Proposal: LEAFS ideas

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Det/NJ/Buff/SJ/Anah/Ott

are sellers right now

Right and that's not many. And it may not change all that much by the deadline either. Only one of those teams is Canadian. So for a Canadian team to deal with Det, NJ, Buff, SJ, and Anaheim, they'd have to a) beat the offers from the other teams, and b) wait two weeks. Do you think that waiting two weeks might make the Canadian teams reluctant to offer enough to beat other offers?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Right and that's not many. And it may not change all that much by the deadline either. Only one of those teams is Canadian. So for a Canadian team to deal with Det, NJ, Buff, SJ, and Anaheim, they'd have to a) beat the offers from the other teams, and b) wait two weeks. Do you think that waiting two weeks might make the Canadian teams reluctant to offer enough to beat other offers?
Naw,, i think Nashville will move Ekholm if they are not IN a PO slot by the TD,,They have too many D. They will lose a good D to Seattle ,trading Ekholm for solid assets fixs that and hope he goes back in 1.5 seasons. They have a very pragmatic GM.

The regular seasons games lost to quarantine only matter to those on the PO bubble.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
1st sure but not Amirov.
Theres away without losing a 1st and a top prospect and if not. im sure another team is willing to bite on such a high price tag
for a 50% retained Ehkolm? oh ya Amirov + 1rst all day long

2 POs +1 reg season of Ekholm at 1.8m per is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Reactions: Leaftors

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
If I’m Anaheim, I’d definitely ponder on an Amirov + 2022 1st unprotected (likely pick in the 20s) for Rakell.

A classic win now vs rebuild scenario. A solid A- prospect and late round one pick for a top 3 forward on your team (Ducks) but a second liner on a better team like TML with 1.5 years of term on a favorable contract.

Toronto gets two Cup runs out of Rakell before he bolts in free agency.

saw Rakell take a pass thru his legs in traffic vs the Avs the other night and thought. Wow, kid has some skill and soft hands.

I wouldnt trade either asset for Rakell ...I've never been a fan of his though, and stats wise, he had 2 30 goal seasons (4 and 5 seasons ago), otherwise he's a career 40 pointer.

bad asset management for Toronto. Leafs need their picks and young players to fill the gap(s) until the cap goes up.
Rakell isnt a rental, but, we cant afford him now unless we drop salary, and next season will cost us a major player to keep his salary on the books.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I wouldnt trade either asset for Rakell ...I've never been a fan of his though, and stats wise, he had 2 30 goal seasons (4 and 5 seasons ago), otherwise he's a career 40 pointer.

bad asset management for Toronto. Leafs need their picks and young players to fill the gap(s) until the cap goes up.
Rakell isnt a rental, but, we cant afford him now unless we drop salary, and next season will cost us a major player to keep his salary on the books.

I’ve got recency bias. I’ve watched Rakell play several times this season and even this week vs the Avs. He does flash some silky hands and high end skills.

Toronto has two 1st round 1st pick Cs in their top two lines. Guys that were actually worth the 1st round first pick used to select them. And guys like Marner that were worthy of a 5th overall pick. TML have a ton of talent in their top 6 and definitely down the middle.

Ducks don’t give Rakell the level of skill to work with. Zegras maybe gets there but he’s not there now. And Getzlaf is a 4th liner on a team like the Avs. He’s washed. Just shooting you straight on him.

I don’t know if Rakell is great or not. But if he scored 41 goals for Toronto next season, I wouldn’t say to myself, “where the heck did that come from”. Because I know where it came from.

He’s really skilled. High end skilled. I’ve seen it on display several times this season from an opponent’s lens.

the Avs don’t need a replacement for Rants or Burakovsky. Those two are lighting it up. Their needs are 3C and backup goalie. Rakell fills no need or hole. But in a vacuum would I trade the 2021 1st for Rakell retained? Oh hell Fing yes I would. I’d add to that.

Last edited:

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
It would be without retention. At a $1.9mm AAV, its fair value.
No it's really not though. Rakell doesn't exactly have alot of term left till UFA. and Leafs would have to protect him or Seattle could take him. I think you are over valuing him big time here. 1st + sure but 1st + top prospect not even close

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
for a 50% retained Ehkolm? oh ya Amirov + 1rst all day long

2 POs +1 reg season of Ekholm at 1.8m per is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
If thats the cost Leafs hang up the phone and look else where. not paying that high of a price tag for a year and a half of Ekholm.
You forget about the Expansion Draft coming up or something?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
If thats the cost Leafs hang up the phone and look else where. not paying that high of a price tag for a year and a half of Ekholm.
You forget about the Expansion Draft coming up or something?
Forgot about the draft? not at all

protect 4/4

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I liked it from Anaheim’s perspective for good value. But two playoff runs with Rakell at $1.9mm AAV won’t come cheap. Maybe change it to Amirov, a 3rd in 2021 and a 2nd in 2022. Gotta pay up for the retention on an already good contract. Or see if they want Liljegren instead of the picks. Rakell with 50% retention will cost to good assets. One will need to be really good.
i would probably do the highlighted deal. maybe there is a conditional pick that upgrades with playoff rounds won.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
i would probably do the highlighted deal. maybe there is a conditional pick that upgrades with playoff rounds won.
I think giving up on Amirov would be a major mistake. Im down to figure Rakell out using the 2021 1st + whatever else we need not including our top prospects. after that if it doesnt get it done. we look else where.
Moving so much for Rakell is a majjjjjor mistake. I can just about guarantee Seattle would draft him from Toronto unless Leafs pay to protect him as well. which would just be adding to the cost of Rakell.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Yeah I understand the 4/4. prob lose Holl then. I dont see how this is ideal. seems like the asking price is extremely high which is fine if this is what the ask is. leafs reject and look for plan b
Here's why,,i truly believe the path to the final 4 is there for the taking,,once in the final 4,,i believe 2 up grades and we stand as good a chance as any

Ekholm-Bogo makes our 3rd pair into a 2nd,,The other coach won't be able to target that pair when we are on the road.
Ekholm would be our #1 PK D
Ekholm fills any top 4 D injury very well ,,we went pretty flat when Muzz went down
He has played on the right side, just fine

Ekholm is a layer of flak for a D core trying to go deep ,,Dermott as your 1rst out of the press box just adds to this trade.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I think giving up on Amirov would be a major mistake. Im down to figure Rakell out using the 2021 1st + whatever else we need not including our top prospects. after that if it doesnt get it done. we look else where.
Moving so much for Rakell is a majjjjjor mistake. I can just about guarantee Seattle would draft him from Toronto unless Leafs pay to protect him as well. which would just be adding to the cost of Rakell.
we could work around the expansion when the time comes. if we did acquire him i'm sure he'd be protected.

i would preferably move draft picks but how much is enough. certainly starts with this years 1st.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Here's why,,i truly believe the path to the final 4 is there for the taking,,once in the final 4,,i believe 2 up grades and we stand as good a chance as any

Ekholm-Bogo makes our 3rd pair into a 2nd,,The other coach won't be able to target that pair when we are on the road.
Ekholm would be our #1 PK D
Ekholm fills any top 4 D injury very well ,,we went pretty flat when Muzz went down
He has played on the right side, just fine

Ekholm is a layer of flak for a D core trying to go deep ,,Dermott as your 1rst out of the press box just adds to this trade.
I have no problem with Ekholm coming to Toronto it would be amazing. I just dont think they should overpay for it. this year going into the expansion draft makes things more risky.
I think Leafs have abunch of good prospects that could be added along with the 2021 1st to figure it out.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Sure. Arimov and two 2nds (assuming Toronto makes the final four to convert the 2021 3rd into a 2nd) seems a reasonable deal for both teams. Toronto gets Rakell at 50% retention.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Sure. Arimov and two 2nds (assuming Toronto makes the final four to convert the 2021 3rd into a 2nd) seems a reasonable deal for both teams. Toronto gets Rakell at 50% retention.
I don't see the value in 2 picks that will be roughly a 20% chance to play over 100 NHL games. If I am moving a player of Rakell's proven ability I want better odds than that. Yes Amirov is in the proposal but I would want a 1st.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I don't see the value in 2 picks that will be roughly a 20% chance to play over 100 NHL games. If I am moving a player of Rakell's proven ability I want better odds than that. Yes Amirov is in the proposal but I would want a 1st.
Me too, but if you can’t get it, you compromise. You could also ask for Liljegren and maybe a 2022 3rd rounder.

Amirov is a given as the base in any deal.

2021 1st doesn’t have great value given it’s a weak draft that’s also hard as hell to scout. I’d want 2022 picks instead. Better draft. Easier to scout too.

Reactions: Boondock

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
That 2021 1st just doesn’t carry much value. Weak draft and it’s hard to scout. Lots of magic bean picks in 2021 draft that will likely produce several bad picks early and later round gems.

2021 1st can’t be the base of a Rakell trade. Unless you’re adding a Sandin or equivalent prospect. Robertson I suppose.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
That 2021 1st just doesn’t carry much value. Weak draft and it’s hard to scout. Lots of magic bean picks in 2021 draft that will likely produce several bad picks early and later round gems.

2021 1st can’t be the base of a Rakell trade. Unless you’re adding a Sandin or equivalent prospect. Robertson I suppose.
LOL We are not getting Rakall at that price.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
LOL We are not getting Rakall at that price.
With 50% retention, it will cost at least one major asset and a 2021 1st doesn’t qualify.

will cost one of Sandin, Amirov or Robertson plus something else from a lower tier.

Last edited:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
With 50% retention, it will cost at least one major asset and a 2021 1st doesn’t qualify.

will cost one of Sandin, Arimov or Robertson plus something else from a lower tier.
Perhaps. I don't think the Leafs would pay that cost. If in fact, that is the actual price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad