Proposal: LEAFS ideas

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
--> These would all be based on the premise of shedding Andersen''s salary (in whatever way possible)
- yes I understand some of you feel that he has "negative value" - however, there are teams that would still want him and.or would take him and and then re-flip him elsewhere (especially if it could help a team stockpile assets(prospects and picks)

#1 - the leafs should be looking to trade Andersen to a team like Detroit, Buffalo, Columbus, San Jose, Nashville, Chicago, etc (teams "out of it" or "rebuilding")

- They should look to shed his 5 m cap hit and acquire another goalie with a lower cap hit in return
= Such as a Dubnyk, Ullmark, Korpisalo, Greiss, retained Rinne, retained Quick, Rittich, etc)

Rationale ------ A CAMPBELL + one of the above goalies + extra cap space (potentially 1-3m)
is far better than
Andersen and Campbell

potentially the leafs could have a tandem of Campbell and Dubnyk (ride the hot hand and platoon - it worked for Dallas) and be able to then add a guy like a Rakell or Savard or Foligno with relative ease

And yes, I understand that the leafs would have to give up assets and picks in order to do so - however, this is what trading is

I dont think it is unrealistic for a detroit to trade a Glendenning for an Engvall?

An Anaheim to trade Rakell (retained) for Amirov + pick(s)

Andersen + prospect/picks for one of the goalies listed above?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
--> These would all be based on the premise of shedding Andersen''s salary (in whatever way possible)
- yes I understand some of you feel that he has "negative value" - however, there are teams that would still want him and.or would take him and and then re-flip him elsewhere (especially if it could help a team stockpile assets(prospects and picks)

#1 - the leafs should be looking to trade Andersen to a team like Detroit, Buffalo, Columbus, San Jose, Nashville, Chicago, etc (teams "out of it" or "rebuilding")

- They should look to shed his 5 m cap hit and acquire another goalie with a lower cap hit in return
= Such as a Dubnyk, Ullmark, Korpisalo, Greiss, retained Rinne, retained Quick, Rittich, etc)

Rationale ------ A CAMPBELL + one of the above goalies + extra cap space (potentially 1-3m)
is far better than
Andersen and Campbell

potentially the leafs could have a tandem of Campbell and Dubnyk (ride the hot hand and platoon - it worked for Dallas) and be able to then add a guy like a Rakell or Savard or Foligno with relative ease

And yes, I understand that the leafs would have to give up assets and picks in order to do so - however, this is what trading is

I dont think it is unrealistic for a detroit to trade a Glendenning for an Engvall?

If I’m Anaheim, I’d definitely ponder on an Amirov + 2022 1st unprotected (likely pick in the 20s) for Rakell.

A classic win now vs rebuild scenario. A solid A- prospect and late round one pick for a top 3 forward on your team (Ducks) but a second liner on a better team like TML with 1.5 years of term on a favorable contract.

Toronto gets two Cup runs out of Rakell before he bolts in free agency.

saw Rakell take a pass thru his legs in traffic vs the Avs the other night and thought. Wow, kid has some skill and soft hands.

Last edited:

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Anderson is only owed about 400k in real salary. For a small market team, this is a quick way to save a couple million in real dollars.

Take Freddy and a pick, ship out a 2-4 million salary cap contract (1.5 to 1.9 real dollars)

Reactions: Leaftors

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If I’m Anaheim, I’d definitely ponder on an Amirov + 2022 1st unprotected (likely pick in the 20s) for Rakell.

A classic win now vs rebuild scenario. A solid A- prospect and late round one pick for a top 3 forward on your team (Ducks) but a second liner on a better team like TML with 1.5 years of term on a favorable contract.

saw Rakell take a pass thru his legs in traffic vs the Avs the other night and thought. Wow, kid has some skill and soft hands.

he’s always had a rediculous amount of skill unfortunately he’s played in a more defensive system/ and or a shit hole. Would love to see him play with high skilled players tho... Mcdavid MacKinnon whoever

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Btw I think Anaheim trade is alright, prob favors Anaheim a bit.... I’ve discussed it in other threads instead of 1st make the 1st conditional based on rakells #s or how far Toronto goes... take a bit of risk out for them

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

is far better than
Andersen and Campbell

Kuemper would be another Goalie to inquire about. Ullmark and Kuemper would be my current top two guys.

Rakell trade makes some sense too, as does Glendenning.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
i'm in for rakell.

not sure i'm sold on glendening. Sounds like detroit fans think anything other than a second is underpaying - which any team that gives them that can have.

I think with freddy healthy and maybe some competition he might be able to give us games, but i'm not sure still. I have no confidence with him in the net, and neither does the team.

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Leafs aren’t looking for a player with term due to the upcoming expansion draft so I think rakell is out of the picture

if Campbell gets hurt again I’d be more comfortable having Anderson then another back up

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
This should be on the Leafs board rather than the OP posting the same thing week in, week out.

Also, Andersen, although struggling, is better than the available backups you have listed.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Leafs aren’t looking for a player with term due to the upcoming expansion draft so I think rakell is out of the picture

if Campbell gets hurt again I’d be more comfortable having Anderson then another back up

I think dubas is going to look at all his options.... I do think a ufa has its benefits... but you likely find your self in the same situation next deadline.

adding a guy like Rakell at 1.9 for this year and next gives you a lot of flexibility in your line up, and your off-season plan

people worried about potentially losing what holl or dermott in expansion draft?

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
I think dubas is going to look at all his options.... I do think a ufa has its benefits... but you likely find your self in the same situation next deadline.

adding a guy like Rakell at 1.9 for this year and next gives you a lot of flexibility in your line up, and your off-season plan

people worried about potentially losing what holl or dermott in expansion draft?

well you’d be losing one of them and then losing rakell to FA because we won’t have the cap to sign him, I’m also not a fan of the price, I can’t remember where I saw it but he has similar numbers (from 2018-2020) as johnsson who was traded for an AHL forward, not saying that’s what Rakell is worth but it’s too much imo, I suppose the retention plays a factor but still

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Another wing is a luxury, a minute munching shutdown/top PK RHD at 2 mil in Holl is a necessity for now.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
well you’d be losing one of them and then losing rakell to FA because we won’t have the cap to sign him, I’m also not a fan of the price, I can’t remember where I saw it but he has similar numbers (from 2018-2020) as johnsson who was traded for an AHL forward, not saying that’s what Rakell is worth but it’s too much imo, I suppose the retention plays a factor but still
You talking bout aj?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

is far better than
Andersen and Campbell

buffalo isn’t doing Andersen forUllmark

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

You say that like Holl is a whatever when he is a solid top 4 D. And while yes these are great reasons, the price has to make sense for the Leafs. Some of the prices I have seen make no sense. They would be paying like they are adding a star to the roster for a guy who hasn't produced at a first line rate in 2+ years.

So when these are laid out..

- Paying a big price to get him
- All risk is on the Leafs he can produce as he did a few seasons ago there.
- Losing a good player in expansion for doing it.

It makes not a lot of sense unless the price is lower than on here or Dubas and his scouts are 100% sure this is the guy who puts us over the top.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
You say that like Holl is a whatever when he is a solid top 4 D. And while yes these are great reasons, the price has to make sense for the Leafs. Some of the prices I have seen make no sense. They would be paying like they are adding a star to the roster for a guy who hasn't produced at a first line rate in 2+ years.

So when these are laid out..

- Paying a big price to get him
- All risk is on the Leafs he can produce as he did a few seasons ago there.
- Losing a good player in expansion for doing it.

It makes not a lot of sense unless the price is lower than on here or Dubas and his scouts are 100% sure this is the guy who puts us over the top.
Hence why I said dubas is going to look at all his options.

And I say it as if holl is more valuable to the leafs than he is to any other team, like I said I feel like Seattle would prefer dermott over holl and even on off chance they did prefer holl I don’t think it would cost a heck of a lot to get them to choose dermott

Rakell has paced for 50 points basically every year since first time he did it... despite Anaheim inability to score/power play or even have puck control. Anaheim has no top 6 centers, Rakell is essentially on an island there and still manages decent numbers. Also I don’t think amirov + 2nd gets you a star player.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Hence why I said dubas is going to look at all his options.

And I say it as if holl is more valuable to the leafs than he is to any other team, like I said I feel like Seattle would prefer dermott over holl and even on off chance they did prefer holl I don’t think it would cost a heck of a lot to get them to choose dermott

Rakell has paced for 50 points basically every year since first time he did it... despite Anaheim inability to score/power play or even have puck control. Anaheim has no top 6 centers, Rakell is essentially on an island there and still manages decent numbers.

Well they would be pretty dumb IMO because Holl is a much better player than Dermott and I assume they want to add guys in their primes and try to replicate the Vegas model of being instantly competitive. Holl is also one of our only physical D who will hit and he even had a fight the other day. He's a playoff type dman for us.

I don't see this happening.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Well they would be pretty dumb IMO because Holl is a much better player than Dermott and I assume they want to add guys in their primes and try to replicate the Vegas model of being instantly competitive. Holl is also one of our only physical D who will hit and he even had a fight the other day. He's a playoff type dman for us.

I don't see this happening.
He didn’t exactly have the best playoff last year... little premature to give him that label

and that’s assumption.... I think they still try to build a young core and I think dermott is a good player to see if he can turn into something good

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario

I wouldnt do Amirov and a 1st. especially the 2022 1st. but would be ok with doing him with an add.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I think our goalie situation gets addressed in the offseason, where we either get a long term guy or get a vet to split games with Campbell.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
He didn’t exactly have the best playoff last year... little premature to give him that label

and that’s assumption.... I think they still try to build a young core and I think dermott is a good player to see if he can turn into something good

We can agree to disagree. But the elephant in the room is still I don't buy why Rakell is worth so much. Poor team sure, but a lot of times the best guys generate at a good rate on bad teams because they get top minutes and PP time. Why are the Leafs paying the price of a top line winger for a guy who has been a 2nd line winger for 2 years? And why are the Leafs assuming all the risk that he will magically figure it out and become elite here to be worth what was paid?

The deal doesn't make sense unless he gets him for our first and a few B prospects.

Reactions: axlrose87

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
We can agree to disagree. But the elephant in the room is still I don't buy why Rakell is worth so much. Poor team sure, but a lot of times the best guys generate at a good rate on bad teams because they get top minutes and PP time. Why are the Leafs paying the price of a top line winger for a guy who has been a 2nd line winger for 2 years? And why are the Leafs assuming all the risk that he will magically figure it out and become elite here to be worth what was paid?

The deal doesn't make sense unless he gets him for our first and a few B prospects.
Which could be the case.... I think my suggestion takes away a bit of the risk.
And as far as 2nd line winger, I think he has shown he can produce more when playing with talented players.... the reason he isn’t a star player in this league is because he can’t turn a shitty line into a great line. But he can turn a good line into a great line

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com

Amirov + 1st for Rakell seems like over kill from the leafs

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes