making more than his current deal.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
There will be some nice prospects available at #15. Will Dubas be able to delay gratification and keep the pick, or will he feel that he has to make a move to ensure that the Leafs win a playoff series in the next 2-3 years? A 2020 #15 draft pick won't help there.

My point is that what is good for Dubas, and what is good for the Leafs, long term, might not be the same thing. I think Dubas is fired if the Leafs don't win a series next year...21-22 at the latest.

For sure, but I believe if they don’t next year, he’s gone.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
It helps if you open your eyes.

Hronek, maybe? I'm really not sure who you're talking about.

To be fair, I'm not sure he'd be such an improvement over Rielly/Muzzin/Dermott/Holl... Even Sandin (beside playing RD, of course).

I'd certainly not trade #15 OA for him, let alone add Sandin to the package for him. He struggled big time defensively, and the Leafs need a stud top 4 RD, not a lesser version of Barrie.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Hronek, maybe? I'm really not sure who you're talking about.

To be fair, I'm not sure he'd be such an improvement over Rielly/Muzzin/Dermott/Holl... Even Sandin (beside playing RD, of course).

I'd certainly not trade #15 OA for him, let alone add Sandin to the package for him. He struggled big time defensively, and the Leafs need a stud top 4 RD, not a lesser version of Barrie.

"He struggled big time defensively", reads as, "I'm looking at his plus minus and drawing a conclusion."

Hronek easily becomes the Leafs' best RD (Which, to be fair, isn't saying much) and in all likelihood, puts up 50 points next year going from playing on Detroit's shit power play to Toronto's.

Add that to the fact that he'd likely be cost controlled for 2-3 years on a bridge deal.

Reactions: qqaz

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Actually.. if you use the Kapanen deal as a template, the Leafs do have a fair bit of space/flexibility this summer -- at least in the bigger picture. They have $7.5m in space with 16 players signed. That's a little bit over $1m a player. Should they move Kerfoot and/or Johnsson out, that flexibility increases.

They're also not the only team that a flat cap affects. More than 1/2 of the teams in the league this year finished within $1m of the cap. It's also going to be a very interesting free agent market this year; as this year's UFA class is going to bear the brunt of this flat cap and tighter dollars around the league.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
"He struggled big time defensively", reads as, "I'm looking at his plus minus and drawing a conclusion."

Hronek easily becomes the Leafs' best RD (Which, to be fair, isn't saying much) and in all likelihood, puts up 50 points next year going from playing on Detroit's shit power play to Toronto's.

Add that to the fact that he'd likely be cost controlled for 2-3 years on a bridge deal.

You have the right to think Hronek is an established, solid defensively, top 4 RD that is somehow worth #15 OA+top prospect. It won't change my opinion that he is not.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
You have the right to think Hronek is an established, solid defensively, top 4 RD that is somehow worth #15 OA+top prospect. It won't change my opinion that he is not.

Cool. Go make a poll and prove me wrong.

BTW, the nodding emoji should've been the signal that I wasn't legitimately serious about expecting both.

But the fact that you don't think he's worth the 15th OA that you just traded f***ing Kapanen for is laughable.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

People keep saying this anytime they mention a player coming to the LEafs but it simply hasn't happened for many. Muzzin, Barrie, Hainsey...none of these guys saw upticks in production.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
People keep saying this anytime they mention a player coming to the LEafs but it simply hasn't happened for many. Muzzin, Barrie, Hainsey...none of these guys saw upticks in production.

Why would anybody expect Barrie to have an increase in production, coming from arguably the only team that has a better 1st line power play, where he was getting double shifted...

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Why would anybody expect Barrie to have an increase in production, coming from arguably the only team that has a better 1st line power play, where he was getting double shifted...

Sure, but his drop was huge.

Point is, I think the "Toronto" factor is overstated. Rielly will be getting those top minutes for the short term, and Sandin is an excellent puck mover and I think he will be taking over that role eventually.

I'd love Hronek, though. He's an excellent hockey player. Not sure he is the fix right now, especially if we're moving the 15th overall.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad