Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I try to avoid making predictions since I have done my share of sports betting and I know anything can happen. I remember 4 predictions that I have made re. the Leafs, only one had to do with the outcome of games/series.

3 predictions that I got right, these were all super easy IMO:
Kessel contract extension with the Leafs, nailed both the dollar amount and term.
Phaneuf contract extension with the Leafs, nailed both the dollar amount and term.
JVR would not be extended by the Leafs.

The 1 prediction that I got wrong, of course it was the only one where I was so sure of the outcome that I predicted it. I never posted it here, it was just me talking to myself basically but still, I did make this prediction if I'm being honest (which I do try to be). I predicted that not only would the Leafs beat MTL in that playoff series, I predicted they would win the next round as well and represent Canada in the final 4. I thought this one was super easy too LOL, note to myself - never again make predictions about outcomes of sporting events! And if I had access to online sports betting like I do now, I would have bet on it (though not the house) LOL.
Once had a big bet on a NFL wildcard game between the Falcons and Cowboys, Falcons up 21-0 at halftime my co bettor had taken the Cowboys, was drunk and said double or nothing to which I said “you’re on.” I think the Cowboys won that one 28-21. Bet put me in the poor house, had to start from scratch, lesson learned………

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Cooper got strong production/continued development from tampas later draf5ed/undrafted guys at the NHL level

Killorn, Palat, Tyler Johnson, Cernak, Gourde, Colton when he was there

Boston similar under Cassidy with:

Heinen, Debrusk, Frerderik, Carlo, Gryzlyk,

They find top 6/top 9 players and 3/4D who play big parts for their team

Teams have been able to contend and develop guys into big pieces for their windows

Pens with Pettersson, Rust, guentzel

Blues with Thomas, Kyrou, Dunn(when there),

We havent been able to find this balance. We are trying to contend but we can't get our promising young players to take the next step and be that 2ndary supporting core mix that can elevate the team and help us push through in the playoffs
As a spectator it looks like this team is about our top stars and then everyone else is an afterthought. One of the first things I read about Tocchet is that he makes sure everyone is part of the team and that everyone has a well defined role. The leafs live and die with the core four. 16,34,88 all with 24+ min last night..pp.pk meanwhile .....3rd line....9-10 min.4th line 6 min. I dont see how you can play every other night in the playoffs like this.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
As a spectator it looks like this team is about our top stars and then everyone else is an afterthought. One of the first things I read about Tocchet is that he makes sure everyone is part of the team and that everyone has a well defined role. The leafs live and die with the core four. 16,34,88 all with 24+ min last night..pp.pk meanwhile .....3rd line....9-10 min.4th line 6 min. I dont see how you can play every other night in the playoffs like this.
You cant

I know media picks up on trends and starts using them

But when it becomes commonplace to hear core4 multiple times a broadcast it says something

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
If they try to do this in the playoffs, it will end badly. It's one thing to play your top defensive pairing 24 or 25 minutes per night, as that seems pretty standard, but you can't have three forwards playing near 25 minutes each. It's not sustainable.

Reactions: Cypruss and bax

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
How many more points would Nylander have over the past couple of weeks, if Tavares could finish?
or Bertuzzi could finish?
It seems that the core3 needs to play on the same line to have points now. C'mon, stone-hand Hyman has 30 goals so far this season.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Shanny needs to be gone. His biggest accomplishment in 10 years here is leading a tank and winning the lottery.
Well, look at the bright side we could of not drafted Matthews. I wonder what the team would like right now if that did not happen. Who knows but I think Shanahan should be gone if leafs miss post season or early exit in 1st round. It might not entirely be his fault but this long stretch without long playoff runs is not looking to good.

Reactions: ToneDog

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Once had a big bet on a NFL wildcard game between the Falcons and Cowboys, Falcons up 21-0 at halftime my co bettor had taken the Cowboys, was drunk and said double or nothing to which I said “you’re on.” I think the Cowboys won that one 28-21. Bet put me in the poor house, had to start from scratch, lesson learned………
Wow, what a brutal loss. But yeah, sports are never a sure thing. Lots of people learn that the hard way and the really unfortunate ones never learn at all.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
same as the Oilers, once they figure it out. It is a team game (defensive and offensive). They can win games when McDavid/Draisaitl has no point in the game.

Then, to be fair, when the coach's job is on the line, it is understandable to give them so many mins.

Last edited:

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
The reason Tre is not going to trade Domi and Bert for first round pick is because nobody would even consider trading those picks for them
Bertuzzi returned a first and fourth last year while putting up pretty much the same numbers.

There might be someone who offeres it up.

Domi has zero chance of returning a first, even though I have been less disappointed in him.

Brodie probably has very little value. Possibly someone wants some depth where they could insulate him.

I highly doubt the Leafs sell anyways. I just hope they don't overpay to buy.

Tanev would make this D insanely better, but I don't think he alone would get us over the mountain. Sign him with Klingberg's expiring money in the offseason. Use Brodie's to try and lure Pesce, or Roy.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Bertuzzi returned a first and fourth last year while putting up pretty much the same numbers.

Domi has zero chance of returning a first, even though I have been less disappointed in him.

Brodie probably has very little value. Possibly someone wants some depth where they could insulate him.

Tanev would make this D insanely better, but I don't think he alone would get us over the mountain. Sign him with Klingberg's expiring money in the offseason. Use Brodie's to try and lure Pesce, or Roy.
I think the Leafs will acquire Tanev this season. It's just too obvious of a fit. The other team that I think he would do wonders for is Edmonton, but I am assuming a Calgary/Edmonton trade is less likely to happen.

Reactions: Jojalu

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland

I'm not for bringing in expiring contracts. They gave up to many draft picks in the past that really hurt us.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Bertuzzi wasn’t making 5.5 with an NMC and failing to score at even a mediocre middle 6 rate with elite players setting him up. He’s rapidly approaching cap dump territory without retention.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
With all of the gambling ads these days I have no doubt we are creating a generation that will be rife with addicts.
Agreed. Those ads show how morally bankrupt the Ford government is. It's bad enough that the government promotes lotteries, but sports betting is addictive in a way that lotteries are not and promoting that the way they are is ... morally bankrupt.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Agreed. Those ads show how morally bankrupt the Ford government is. It's bad enough that the government promotes lotteries, but sports betting is addictive in a way that lotteries are not and promoting that the way they are is ... morally bankrupt.
I guess you never had to wait in line forever while someone checked 50 lottery tickets and bought 50 more.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Every government is morally bankrupt. Government is a reflection of its society. In case anyone has noticed, society is going to shit at an alarming rate.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I guess you never had to wait in line forever while someone checked 50 lottery tickets and bought 50 more.

This is actually a campaign to get people to quit smoking, that’s why they have the cigarettes, scratch offs, and dry cleaning in a separate area at the big box stores.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
We know exactly what this team is.
Suspect goaltending, crappy defence, 4 highly skilled players that suck up way to much of the cash and only show up when they feel like it (making bank) is what’s most important to them and a bunch of scrubs to fill the roster spots.
They have been this for 7 years now and nothing will change unless Shanny , Tre and Keefe are fired

7 years? I don’t think you can include their first few seasons in the league. If they don’t make a deep run the next few seasons though it will be a major disappointment but the way this team is constructed right now I don’t see it happening. We desperately need another defenseman or two and secondary scoring. It will take a miracle for this team to win a playoff round this year.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Well that’s what happens when the rest of your team sucks. Before this season we didn’t lean on them as heavily because we had players that could actually be trusted to either score or defend.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Well that’s what happens when the rest of your team sucks. Before this season we didn’t lean on them as heavily because we had players that could actually be trusted to either score or defend.

Thing is, I don’t understand why relying on guys like Bertuzzi and Domi is a good strategy to build good secondary scoring. They (Brad and Shanny) are out of ideas and end up signing duds like this. And Klingberg too. Which guys turned out to be good on a year deal so far? None, except 4th liner Gregor who has been alright. That’s not the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad