Speculation: Leafs open to moving 1st rd pick

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Sure, but his drop was huge.

Point is, I think the "Toronto" factor is overstated. Rielly will be getting those top minutes for the short term, and Sandin is an excellent puck mover and I think he will be taking over that role eventually.

I'd love Hronek, though. He's an excellent hockey player. Not sure he is the fix right now, especially if we're moving the 15th overall.

Was going to edit, but you beat me to it... Muzzin's even strength production this year with Toronto is the best it's ever been. His overall production dropped because he went from getting 2 minutes of PP time a night in LAK to nothing in Toronto.

So I don't think the increase is overstated. Barrie was coming from Colorado to Toronto. Offensively, that's a lateral move, and he was top 2 in the league in PPTOI before being traded. Muzzin's production actually did improve, he just didn't get PPTOI anymore. Hronek, on the other hand, would go from a team scoring 142 goals with a 14.9% PP, to a team scoring 237 goals with a 23.1% PP.

Hronek would also likely be playing on a pairing with Rielly in Toronto... In Detroit, his top 3 pairings were Nemeth, Daley, and Bowey.

I think we're on the same page for the most part, but I don't see any way Hronek doesn't have a sizeable production increase in Toronto.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Subban 50percent retained salary for the 15th pick
Laughable

How open are the leads to moving Nylander to make space for Petro?
Fans are open, but it sounds like Dubas plans on keeping him in our top 6

I see them thinking they can package that pick with a player to move up 3-5 spots. It wont happen.
Leafs won't try to move up. If anything they will move down. Dubas has done it many times to gain more picks, I don't think he sees the value in moving up.

Doubtful we move the pick. After the Rags we have to be top FA destination these days. Why not keep the pick and draft a RHD or a C and sign a free agent instead?
No chance we are the 2nd highest FA destination. Players want to sign in the states to make more money because of taxes so we will never be top of the league in FA destination.

How about a 22 year old Top 4 RHD for the 1st + Sandin? :nod:

What is Hronek's ceiling?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

If it's game 7 of the SCF and you're on the PK while up a goal in the last minute, he probably wouldn't be the ideal choice.

If it's game 7 of the SCF and you're on the PP while down a goal in the last minute, he probably would be the ideal choice.

Basically, I think he's a #3 on a contender with a chance of growing into a solid #2 beside a shut down defenseman. But PP-wise, I think he can QB a top PP on a contender.

FWIW, 15 + Sandin wasn't a legitimate expectation, but I do think if Detroit drafts Drysdale, Hronek for Sandin+ is a good trade for both teams. Toronto is an abomination on the right side and Detroit is an abomination on the left. Hronek is probably what the Leafs hope Sandin can be, but obviously more proven, hence the add on the Leafs' end.

Reactions: Gilles Meloche

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
If it's game 7 of the SCF and you're on the PK while up a goal in the last minute, he probably wouldn't be the ideal choice.

If it's game 7 of the SCF and you're on the PP while down a goal in the last minute, he probably would be the ideal choice.

Basically, I think he's a #3 on a contender with a chance of growing into a solid #2 beside a shut down defenseman. But PP-wise, I think he can QB a top PP on a contender.

FWIW, 15 + Sandin wasn't a legitimate expectation, but I do think if Detroit drafts Drysdale, Hronek for Sandin+ is a good trade for both teams. Toronto is an abomination on the right side and Detroit is an abomination on the left. Hronek is probably what the Leafs hope Sandin can be, but obviously more proven, hence the add on the Leafs' end.
It doesn't sound like a trade the Leafs would need to do since we need defensive type guys, not really offensive, but he may be a good partner for Muzzin.

I haven't seen him play at all so I'd have to scout him, but if he is what you say he is I would offer Dermott for him straight up. It sounds to me like they are similar value but one is LH and the other is RH.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Actually.. if you use the Kapanen deal as a template, the Leafs do have a fair bit of space/flexibility this summer -- at least in the bigger picture. They have $7.5m in space with 16 players signed. That's a little bit over $1m a player. Should they move Kerfoot and/or Johnsson out, that flexibility increases.

They're also not the only team that a flat cap affects. More than 1/2 of the teams in the league this year finished within $1m of the cap. It's also going to be a very interesting free agent market this year; as this year's UFA class is going to bear the brunt of this flat cap and tighter dollars around the league.
I'd move Johnson and Kerfoot to the Penguins for their 2022 and 2023 1st round picks

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
There's a bunch of players I'd take for the #15 OA. But, even with the cap space Kapanen left behind, most guys are just too expensive.

Liquidate Johnsson and then there's a chance for Manson, Severson, Dumba, Hronek, or whomever.

My preference would be to sign a cheaper UFA like Hamonic for 2 years or so, and keep the pick. But who knows.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
I am sure Dubas will move the pick in a deal that is a value wise lopsided move for them. Much like the Kapanen move was value wise. But if you watached any of the interview he got a lot more excited talking about how the scouting staff has already targeted some players. Sounded like a guy who really wants to draft someone with that pick in that area.

Reactions: Petrus

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
What would the Leafs ask from the Kings for that pick?
And can we please keep it in the realm of reality?

I don't know.

Dig Tyler Madden a lot. Sam Fagemo?

Probably take that one of those players + a future first maybe?

Madden or Fagemo + 2021 1st for 15th overall.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Laughable

Fans are open, but it sounds like Dubas plans on keeping him in our top 6

Leafs won't try to move up. If anything they will move down. Dubas has done it many times to gain more picks, I don't think he sees the value in moving up.

No chance we are the 2nd highest FA destination. Players want to sign in the states to make more money because of taxes so we will never be top of the league in FA destination.

A: We have no idea if Dubas will trade Nylander or not. Things change, and we have greater needs than a second line RW.

B: We don’t know if he’ll move up or not, he’s moved down and cost us Travis Konecny in order to draft Travis Dermott. One of our needs is a goaltender for the future, and there will be a pretty good one available around the 10th pick.

C: This is an old myth that’s been proven false many times. You understand that when you get paid in USD but are buying CAD it more than makes up for the taxes right. Even Bob Mackenzie said start players barely even consider such things, you are pushing a nonsense idea.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
A: We have no idea if Dubas will trade Nylander or not. Things change, and we have greater needs than a second line RW.

B: We don’t know if he’ll move up or not, he’s moved down and cost us Travis Konecny in order to draft Travis Dermott. One of our needs is a goaltender for the future, and there will be a pretty good one available around the 10th pick.

C: This is an old myth that’s been proven false many times. You understand that when you get paid in USD but are buying CAD it more than makes up for the taxes right. Even Bob Mackenzie said start players barely even consider such things, you are pushing a nonsense idea.
Actually it was Mark Hunter who passed on Travis Konecny since he was in charge of the draft in 2015.

When Dubas in charge of who the Leafs selected in 2018 and traded down from the 25th pick to the 29th pick to select Rasmus Sandin, the Blues who traded up selected Dominik Bokk.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
It’s funny because these quotes and big headlines like that always come from a question.

I don’t know if it is but i’d bet my house on it.

Would you be willing to trade the 15th overall?

HELL NO said no GM ever.

it’s called political answers.

Richard Menzel

Jan 23, 2019
William Nylander, Andreas Johannson and the #15th overall pick for Detroits #4 overall and Glendening!! Toronto clears cap space can draft Drysdale and maybe clear cap to sign Pietrangelo

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Scott Laughton for the 16th pick. Laugh all ypu want but I bet that if Fletcher offered it that Dub would jump on it

Benhurd

Sep 4, 2020
That's Josh Manson's music!

But it's gonna take more than that 1st to get the 50% retention he'd be wanting.

Leafs trade johnsson + 15th pick (3.4 million)

ducks trade Manson at 50% retained (2.05 million)

leafs land a big shut down D at a great cap hit also clearing up almost 1.4 million extra in space which brings them to nearly 8 million in space.

potentially bringing another signing for a guy like harmonic, sign mikeyev, dermott. Sign spezza to another 1 year contract and possibly if there’s enough room get a grinding winger like summons’s/clifford type player for cheap if possible

Hyman mattehews nylander
Marner Tavares mikheyev
Robertson kerfoot engvall
Gauthier spezza simmonds/Clifford?

rielly Manson
Muzzin hamonic
Holl dermott
freddy+campbell

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Am I wrong thinking we maybe overrate Josh Manson a little bit around here?

Dubas should just keep the pick. I really like the top 18 or 19 skaters in this draft.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad