Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 5 -1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
the only thing i said is when youre goalie giving weak goal boosting opposite team confidence and energy, it will always become harder to score than when opposing team in under pressure.

just imagine, if exemple samsonov keep it a 2-0 unstead of 4-0, just imagine the difference of impact kampf goal would had... 1 goal lead or 3 goal lead, not the same thing and youre not as confident with only 1 goal lead... anf maybe at the end we would saw the same result than game 3 vs tampa when samsonov made harder save than that to keep leafs in game.

and maybe unstead of being a zero, maybe one of matrhews marner jt rielly would score tying goal and game winning goal. Sometime the difference between be a zero or a hero is extremely small
Did Sammy let in 4 goals in a minute? Do you not see whats wrong with your logic?
There were plenty of time for AM, MM, JT, Reilly to score or create offence when the Leafs was down by ONE goal.

Like I said, Sammy or any goalies making saves or not have NO bearing on the team scoring on the other end. Both Jets and Avs players don't seem to find it hard to score after their goalies give up weak goals.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Leafs are such a tragedy. When they're skilled, they lost because they were bullied. When they're tough, they're losing because they're bullies.

Our PK has been our weakness all year and you won't win by taking penalties this series.

I have no idea what you talking about. We have Elite PK unicorn in Marner. We can out PK anyone !

It's worth mentioning that if the Leafs intend to upgrade their goaltending, it's not going to be via free agency. The best FA goalie this year is... Ilya Samsonov.

So we are overpaying Samsonov next?

We can trade for one. Hell Bruins have two starters...

Last edited:

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Did Sammy let in 4 goals in a minute? Do you not see whats wrong with your logic?
There were plenty of time for AM, MM, JT, Reilly to score or create offence when the Leafs was down by ONE goal.

Like I said, Sammy or any goalies making saves or not have NO bearing on the team scoring on the other end. Both Jets and Avs players don't seem to find it hard to score after their goalies give up weak goals.
Agreed. I really do think many don't watch any other team but the Leafs. Watching the other games so far you see how much a lot of the players lay it all on the line to win. You watch the Leaf players, and they look the same as they do during the regular season.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I have no idea what you talking about. We have Elite PK unicorn in Marner. We can out PK anyone !
We have a very good PK'er in Marner. We also have a coach who decided for more than half this season to use Kampf and Jarncock as his primary PK'ers and has only gotten back into using Marner consistently there recently. We also had a huge stretch where Marner was the #5 in PK ice time behind Jarncock, Kampf, Matthews and Nylander. NYLANDER.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Agreed. I really do think many don't watch any other team but the Leafs. Watching the other games so far you see how much a lot of the players lay it all on the line to win. You watch the Leaf players, and they look the same as they do during the regular season.
The Leafs have a unique problem; you notice the speed and attack game is mostly Western Conference teams. The Leafs are a West style team trying to play in the East, where a bunch of the teams look like the Boston Bruins; not fast, not skilled, but they use the old clutch-and-grab style of slowdown. Boston especially is almost anti-speed and anti-skill.

I suspect the Leafs would have had better playoff luck if they weren't stuck in a division with a bunch of plodder anti-speed teams. And that doesn't even go into the way the two teams are reffed, which makes a HUGE difference...

• Haha
Reactions: Beneven Stanciano

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
We have a very good PK'er in Marner. We also have a coach who decided for more than half this season to use Kampf and Jarncock as his primary PK'ers and has only gotten back into using Marner consistently there recently. We also had a huge stretch where Marner was the #5 in PK ice time behind Jarncock, Kampf, Matthews and Nylander. NYLANDER.

Marner was out with ankle, I blame Keefe for a lot of things, but no way he could send him out there :DD

Plus,on this team, you don't give Nylander credit for PK.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Oh boy, Winlander questionable for game 2 ?

On the bright side, going 2:0 just win back two at home to make it 2:2 happens all the time -each playoffs.

I'll start worrying game 3

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
The Leafs have a unique problem; you notice the speed and attack game is mostly Western Conference teams. The Leafs are a West style team trying to play in the East, where a bunch of the teams look like the Boston Bruins; not fast, not skilled, but they use the old clutch-and-grab style of slowdown. Boston especially is almost anti-speed and anti-skill.

I suspect the Leafs would have had better playoff luck if they weren't stuck in a division with a bunch of plodder anti-speed teams. And that doesn't even go into the way the two teams are reffed, which makes a HUGE difference...
They probably would do better. You have to deal with who they play. They need to build a team that can play that way. The only problem is the top guys don't have that next level to play through it.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Pretty much. Our top guys just couldn't do it when the going get tough.
I hope they will do it one day but I just think they are more great complimentary pieces than core pieces.
Hope they prove me wrong though.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

They probably would do better. You have to deal with who they play. They need to build a team that can play that way. The only problem is the top guys don't have that next level to play through it.

I think the problem with the Leafs is our top guys just don't deliver in the playoffs.
Personally, I think it might even be in their DNA that they can't do it.
I really hope I am wrong and they show up and change the narratives, but year after year, they always get outplayed by the other team despite being more talented on paper.
Keefe, goaltending and even refs are factors thats not helping but you can't have your top three most expensive players whom are also forwards disappear and scored a combine of ONE goal in the last 6 playoffs games.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

1- did that make both team better because they played a game with no defensive structure at all? name me the last team who made a long run playing that way ?

2- on 2 month where Samsonov was hot, how many time its happening leafs didn't had the best 1st period, samsonov did couple of save to keep the team in the game and leafs find the way to come back. But without those save, after 35 minutes this game was over.

if you want to win in playoff even team with biggest amount of $$$ going on foward, every team no exception need key save from their goalie at key time. When Pittsburgh won it Fleury/Murray was hot, they stole games/ series and made those save ... and pittsburgh was built the same way than leafs arw building riggt now!!! and crosby/Malkin are an amaizing player, they needed someone to get the job done behind. Do you ever read someone blaming crosby/ malkin because they only had 19/ 18 pts and 6 goal in 24 games?

if ypur goalie giving up 4 goal in playoff your chance to win in playoff are pretty low whatever whos playing in front!!!!

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
May be the NHL could make an all Canadian division and I'd bet they would have way more playoff success

• Haha
Reactions: hotpaws and ToneDog

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
1- did that make both team better because they played a game with no defensive structure at all? name me the last team who made a long run playing that way ?

2- on 2 month where Samsonov was hot, how many time its happening leafs didn't had the best 1st period, samsonov did couple of save to keep the team in the game and leafs find the way to come back. But without those save, after 35 minutes this game was over.

if you want to win in playoff even team with biggest amount of $$$ going on foward, every team no exception need key save from their goalie at key time. When Pittsburgh won it Fleury/Murray was hot, they stole games/ series and made those save ... and pittsburgh was built the same way than leafs arw building riggt now!!! and crosby/Malkin are an amaizing player, they needed someone to get the job done behind. Do you ever read someone blaming crosby/ malkin because they only had 19/ 18 pts and 6 goal in 24 games?

if ypur goalie giving up 4 goal in playoff your chance to win in playoff are pretty low whatever whos playing in front!!!!
Can you point to the part where I said, Sammy or any goalies giving up 4 goals is a good way to win in playoffs.
You are so tunnel vision to prove your point that you completely ignore what I have been saying.
I agree with you that Sammy or any goalies need to be better, but their plays have no bearing on AM scoring or MM creating offence or JT's footspeed. The fact that those three combine for ONE goal in the last 6 playoffs games is horrible.
You can't expect your goalie to have a shutout every game in the playoffs. If AM scored a goal last night and MM created offence which led to another goal....then it would be on Sammy for not making saves, but if the team combined for ONE goal in the whole game, don't point to goaltending as the reason they lost the game. Goaltending was part of the reason but so was our big boys not producing as well as Keefe galaxy brain the lineup and game plan, even the refs played a factor too. But it wasn't just Keefe playing Calle on PP1 that lost the game, or refs missed calls, Sammy's goaltending, or AM, MM and JT not scoring, it was all of that.

Reactions: theTTC

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
The Leafs got 1.

But once again it's the goalie's fault. It was Reimer's fault, then Freddie's fault, then Campbell's fault, now it's Sammy's fault.

Easy scapegoats for a team that refuses to play a structured, disciplined game of hockey.

i never taugh it was freddy fault, he was just in toronto at the bad time. Leafs was struggling to have defensive structure with lack of quality dman ( like had no choice to put Marincin/dermott on lineup)...+ never protected Andersen to keep him fresh for playoff. He was playing too much in regular season and hurt him in playoff... but health issues was coming with him and leafs needed to choose, they made the wrong choice so...they need to live with.

andersen had been best leafs goalies last 2 decade by a miles and the only real #1 goalie leafs had.

For the rest Reimer/ Campbell/ Samsonov for me they're are nothing else than a good back up in NHL

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
1713750284894.png

Great game.
Why do I have to watch Leaf games ?

• Love
Reactions: theTTC and ToneDog

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Can you point to the part where I said, Sammy or any goalies giving up 4 goals is a good way to win in playoffs.
You are so tunnel vision to prove your point that you completely ignore what I have been saying.
I agree with you that Sammy or any goalies need to be better, but their plays have no bearing on AM scoring or MM creating offence or JT's footspeed. The fact that those three combine for ONE goal in the last 6 playoffs games is horrible.
You can't expect your goalie to have a shutout every game in the playoffs. If AM scored a goal last night and MM created offence which led to another goal....then it would be on Sammy for not making saves, but if the team combined for ONE goal in the whole game, don't point to goaltending as the reason they lost the game. Goaltending was part of the reason but so was our big boys not producing as well as Keefe galaxy brain the lineup and game plan, even the refs played a factor too. But it wasn't just Keefe playing Calle on PP1 that lost the game, or refs missed calls, Sammy's goaltending, or AM, MM and JT not scoring, it was all of that.
1-after 25 min it was 2-0, when you giving up 3 goal in playoff over 80% of the time youre gonna lost.

2- youre not playing the same way at 0-0 or 1-0 than trailing 2-0. Leafs not playing the same way, Boston not playing with the same way and withbthe same mindset.

Did the foward could convert more of their scoring chance? yes but its not the main reason of this lost..

If goalie playing the same way, whatever how the rest of the team was playing, this series is over in 4 maybe 5 game max. Its impossible to think a team can win a serie with a goalie unable to make basic save in playoff and still think the guy in front will come and play with confidence when every shot is a risk.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Oh boy, Winlander questionable for game 2 ?

On the bright side, going 2:0 just win back two at home to make it 2:2 happens all the time -each playoffs.

I'll start worrying game 3
The oracles on this board say Leafs win next 4. No need to worry.

The second round has also been guaranteed.

Bet your house and your winnings.

• Haha
Reactions: theTTC

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
1-after 25 min it was 2-0, when you giving up 3 goal in playoff over 80% of the time youre gonna lost.

2- youre not playing the same way at 0-0 or 1-0 than trailing 2-0. Leafs not playing the same way, Boston not playing with the same way and withbthe same mindset.

Did the foward could convert more of their scoring chance? yes but its not the main reason of this lost..

If goalie playing the same way, whatever how the rest of the team was playing, this series is over in 4 maybe 5 game max. Its impossible to think a team can win a serie with a goalie unable to make basic save in playoff and still think the guy in front will come and play with confidence when every shot is a risk.
It is impossible for the Leafs to win a series if they can only score one goal per game.
Going to end this conversation now bc you just seem to want to have an outlet of your frustration instead of having a real discussion with fellow Leafs fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad