Proposal: LEAFS ideas

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Which could be the case.... I think my suggestion takes away a bit of the risk.
And as far as 2nd line winger, I think he has shown he can produce more when playing with talented players.... the reason he isn’t a star player in this league is because he can’t turn a shitty line into a great line. But he can turn a good line into a great line
Or maybe he isn’t that great?
We can’t just assume he will start producing like a top line guy when he arrives.
Let’s not forget that he also gets top power play time. He would not get that on contending teams (ie: Toronto).
I’m not so sure his numbers change much.
Solid player though. Nowhere near worth what the rumoured price is.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Or maybe he isn’t that great?
We can’t just assume he will start producing like a top line guy when he arrives.
Let’s not forget that he also gets top power play time. He would not get that on contending teams (ie: Toronto).
I’m not so sure his numbers change much.
Solid player though. Nowhere near worth what the rumoured price is.

you do realize the ducks power play is actual dog shit, and I’m pretty sure there are players in the league with more power play goals than our whole team combined, Rakell doesn’t benefit at all from our power play.... and our top unit is half as good as your 2nd unit if that

Well that’s why I suggested making the pick 2nd rounder with conditions based on leafs playoff run or his production in the next season.

That way if he is just a 2nd line winger, leafs only lose the prospect + late 2nd.... if his points go up to first line player status/or leafs have a good playoff run... then ducks are rewarded. I don’t think the leafs care about the pick if he lights it up in Toronto , or they have an extended playoff race.

I checked draisitl and pavelski have more power play goals than the whole ducks team combined, matthews is 1 back

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
you do realize the ducks power play is actual dog shit, and I’m pretty sure there are players in the league with more power play goals than our whole team combined, Rakell doesn’t benefit at all from our power play.... and our top unit is half as good as your 2nd unit if that

Well that’s why I suggested making the pick 2nd rounder with conditions based on leafs playoff run or his production in the next season.

That way if he is just a 2nd line winger, leafs only lose the prospect + late 2nd.... if his points go up to first line player status/or leafs have a good playoff run... then ducks are rewarded. I don’t think the leafs care about the pick if he lights it up in Toronto , or they have an extended playoff race.

I checked draisitl and pavelski have more power play goals than the whole ducks team combined, matthews is 1 back
Ok, but have you asked yourself if players benefit from playing with him?
People always complain about their players not having good enough teammates. When looking to acquire top picks and prospects, the player needs to be more than just a complimentary player who is dependant on others. There are several very good complimentary players that are traded every year for much less.
In fact, I am guessing a guy palmieri gets traded for much less but might actually be the better player.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ok, but have you asked yourself if players benefit from playing with him?
People always complain about their players not having good enough teammates. When looking to acquire top picks and prospects, the player needs to be more than just a complimentary player who is dependant on others. There are several very good complimentary players that are traded every year for much less.
In fact, I am guessing a guy palmieri gets traded for much less but might actually be the better player.
Well I can’t predict what palmeiri goes for..... but even if we call palms and Rakell a wash or fairly close.... what do you imagine you trade for palmeiri this year

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Well I can’t predict what palmeiri goes for..... but even if we call palms and Rakell a wash or fairly close.... what do you imagine you trade for palmeiri this year
In recent years, guys like that have gone for a second round pick and a second tier prospect (2nd round value).
Or just two seconds.
If the leafs are trading for rakell and the ducks want Amirov (2020 15th overall pick who has had a solid year), that should be the entirety of the deal.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
In recent years, guys like that have gone for a second round pick and a second tier prospect (2nd round value).
Or just two seconds.
If the leafs are trading for rakell and the ducks want Amirov (2020 15th overall pick who has had a solid year), that should be the entirety of the deal.
The only problem with that is that the ducks would have to retain on Rakell... which adds value. I agree a 1st + amirov is too much as suggested by others .... I think amirov alone w/ Rakell at 50% is prob to low.

A lot also depends on where they see amirov value

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Rakell is at least as good as when the jets rented Hayes which cost us a 1st and Lemieux. Don’t know how just a 1st is good enough without a b prospect. Not to mention Rakell has more term and the retention. Also a regular draft year not this messed up one where 1st held more value.

Last edited:

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
There’s about three weeks until the deadline and three weeks after that.

At what point does it no longer make sense to trade with US based teams considering the two week quarantine?

Columbus is far from out of it, btw.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I wouldnt do Amirov and a 1st. especially the 2022 1st. but would be ok with doing him with an add.

I liked it from Anaheim’s perspective for good value. But two playoff runs with Rakell at $1.9mm AAV won’t come cheap. Maybe change it to Amirov, a 3rd in 2021 and a 2nd in 2022. Gotta pay up for the retention on an already good contract. Or see if they want Liljegren instead of the picks. Rakell with 50% retention will cost to good assets. One will need to be really good.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
What do you believe the cost for Ullmark would be?
The Sabres have nothing behind Ullmark. They can’t trade him unless they were given a real good reason. Leafs have another Tukka Rask to trade?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The Sabres have nothing behind Ullmark. They can’t trade him unless they were given a real good reason. Leafs have another Tukka Rask to trade?

He's a UFA anyway, and given what's going on there, he might be out the exit soon.

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
Ya Columbus is definitely out of it - at the very best they are 4th - which = a quick exit to Tampa

so.... they definitely arent buyers - but rather are sellers

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
There’s about three weeks until the deadline and three weeks after that.

At what point does it no longer make sense to trade with US based teams considering the two week quarantine?

Columbus is far from out of it, btw.
Not really a big worry,,the key for the adds is the POs,,1 week to play ,then it's go time

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Not really a big worry,,the key for the adds is the POs,,1 week to play ,then it's go time

Fair enough. I just see the current set up as being messy. In theory, Canadian teams would have to beat offers for players from American teams. American teams might offer more because there's no two week wait. Canadian teams might not want to give up as much without having a player for a longer duration. Yes, there's the playoffs but before that, there's also the jostling for position and trying to ensure you make the play offs.

Then there's also the issue of not enough separation between the teams. When the trade deadline happens, I question how many teams will be sellers (ie conceding that they won't make the playoffs).

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Fair enough. I just see the current set up as being messy. In theory, Canadian teams would have to beat offers for players from American teams. American teams might offer more because there's no two week wait. Canadian teams might not want to give up as much without having a player for a longer duration. Yes, there's the playoffs but before that, there's also the jostling for position and trying to ensure you make the play offs.

Then there's also the issue of not enough separation between the teams. When the trade deadline happens, I question how many teams will be sellers (ie conceding that they won't make the playoffs).
Det/NJ/Buff/SJ/Anah/Ott

are sellers right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad