Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose Rematch to the Devils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
This team goes out in round 1 and Keefe better be shown his walking papers swiftly. The powerplay has been shit for well over a month and he’s got zero answers for it. Why he left Samsonov in is beyond me, dude clearly didn’t have it tonight. Keefe also keeps f***ing around with the lines, unable to find a mix that works.
If they go out first round again Shanny should be shown the door along with Keefe and I know the core is all but locked in but dammit they need to change a few of those clowns as well

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
IMG_8097.jpeg

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Not at all concerned with this game, they didn't have much to play for. And home ice in round one really isn't the greatest motivator, even if for this team it would be an actual advantage (it's not).

The only thing that is worrisome is that brutal power play. That really, really needs to get sorted quick. They're worse with a man advantage than every team in the league and a few AHL teams at this point.

With the talent this group has there's really no excuse that they haven't yet figured out what works, while Keefe seems to think running the same five out there every night doing the exact same thing is the answer.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I believe that line has a chance to be really good.

I just can't think of what the third and fourth line become.

Between McMann, Jarnkrok, Kamph, Dewar, Reaves, Holmberg, Robertson and Knies, who slots where and who is in the box?
I think the problem is that in that mix of players you don't really have a competent third line, which means you end up borrowing from the 4th line (i.e., moving Kampf up) to assemble the third line. I think they have to go back to Tavares on the third line. Otherwise, you have a bit of a dog's breakfast in those bottom two lines, and you end up in the same place you were in prior years.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I think the problem is that in that mix of players you don't really have a competent third line, which means you end up borrowing from the 4th line (i.e., moving Kampf up) to assemble the third line. I think they have to go back to Tavares on the third line. Otherwise, you have a bit of a dog's breakfast in those bottom two lines, and you end up in the same place you were in prior years.
That's how I look at it.

I think it's a good option to have if they are down a goal, or tied and need some jump, but it defeats the purpose of trying to spread the wealth around

Reactions: Evilhomer

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I believe that line has a chance to be really good.

I just can't think of what the third and fourth line become.

Between McMann, Jarnkrok, Kamph, Dewar, Reaves, Holmberg, Robertson and Knies, who slots where and who is in the box?

McMann-Jarnkrok-Knies
Dewar-Kamph-Reaves

Robertson-Holmberg

Is my pick.

If the second line has a chance to be that dominant they should roll with it. Domi-Matthews-Bertuzzi are still looking great.

Reactions: DarkKnight

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I know this game in the grand scheme doesn’t mean much, I prefer to start on the road, but dammit these games do mean something. Special teams, goaltending, and defence have to be better entering the playoffs. Brodie and Samsonov were dreadful. Lybushkin and Gio horrible. The great play of the offence can’t be offset by the combination of brutal defence and goaltending.

Reactions: arso40

Mar 26, 2010
So ass kissers, What's the excuse tonight? How are you going to cover for ANOTHER pathetic Samsonov performance?

I can't wait for this piece of shit to be gone.

Hopefully the guy they bring in is real.
I agree 100%. He is the worst goalie in the league.

Reactions: Al14

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Yucky game. Not really the one you want with 4 left, you want to see dialled in. But whatever. Trap game trapped.

They are going to destroy Detroit Saturday, book it.

Reactions: bax

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Keefe gets exposed 2 periods into every game. No surprise he can't win a back-to-back against the same coach. A preview of the first round exit ahead. Biased refs, shit special teams, invisible Marner, no defensive structure and questionable goaltending. The usual.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
The only thing holding the leafs back is Keefe and that’s on Shanahan.

I get that you want your new gm to choose his own head coach but when you have seen enough of Keefe to know that he doesn’t have what it takes and still keep him after that’s on you.

Reactions: TMLife17

no2ninja

Oct 22, 2023
This coach is pissing me off. I wasn't quite there but, at this point I see just as many flaws in our coaching as I see in the team. The fish rots from the head, and you will see the flaws of the coach in the team.

You found a great line Matthews Domi and Bert! Great, but you broke Nylander, our most productive player this year. Why not get him back into the frey by putting him next to Marner, there is no better player you can put next to Mitch than Nylander! How can this stuborn mf not see that yet? You broke the player with your shuffling, now fix him, because he was working just fine... this shuffle crap with the lines, its mental. It takes a while for guys to adjust and I get shuffling lines to counter depending on what you see and what works.... but this guy is not doing that, its clearly not working for our most productive player Nylander and he still has not gotten the point that the tightest coupled pair is Nylander and Mitch! You improve Mitch and you improve Nylander, how can he not see this?

So I want the leafs to go far in the playoffs, but if they do, we may be stuck with this sub par coach, who is just too slow to act and can't see that he causes a lot of the problems on the ice. If we go far we will do so inspite of the coach. If we get bounced in the first series, it may be what is required to bring a much needed coaching change.

As for Samsanov... ok this is too much... you can't be a baby anymore. This is okay for rookies, but not okay for vets, vet goaltenders bring it every night, and double and triple on games that must be won. This guy has a softness setting that seems to come up once in a while and I am pulling my hair trying to figure out how the hell to avoid it, and also why the coach does not recognize it.... if 3 goals go in on 10 shots, with Sami, it means goal change NOW. I am not an NHL coach, but I know this by now, why does not our coach? He sees the same things we do.

Sami can't be fragile enough that his confy is going to go down due to the pull... and if it does, great we now know we have goaltender with a baby setting and we need move him and get someone that can fight through the bad nights. All the goaltenders I remember from the past let bad goals in, but it did not seem to always mean that they were going to be garbage for the entire night... this dude, 2-3 bad goals, and you need to yank him cause he just gets worse! He doesn't get tougher, he starts fretting and his precious confy goes down.... just pull is the only thing you can do at that point before the night is destroyed. 3 bad goals is max.

As for this night, knew it, their speed and talent, was too much for our D and ST. Add SPEED and our group is just not as cohesive as they usually are. DAMN THAT BITES. We need to get the magnifying glass, and see where the easiest breakdowns are to fix. Can't change the roster now, but you certain can tweek policy against fast teams. Do we have a coach that can do this? OR is the only thing this one knows how to do is put the most productive player into a slump?

Last edited:
Reactions: Niagara Bill

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Pelley is a sportsfan .as a CEO that knows sports and knows sports people worldwide ,frankly he may be the first since leiwieki that cares
And his personality, just by being transparent makes 1 think he ll be fair
But an embarrassing showing in the playoffs
I predict at least 3 major changes

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Horrible defence, poor PK and a very average game by Sammy aren’t going to add up to many wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad