Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Thing is, I don’t understand why relying on guys like Bertuzzi and Domi is a good strategy to build good secondary scoring. They (Brad and Shanny) are out of ideas and end up signing duds like this. And Klingberg too. Which guys turned out to be good on a year deal so far? None, except 4th liner Gregor who has been alright. That’s not the way to go.

Every move they made was an astronomical failure, except Domi (Gregor is okay for a 4th liner but he doesn’t make a difference). 1 year 3 million and he actually can create scoring opportunities. I’m confused and wondering if Bertuzzi is hurt or something and pray he finds his game in the playoffs but I’m really not counting on either of them making a difference. Best case scenario we get Tanev, and Woll or Samsonov get hot at the right time. Other than that better luck next year, but man I have no faith in Treliving and also wish we would get a new coach at this point.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Thing is, I don’t understand why relying on guys like Bertuzzi and Domi is a good strategy to build good secondary scoring. They (Brad and Shanny) are out of ideas and end up signing duds like this. And Klingberg too. Which guys turned out to be good on a year deal so far? None, except 4th liner Gregor who has been alright. That’s not the way to go.
The options were limited in free agency, most of the assets were traded away by Dubas. Not sure we can lay the blame on a GM hired a month before free agency with Matthews and Nylander contracts looming.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The options were limited in free agency, most of the assets were traded away by Dubas. Not sure we can lay the blame on a GM hired a month before free agency with Matthews and Nylander contracts looming.
It was a no win situation for sure, but other than Lagesson, Benoit, and Murray all Tre’s moves haven’t panned out. Signing Styles to that contract was ridiculous and makes me wonder if Tre was TOLD to sign him no matter what……..

Reactions: ToneDog

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Just look at their roster and where they are at in the standings, they are a garbage team that got lucky tonight

The NYI's after beating the Leafs for the 3rd time this year are now 4 points behind the Leafs holding a Wildcard spot.

1707251779518.png

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I guess you never had to wait in line forever while someone checked 50 lottery tickets and bought 50 more.
I didn't say the lottery isn't addictive, just that sports betting is more addictive. That's just my assumption and to be fair I have nothing to back it up, it just seems obvious to me.

The waiting in line comment reminds me of a funny story - I used to play proline regularly back about 30 years ago when it was full of holes. There was one weekend where the lines they set were so bad, the smart money was all over it and Proline actually lost money that week for the first time ever. Usually they paid out I think it was about 60-65 cents for every dollar that was bet, you can imagine how huge the mistakes were that they made that weekend. It made the news, and they tightened up quite a bit after that (and I never figured out how they could make the lines on some games here and there so bad, it may have been intentional where the guys making the lines were secretly betting themselves, who knows). I was one of the winners that weekend, I think I bought a coupld hundred tickets and when the cashier at my corner store was putting through my tickets, there was some old lady waiting for me to be finished to buy a lottery ticket haha.

I will never forget, she said something to me like "that's too much. Buying a ticket now and then is OK, but that's too much". My response to her was "no, I should be buying more" LOL. And it was true too cause I knew what I was doing, and I only bet when proline made huge mistakes and the theoretical edges I had were so huge, I was thinking I probably should bet more. And I hit bigtime, I bet out about 700 bucks and got back about 7 grand, my biggest payday ever. :)

Every government is morally bankrupt. Government is a reflection of its society. In case anyone has noticed, society is going to shit at an alarming rate.
Hard to argue. I guess I would only say that there are different levels of immorality and our govt. isn't quite 100% bankrupt, not yet anyway.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The options were limited in free agency
Bullshit.

2.5 million or less, most (not all) signed by teams currently in a playoff spot:

Tatar 1 x 1.5
Suter 2 x 1.6
Sundqvist 1 x .77
Fischer 1 x 1.1
JVR 1 x 1
Donato 2 x 2
Hathaway 2 x 2.4
Eller 2 x 2.4
Bjugstad 2 x 2.1
Stenlund 1x1
Acciari 3x2
Wood 6x 2.5
Poehling 1 x 1.4
Geekie 2 x 2
Fast 2 x 2.4
Namestnikov 2x2
Sprong 1x 2
Blueger 1 x 1.9

Secondary offense? Grit? Defensive play? Size? Speed? Complementary worker bees? All there for the taking.

Could literally throw darts at that list and get a better fit for our roster going into the offseason than Bert/Domi/Reaves, and for a lot less than 9.85million.

That's before going into the 3-5m options and the defenders available.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Don’t see where a comma was needed there lol

Sheesh, use a comma.

I don't know why I felt like clarifying but I was not being serious, as my later Ace Ventura post suggests

Bullshit.

2.5 million or less, most (not all) signed by teams currently in a playoff spot:

Tatar 1 x 1.5
Suter 2 x 1.6
Sundqvist 1 x .77
Fischer 1 x 1.1
JVR 1 x 1
Donato 2 x 2
Hathaway 2 x 2.4
Eller 2 x 2.4
Bjugstad 2 x 2.1
Stenlund 1x1
Acciari 3x2
Wood 6x 2.5
Poehling 1 x 1.4
Geekie 2 x 2
Fast 2 x 2.4
Namestnikov 2x2
Sprong 1x 2
Blueger 1 x 1.9

Secondary offense? Grit? Defensive play? Size? Speed? Complementary worker bees? All there for the taking.

Could literally throw darts at that list and get a better fit for our roster going into the offseason than Bert/Domi/Reaves, and for a lot less than 9.85million.

So who on that list is scoring all the goals

Reactions: rumman

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I try to avoid making predictions since I have done my share of sports betting and I know anything can happen. I remember 4 predictions that I have made re. the Leafs, only one had to do with the outcome of games/series.

3 predictions that I got right, these were all super easy IMO:
Kessel contract extension with the Leafs, nailed both the dollar amount and term.
Phaneuf contract extension with the Leafs, nailed both the dollar amount and term.
JVR would not be extended by the Leafs.

The 1 prediction that I got wrong, of course it was the only one where I was so sure of the outcome that I predicted it. I never posted it here, it was just me talking to myself basically but still, I did make this prediction if I'm being honest (which I do try to be). I predicted that not only would the Leafs beat MTL in that playoff series, I predicted they would win the next round as well and represent Canada in the final 4. I thought this one was super easy too LOL, note to myself - never again make predictions about outcomes of sporting events! And if I had access to online sports betting like I do now, I would have bet on it (though not the house) LOL.
I made that guaranteed prediction too. I thought for sure that we were going to make the final 4 that year.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Bullshit.

Tatar 1 x 1.5
Suter 2 x 1.6
Sundqvist 1 x .77
Fischer 1 x 1.1
JVR 1 x 1
Donato 2 x 2
Hathaway 2 x 2.4
Eller 2 x 2.4
Bjugstad 2 x 2.1
Stenlund 1x1
Acciari 3x2
Wood 6x 2.5
Poehling 1 x 1.4
Geekie 2 x 2
Fast 2 x 2.4
Namestnikov 2x2
Sprong 1x 2
Blueger 1 x 1.9

lol, that’s a low end garage sale

Reactions: rumman

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021
The NYI's after beating the Leafs for the 3rd time this year are now 4 points behind the Leafs holding a Wildcard spot.

View attachment 815413
Most hilarious thing to happen would be Leafs losing wild card to Pens. Man, that would cause a sh.t storm here and lots of schadenfreude in the hockey world. At least, it would be very leafy thing to do lol

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Thy had to ice a team and the options were to give some Marlies or juniors a tryout or give Bertuzzi and Domi a shot on a one year deal. It’s fine to try them and let the youngster play, too.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I made that guaranteed prediction too. I thought for sure that we were going to make the final 4 that year.
I'm still shaking my head at that one. IIRC, they dominated all season, taking over 1st place early in the season and staying there. It seemed like every time some team got close to us, we played them and beat them convincingly. Then we went up 3-1 against MTL and then of course we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

I'll say it again, I'm still shaking my head at that one.

• Love
Reactions: myleafs and mikeyz

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I'm still shaking my head at that one. IIRC, they dominated all season, taking over 1st place early in the season and staying there. It seemed like every time some team got close to us, we played them and beat them convincingly. Then we went up 3-1 against MTL and then of course we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

I'll say it again, I'm still shaking my head at that one.
That should have been the end of Keefe TBH with you.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Most hilarious thing to happen would be Leafs losing wild card to Pens. Man, that would cause a sh.t storm here and lots of schadenfreude in the hockey world. At least, it would be very leafy thing to do lol
if this happens I am going to print out every page of the 7-0 PGT from December make a little zine or something from them

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I really hope we can spend enough of that billion dollar corporation coin to one day get over this "Leafy thing" stigma and beat the brakes off of bad teams and make them shut their mouths. No valid reason exists why our team lost 3 times to the Islanders and twice to the Blackhawks. Get your shit together and start playing to your potential already.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Most of them are scoring more than what we have in complementary/depth roles, and most of them have better defensive or physical games (or both) as well.
I will give you the defence physical..

But offense sucks on that list

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I really hope we can spend enough of that billion dollar corporation coin to one day get over this "Leafy thing" stigma and beat the brakes off of bad teams and make them shut their mouths. No valid reason exists why our team lost 3 times to the Islanders and twice to the Blackhawks. Get your shit together and start playing to your potential already.

Look at the save percentage the Leafs got every game.

Hint: It was never over .900

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad