Proposal: LEAFS ideas

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Perhaps. I don't think the Leafs would pay that cost. If in fact, that is the actual price.
Plenty of other fish in the sea besides Rakell.

what would be real bad for you guys would be Edmonton getting him and seeing Edmonton in round 1 or 2. Holy high scoring series that would be.

Rakell with McDavid or Drai would be a problem for the opponent. That’s a metric ton of fire power on a PP or 5 vs 5.

a top six of McDavid, Drai, RNH, Yamamato, Rakell and Jesse P. Wow.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

what would be real bad for you guys would be Edmonton getting him and seeing Edmonton in round 1 or 2. Holy high scoring series that would be.

Rakell with McDavid or Drai would be a problem for the opponent. That’s a metric ton of fire power on a PP or 5 vs 5.

Yup, that would be one of the dangers.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
That 2021 1st just doesn’t carry much value. Weak draft and it’s hard to scout. Lots of magic bean picks in 2021 draft that will likely produce several bad picks early and later round gems.

2021 1st can’t be the base of a Rakell trade. Unless you’re adding a Sandin or equivalent prospect. Robertson I suppose.
Robertson you suppose? He's the Leafs best prospect so thats a major no. looks like Rakell isnt going to fit onto the Leafs anymore due to the asking price being unreasonably high

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

Ideally, the Ducks get those two in a bidding war and someone overpays for Rakell.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
A Guy like Nick Paul who is real cheap and signed for 2 cup runs is someone Toronto should go after.
Sure, but again with the price you set in your thread, it is unrealistic. Nick Paul is a good player, but not in the first and prospect range.

Reactions: NK94

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Not a fan.

So it's looking like Freddy might be on his way to IR until the playoffs. If that happens his Cap is not an issue and it makes sense to keep him for goalie depth come playoff time. Any depth goalie we add is getting exposed or cut loose (Campbell gets protected unless it's a serious upgrade which ain't happening) so spending much over a mid pick makes little sense. Anyone with term acquired (which Dubas has said he doesn't want this year) creates expansion problems.

Rakell while a good player is not really what we need, Granlund is much closer to that. So this proposal doesn't seem very practical as it ignores our needs and expansion situation.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I feel like there could be a good trade between the stars and leafs . Would Oleksiak be of interest ? I feel like he is just what the leafs need for a playoff run . 6’7’’ shutdown dman who can eat minutes .

Reactions: Leaftors

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I feel like there could be a good trade between the stars and leafs . Would Oleksiak be of interest ? I feel like he is just what the leafs need for a playoff run . 6’7’’ shutdown dman who can eat minutes .

of course he would, and thats the type of player you move Dermot to get, but, unless Dallas has officially given up, dont see them interested

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
of course he would, and thats the type of player you move Dermot to get, but, unless Dallas has officially given up, dont see them interested
With injuries piling up it’s not looking good for the stars , there is a good chance he will be available at the deadline . I think it will take a conditional 1st round pick though .

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Robertson you suppose? He's the Leafs best prospect so thats a major no. looks like Rakell isnt going to fit onto the Leafs anymore due to the asking price being unreasonably high
Or your Leaf fan expectations are unrealistic and low. Ducks can always just keep their top six forward on a good contract into the offseason. They aren’t the ones calling Dubas. He’d be calling them trying to improve his playoff roster.

the idea Dubas gets a great deal in that circumstance is laughable.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yup, that would be one of the dangers.
When I was thinking of teams that need Rakell, I looked for great Cs and holes at winger.

TML and the Oil jump right to mind. At $1.9mm AAV, either team could find a way to fit him. Which is why it’s going to cost a lot to acquire him. I’m certain Anaheim is getting calls if they’ll retain at 50% on an already low AAV for a player of his ilk.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
When I was thinking of teams that need Rakell, I looked for great Cs and holes at winger.

TML and the Oil jump right to mind. At $1.9mm AAV, either team could find a way to fit him. Which is why it’s going to cost a lot to acquire him. I’m certain Anaheim is getting calls if they’ll retain at 50% on an already low AAV for a player of his ilk.
Any team in a playoff spot can use rakell at 1.9 ... its more of a question of which teams have available assets for that kind of deal.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

No doubt. I hope a team out bids the Leafs at the prices mentioned earlier.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
No doubt. I hope a team out bids the Leafs at the prices mentioned earlier.
Unless it’s a Canadian team you face in the playoffs and a much better C than Anaheim has is feeding Rakell a bunch of apples.

which is exactly what Anaheim’s GM is telling anyone who calls him.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Unless it’s a Canadian team you face in the playoffs and a much better C than Anaheim has is feeding Rakell a bunch of apples.

But which cdn team needs him? Mtl, Calgary? Jets, Edmonton don’t need help scoring.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
But which cdn team needs him? Mtl, Calgary? Jets, Edmonton don’t need help scoring.
Calgary and Montreal could easily use him but they're not a Rakell away from turning their seasons around.

I don't want the Leafs to get Rakell. Not with Murray asking for the moon and stars in return.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

They might be. If we end up playing a team that pays for him, they will have a player to contend with for sure.

Jon77

Feb 1, 2021
--> These would all be based on the premise of shedding Andersen''s salary (in whatever way possible)
- yes I understand some of you feel that he has "negative value" - however, there are teams that would still want him and.or would take him and and then re-flip him elsewhere (especially if it could help a team stockpile assets(prospects and picks)

#1 - the leafs should be looking to trade Andersen to a team like Detroit, Buffalo, Columbus, San Jose, Nashville, Chicago, etc (teams "out of it" or "rebuilding")

- They should look to shed his 5 m cap hit and acquire another goalie with a lower cap hit in return
= Such as a Dubnyk, Ullmark, Korpisalo, Greiss, retained Rinne, retained Quick, Rittich, etc)

Rationale ------ A CAMPBELL + one of the above goalies + extra cap space (potentially 1-3m)
is far better than
Andersen and Campbell

potentially the leafs could have a tandem of Campbell and Dubnyk (ride the hot hand and platoon - it worked for Dallas) and be able to then add a guy like a Rakell or Savard or Foligno with relative ease

And yes, I understand that the leafs would have to give up assets and picks in order to do so - however, this is what trading is

I dont think it is unrealistic for a detroit to trade a Glendenning for an Engvall?

An Anaheim to trade Rakell (retained) for Amirov + pick(s)

Andersen + prospect/picks for one of the goalies listed above?

So the leafs have cap trouble and the fall guy is the goalie? Im not sure about all this. Anderson has been knocked for years for his inability to close big games...yet he did this with NO solid defense. Now that the D is better, people think trading him is the right thing? I agree something has got to give....but truthfully the problem lies in the 30+ million in contracts for 3 players. One of those contracts gives the leafs the room to find the missing pieces and be a contender like Tampa. No Stud D is the real issue in Toronto and getting rid of the number 1 goalie for the opportunity to play two backups doesnt make sense. BTW - before anderson and mathews got hurt...they were the best team in the league in points. Good luck TO.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Or your Leaf fan expectations are unrealistic and low. Ducks can always just keep their top six forward on a good contract into the offseason. They aren’t the ones calling Dubas. He’d be calling them trying to improve his playoff roster.

the idea Dubas gets a great deal in that circumstance is laughable.
my Leafs fan expectations are unrealistic.... Your asking for Nick Robertson+ for Rakell. heading into an expansion draft and Leafs are going to send their top top prospect. our prospect with the highest upside? for a guy we can't even protect and in the end could lose to Seattle and if they don't draft Rakell he will also be UFA in 1 more year... Im sorry but you sound like a fool making a statement like this....
And your right, they aren't the ones calling Leafs are. price is stupidly high and Leafs hang up deals dead
have a good day

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I think giving up on BRACCO would be a major mistake. Im down to figure Rakell out using the 2021 1st + whatever else we need not including our top prospects. after that if it doesnt get it done. we look else where.
Moving so much for Rakell is a majjjjjor mistake. I can just about guarantee Seattle would draft him from Toronto unless Leafs pay to protect him as well. which would just be adding to the cost of Rakell.
I fixed that for you.

I'm most surprised that Leaf fans are more concerned about cheap prospects and magic beans (draft picks) than winning a cup.
I guess when nothing has been won in your lifetime you don't know what you're missing.
Signed
58 year old Blackhawks fan here to tell you these last 5 years of sucking were completely worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad