Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 5 -1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
We had more expected goals nearly the whole game. The third period just made it much more lopsided for us.

Look at this chart:

View attachment 856410

This post is insane, and a textbook reason why free internet stats are to be taken with a grain of salt, like the gimmick they are.

The Leafs got destroyed 5-1 with real goals, not predicted ones based on bullshit.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Just so you guys are aware... those refs were our good draw. It only gets worse from here on out. Have fun.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
so the bar for tavares is now shots? You are talking about tavares like he's a 3rd line scrub. Moreover, all this shows is tavares is an ass finisher.

The expectation for robertson is to have high danger shots and slot shots. The expectation for tavares is to score some f***ing points
I'm not going to complain about any players getting lots of high danger shots....and won't care about them not finishing. At least they are finding ways to get to those areas and get the shots. Meanwhile, the 11 million linemate has just 5 total in the past 13 playoff games. Matthews had 3 high danger 5vs5 alone yesterday.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
View attachment 856762

Would be be better off having signed Frederik Andersen ?

I think we would be.

That's alot of dancing around just to end up worse.

Frederik Andersen was a BRICK WALL​

Considering Kyle Dubas has literally never made a good goaltending roster move in his entire NHL career as a GM, we can of course expect Frederik Andersen to be having a great career after Dubas made another blunder letting him walk for nothing,

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
When youre playing great hockey and your goalie broking it by giving up weak goal everytime. its a team killing.

hockey is a game of momemtum, if everytime leafs having momemtum they finally lost it because goalie didn't get the job done...

leafs was the best team to start the game, they did a mistake and Boston scored on 1st shot right after Swayman stole leafs twice.
Result boston took momemtum, came alive in that game and became the best team for the next 10

leafs survived with a lot of post, finished the period strong, started the 2nd extremely strong 1st 6 min... samsonov gave up a bad goal
result: leafs energy drastically drop and need a 10min again to bring it back. when they finally , Samsonov gave up an other weak goal and leaf energy became at 0 and thats where domi slash marchand to try to create something.

If exemple samsonov made the save on beecher or carlo or even on debrusk, leafs would still played with the same enrgy they was playing before the goal. Its how bad goaltending affecting EVERY PART of the game. If youre thinking samsonov didn't had any impact on leafs core , its not how hockey working!
In the same token, if the Leafs scored first, like AM, MM, JT and others, won't the momentum be with the Leafs.

Now I am not defending Sammy but our top guys just didn't score. The were not just scoreless but pointless.

At least this Game 1 was not one player or one thing that went wrong, A LOT went wrong. Sammy needed to be better, but so were AM, MM, JT and even Reilly.
You can take positive from AM's line and even Kampf's line after Game 1, but both JT and Holmberg lines were just really really bad. The only positives from those two lines were really Robbie seemed to be fearless, as he was getting crushed left, right and center. Knies showed he used his size but thats about it.
I don't blame Calle for having a horrible game but I do blame Keefe for using him too way too much esp on PP1.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I can't start to contemplate on what would convince a player to participate in 82 games in a season, play 4 consecutive completely irrelevant games, and then miss the most important game of the season.

Just does not compute.

IR Nylander > Playoff Mitch

It's fishy and I agree in hindsight we should rest him(instead of chasing 100points.. he could be pacing 100 and rested ! pacing is all that matters anyway), but resting Nylander in game 1 (historically strong game by Mitch) is better than Nylander playing like crap with a built-in excuse...

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I'm not going to complain about any players getting lots of high danger shots....and won't care about them not finishing. At least they are finding ways to get to those areas and get the shots. Meanwhile, the 11 million linemate has just 5 total in the past 13 playoff games. Matthews had 3 high danger 5vs5 alone yesterday.
Here is the thing though. JT looks like he plays in front of the net but he was often next to the goalie looking for slap pass instead of screening the goalie. Thats the diff between him and Bert, bc Bert actually screened the goalie. Thats why I don't understand why Keefe is putting JT on PP1.

Reactions: TMLife17

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Here is the thing though. JT looks like he plays in front of the net but he was often next to the goalie looking for slap pass instead of screening the goalie. Thats the diff between him and Bert, bc Bert actually screened the goalie. Thats why I don't understand why Keefe is putting JT on PP1.
Been saying that all season. He NEVER screens the goalie. Never. Always looking for a tip when we have 2 of the best snipers in the league.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Boston scored on their first shot within the first 5 minutes of the game.

Sure but it was also their first 2 on 0.

We have no D and all we can do is blame goalie. It's not Sammy's fault Bruins failed to send a couple of floaters from the blue line his way first...

We let our goalie dry and all you hear about is it was the first shot !!!

We send out low% shots and at the end of the game losers check Deserve O Meter craper to point at our shot totals vs save %. Joke

Reactions: egd27

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Been saying that all season. He NEVER screens the goalie. Never. Always looking for a tip when we have 2 of the best snipers in the league.
Thats also why he can't play with MM anymore, as MM just doesn't shoot enough. Unless the LW is Robbie, JT needs to play with Knies and McMann or McMann and Calle on the 3rd line.
This season JT really played his best when he was with two guys who plays a simple North South game while being on PP2.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Thats also why he can't play with MM anymore, as MM just doesn't shoot enough. Unless the LW is Robbie, JT needs to play with Knies and McMann or McMann and Calle on the 3rd line.
This season JT really played his best when he was with two guys who plays a simple North South game while being on PP2.
Keefe did exactly what I said he shouldn't from puck drop all the way through too. Let Marchand line play against the Auston line. Stupid useless coach has NO grasp on anything at this level and never has.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Sure but it was also their first 2 on 0.

We have no D and all we can do is blame goalie. It's not Sammy's fault Bruins failed to send a couple of floaters from the blue line his way first...

We let our goalie dry and all you hear about is it was the first shot !!!

We send out low% shots and at the end of the game losers check Deserve O Meter craper to point at our shot totals vs save %. Joke
I agree with that.
Beside Woll, don't you notice that Leafs goalie tend to let in first shot in a long time. It seemed like our goalies will often let in goals and killed the momentum but a lot of it had to do with our goalie just really had nothing to do(even skating behind the net to stop the puck) in long stretches and then all of a sudden it is either an odd man rush or a flurry of shots. This is not just a Sammy thing, but it goes back to Andersen too.

Keefe did exactly what I said he shouldn't from puck drop all the way through too. Let Marchand line play against the Auston line. Stupid useless coach has NO grasp on anything at this level and never has.
I am no Keefe defender but Bruins had last change.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Buddy watch the game go back and watch the highlights

Tavares isnt capable of finishing a chance set up by his wingers

Tavares cant generate a high danger chance for his wingers

Tavares cant generate high danger chances himself for himself.

He is useless. Not finishing is the worst attribute a player can have if they get fed multiple high danger chances. Tavares continously sucks ass at producing as a leaf come playoff time.

Last night they gave him 6 shots but none were super dangerous

Chance 1 ~ he redirected the puck towards the net from a marner pass to him which is slapped away to the boards by swayman. No screen, no puck elevation, this was considered a high danger chance just b/c it was from close to the net. It is a chance that ECHL goalies can save

Chance 2 - he takes a slap shot unscreened from beyond the top of faceoff circle. Shitty shot that gets considered partially dangerous as he was in traditional danger zone for elite shooters. He has no speed so he cant pull further and get a better shot

Chances 3 & 4 - He gets fed down low by Marner/Matthews on a 4 on 3 PP. Sucks at finishing and blows both teh chances

He is a 4-5M player. Horriboe defensively and offensively. Kills the production of each winger he plays with. A true cancer to the team

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
He made no attempt, just rolled the lines with the Bruins all night. Not a single attempt to get an advantage in that regard even on icings.
he did put Matthews, Tavares, and Marner together in the third for a bit, but I often wonder if he realized that never works lol

Reactions: TMLife17

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Thats true. Keefe just not a good coach and the his top guys also ain't helping him.
It's rough. I can't point to many people on this team I'd be like "ya we gotta keep that guy to build a winner". Rebuild the ENTIRE team around Matthews, Knies, McMann, Benoit, McCabe, Domi? So sad.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
1713733122876.png

Knies / Holmberg -2.
Rielly - 2

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Buddy watch the game go back and watch the highlights

Tavares isnt capable of finishing a chance set up by his wingers

Tavares cant generate a high danger chance for his wingers

Tavares cant generate high danger chances himself for himself.

He is useless. Not finishing is the worst attribute a player can have if they get fed multiple high danger chances. Tavares continously sucks ass at producing as a leaf come playoff time.

Last night they gave him 6 shots but none were super dangerous

Chance 1 ~ he redirected the puck towards the net from a marner pass to him which is slapped away to the boards by swayman. No screen, no puck elevation, this was considered a high danger chance just b/c it was from close to the net. It is a chance that ECHL goalies can save

Chance 2 - he takes a slap shot unscreened from beyond the top of faceoff circle. Shitty shot that gets considered partially dangerous as he was in traditional danger zone for elite shooters. He has no speed so he cant pull further and get a better shot

Chances 3 & 4 - He gets fed down low by Marner/Matthews on a 4 on 3 PP. Sucks at finishing and blows both teh chances

He is a 4-5M player. Horriboe defensively and offensively. Kills the production of each winger he plays with. A true cancer to the team
Same complaints were made about Tavares last season. From Sportsnet article:

And second, in terms of successful (as in, they landed on net) shots taken from the inner slot in the playoffs, John Tavares had twice as many as the next best Leafs player with 20 in just 11 games. That he only had four playoff goals is crazy; he’s the only guy who can really make a claim to have gotten “unlucky” with his post-season output (his secondary assists also dried up, which is partially bad luck).

This was this past season:
Toronto Maple Leafs: Forward John Tavares has the second-most high-danger shots on goal (155) this regular season behind Hyman.
and here's the data on Marner from last playoffs:

But still, everyone is shooting from farther way (measured in average feet from the net per shot).

Screenshot-2023-05-16-at-2.11.21-PM.png
Average shooting distance
Imagine tacking two, or four feet, on to every shot you take in the regular season and expecting the same results. Let alone nearly 10

Another way to look at this is by “portion of shots from the slot.” This is just compared to themselves -- are they getting the same quality looks they usually get per shot? The answer, outside of Matthews, is a pretty clear “no.”

Screenshot-2023-05-16-at-2.13.58-PM.png
Percentage of shots from the slot
Marner’s “portion of shots from the slot” percentage was last on the Leafs in the playoffs by over 10 per cent.
Michael Bunting, another important forward for them, saw his percentage drop from 63.5 per cent (second best in regular season) to 57.1 per cent.

It's also tough to make sense of Matthews' dried-up point totals, but what really dropped were his primary assists, which went from 1.16 (per 60) to 0.48. Hindsight is 20/20, but seeing how far Marner was living from the net in the above stats, and that Calle Jarnkrok was on Matthews' left side, maybe it would’ve been tough to tally many points on passes

Reactions: weems

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He made no attempt, just rolled the lines with the Bruins all night. Not a single attempt to get an advantage in that regard even on icings.

If he was trying hard to match lines then people would be complaining he wasn't letting them play... I don't think he can win with people here.

It's hard to line match when every whistle the other team gets to.

It's kind of predictable to say L2 is out next if L1 is out now and L3 just came off, and L4 came off before.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
In the same token, if the Leafs scored first, like AM, MM, JT and others, won't the momentum be with the Leafs.

Now I am not defending Sammy but our top guys just didn't score. The were not just scoreless but pointless.

At least this Game 1 was not one player or one thing that went wrong, A LOT went wrong. Sammy needed to be better, but so were AM, MM, JT and even Reilly.
You can take positive from AM's line and even Kampf's line after Game 1, but both JT and Holmberg lines were just really really bad. The only positives from those two lines were really Robbie seemed to be fearless, as he was getting crushed left, right and center. Knies showed he used his size but thats about it.
I don't blame Calle for having a horrible game but I do blame Keefe for using him too way too much esp on PP1.
leafs had the momemtum like what 2 min 1st 20 vs 18 and like 8 min in 40 vs 32 for Boston. when 2 period in a row the 1st shot goes in, thats hurt. Its also the timing of when those goal happened.

If it

number of goal allowed by samsoniv 1st 40 = 4
number of goal both team gm 1 carolina vs NYI = 3
number of goal on both team gm 1 florida vs tampa= 4

number of weak goal by samsonov 3 ( can say 2 if im generous with Samsonov)
number of weak goal allowed by 7 other goalie than samsonov until now = 2

its playoff hockey,

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If he was trying hard to match lines then people would be complaining he wasn't letting them play... I don't think he can win with people here.

It's hard to line match when every whistle the other team gets to.

It's kind of predictable to say L2 is out next if L1 is out now and L3 just came off, and L4 came off before.
If our top lines can't win their matchup we deserve to lose. We can't be scared of these matchups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad