Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Most hilarious thing to happen would be Leafs losing wild card to Pens. Man, that would cause a sh.t storm here and lots of schadenfreude in the hockey world. At least, it would be very leafy thing to do lol
Absolutely nothing surprises me with this organization anymore.

As a matter of fact, at this point, I actually would be surprised if what you said DIDN'T happen.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I really hope we can spend enough of that billion dollar corporation coin to one day get over this "Leafy thing" stigma and beat the brakes off of bad teams and make them shut their mouths. No valid reason exists why our team lost 3 times to the Islanders and twice to the Blackhawks. Get your shit together and start playing to your potential already.
How many players play to their potential or exceed their expectations? Small handful.

When you consistently see the same crap over and over, why not change the coach?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That should have been the end of Keefe TBH with you.
I suggested in the summer that we look into what we could get in a trade for Marner. Holy smokes did I ever get raked over the coals for that one.

1st team all-star signed for 4 more years. Can you imagine the haul we would have gotten for him, could have completely rebuilt our D. But almost everyone was like "you never win a trade trading a player like Marner". Yeah, Ok then.

Reactions: ToneDog

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Bertuzzi wasn’t making 5.5 with an NMC and failing to score at even a mediocre middle 6 rate with elite players setting him up. He’s rapidly approaching cap dump territory without retention.
You would really need someone to believe he would easily replicate his performance in the playoffs last year.

Which I doubt he does.

But if he does, it may as well be for the Leafs anyways.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Bad game, but I don't see us losing a playoff spot.

At the same time, if we remain in wild-card spot, It's Bos or Nyr, if we move up, Florida? I don't like our chances vs any of them
Too bad the Sharks is not in the Eastern Conf as I really like our chances against them. lol.

For real, I don’t think there is any playoffs teams that will favor our boys.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Most of them are scoring more than what we have in complementary/depth roles, and most of them have better defensive or physical games (or both) as well.
Eller was the only name I thought was intriguing, and not for goal scoring…….

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I will give you the defence physical..

But offense sucks on that list
Domi and Bertuzzi combine for 10 goals (6 and 4), 25 and 20 points respectively

That list has
6 players with 20 or more points

3 players with 10 or more goals
5 with 8-9
7 with 5-7

most bringing aforementioned defense and physicality, with less offensive minutes.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Bullshit.

2.5 million or less, most (not all) signed by teams currently in a playoff spot:

Tatar 1 x 1.5
Suter 2 x 1.6
Sundqvist 1 x .77
Fischer 1 x 1.1
JVR 1 x 1
Donato 2 x 2
Hathaway 2 x 2.4
Eller 2 x 2.4
Bjugstad 2 x 2.1
Stenlund 1x1
Acciari 3x2
Wood 6x 2.5
Poehling 1 x 1.4
Geekie 2 x 2
Fast 2 x 2.4
Namestnikov 2x2
Sprong 1x 2
Blueger 1 x 1.9

Secondary offense? Grit? Defensive play? Size? Speed? Complementary worker bees? All there for the taking.

Could literally throw darts at that list and get a better fit for our roster going into the offseason than Bert/Domi/Reaves, and for a lot less than 9.85million.

That's before going into the 3-5m options and the defenders available.
Aciarri 3g-4pts in 38games all for only 2m x 3yrs , yup your boi Dubie sure hit a home run on that signing .

you should also go to the pens board and see what they think about the rest of the summer of Dubas , especially Graves at 6yrs x 4.5m

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
You would really need someone to believe he would easily replicate his performance in the playoffs last year.

Which I doubt he does.

But if he does, it may as well be for the Leafs anyways.
He needs to be on PP1 to have the same success as he did in the playoffs.
Which applies to any players signing with the Leafs as depth scoring.
It is not just getting points on PP but also their rhythm of the game and consistency…

That’s why I think nomatter whom we sign as depth from now on, his stats will suffer due to lack of PP time and won’t be worth the contract he signs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

That list has

5 with 8-9
7 with 5-7

most bringing aforementioned defense and physicality, with less offensive minutes.
I wanted JVR. Can't remember how many points he had but I think he might not have been on your list.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I wanted JVR. Can't remember how many points he had but I think he might not have been on your list.
He was, snuck him in as the only acronym.

Honestly wasn't on my radar. I was hoping we'd take the opportunity to build of an identity with tempo, good team D and (effective) in your face play where the big 4 were the outliers and have them get infected.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He was, snuck him in as the only acronym.

Honestly wasn't on my radar. I was hoping we'd take the opportunity to build of an identity with tempo, good team D and (effective) in your face play where the big 4 were the outliers and have them get infected.
Well, you know the rest of the league better than me so that's why you probably were considering many more options than I was. So I was familiar with him, I figured he could still score, he was comfortable with playing here and lack of scoring has been a problem in the playoffs and since the price was so cheap, why not take a shot. And that was the extent of my "scientific analysis" LOL.

Reactions: 4thline

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Well, you know the rest of the league better than me so that's why you probably were considering many more options than I was. So I was familiar with him, I figured he could still score, he was comfortable with playing here and lack of scoring has been a problem in the playoffs and since the price was so cheap, why not take a shot. And that was the extent of my "scientific analysis" LOL.
Knew, shit is definitely slipping this year. Toddler's trump hockey following

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
This team is cooked.

Overpaying Marner, Nylander and Tavares jesus christ.

I'm pretty big on Nylander, yet his post contract play has been sad.

Tavares may as well be a 4th line center.

Marner should thank Matthews.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

That list has

5 with 8-9
7 with 5-7

that's all fine - and sincerely i wish i had time today to dig in and look at minutes and project roles etc..

i just don't see this past ufa crop as thick with options, not to say we didn't pick the wrong guys because i didn't like the bertuzzi and was lukewarm on domi at best...

i mean on the other hand, i would take 3 or 4 of those guys on that list over bert/domi but not for goal scoring, but rather how they play. this of course leads me into looking at and discussing how we play, how keefe plays and to be honest he's a giant WTF for me.. i think we target incorrect players because keefe is running such a bland identity-less brand.

Reactions: 4thline and myleafs

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yes, and how do you explain, it working for them and not us? As one poster said, Bert was the top UFA last summer. He and Domi had solid playoffs and appeared to be good signings. Leafs had been trying to acquire Bert for years. Maybe it is the coach or the core ?

The coach and the core aren't the reason Bert couldn't hit a double wide barn this year.

Looking more like he just had a really hot 7 game streak last playoffs more so than that was who he was as a player.

He had a fairly meh regular season last year too

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I listened to leafs talk on my drive home from work today and heard they did a tribute to Engvall at the game? Why on earth would they feel the need to do that?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
How many players play to their potential or exceed their expectations? Small handful.

When you consistently see the same crap over and over, why not change the coach?
Well…..

“We’ve got a good team here. We’ve got good players,” Keefe said. “As a coaching staff, we need to do a better job with them and work with them and help them recognize our own goal in getting the team to play to its potential.
“I think we’ve done that, I would say, about 50 percent of the games — we’ve been really good,” Keefe continued. “That’s not enough. That’s not enough in the NHL.””

https://x.com/tlndc/status/1754983079708672242?s=61&t=7W_etrqNlDekzU5eXlXcDA

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Eh, drafted and developed here. 200 games with the Leafs + almost 100 with the Marlies. Don't see anything wrong with it
Fine player I suppose but I mean really didn't do anything of significance in his time here. It seemed odd to me.

Reactions: Buds17

Borschevsky

Aug 9, 2005
I listened to leafs talk on my drive home from work today and heard they did a tribute to Engvall at the game? Why on earth would they feel the need to do that?
I was at the game. It was just a "welcome back to Toronto. thank you for your four seasons" sort of thing over the PA during a commercial break. Nothing more.

You couldn't call it a "tribute"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad