Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Habs, HNIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Carey Price against the leafs on a Saturday. That’s like fighting superman on the surface of the sun for the Leafs. They have no reason to be cocky. The Habs and Price may have started poorly but it’s still very early.

Leafs have lost 14 straight games against Price and the Habs dating back years now.

This would be a good game to break that streak.

PS. Nothing is worse in Hockey than losing to Montreal on HNIC Saturday night and ruining a weekend in the process.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
In the midst of having scoring woes, the habs will eventually break out something like 8 goals. I hope it doesn't happen against us. Most of their shots have been from the outside.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Sloppy play by those two and Andersen unfortunatly couldnt bail them out.
I don't expect Andersen to outduel Price, so our team is going to have to limit egregious errors. Rosen isn't ready to do that so I hope Babcock makes an adjustment.
I also think Martin was quite bad (first Devil's goal against was his fault) and Leivo is chomping at the bit. hope he draws in

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Somewhat anxious about this coming game. Montreal is desperate and has been incredibly unlucky at scoring. Floodgates might open.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Leafs have lost 14 straight games against Price and the Habs dating back years now.

This would be a good game to break that streak.

PS. Nothing is worse in Hockey than losing to Montreal on HNIC Saturday night and ruining a weekend in the process.

True any loss against Montreal is pretty disappointing

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
This is even worse than last night. Our team should easily beat them, but there is always a BUT. If we dont learn how to play better defensively, even though Montreal cannot seem to score, we will lose again. Schneider was hot last night, and though Price has not been "price-like," as yet, all it takes is for him to turn it around against us. This game could easily be one of those 2-1 games. One of the only good things is, Montreal cannot really defend either. However they took it to Chicago the other night, and if it werent for Crawford, Montreal wins that game no question. I watched it and Montreal had no puck luck. Like us last night it couldve been 9-6 us, easily.

Several things need to happen for us here. First Andersen has to make a timely save, he did that against NY and Chicago, but didnt last night. He stops that break-away, or the 5-3 goal, we could be talking about a win. Yes Andersen is not all at fault here, most chances we all grade A, or he was screened, but you need to make that timely save. Obviously to further that, we need to play way better defensively. With that said, doing that would sacrifice some offense. As to say we may not score 7 goals, but if we are more defensively concerned 4 goals is not out of the realm of possibility. It is well known as well goalies take a bit to get into form. Mike eluded to this before yesterdays game. Price will find his groove, and I wouldnt be surprised if it is against us. This game has all the makings of us losing. Montreal cannot score right now, in the past has meant, against us the light it up. Price cannot make a half decent save, again this would happen against us. If things have changed for us, and our team has learnt anything from last year, we should see a far better effort all around (especially defensively). The further question is, does Rosen sit in favor or Marincin. Ya I know, who would of thought. But lets be honest, both swedes (d in general) looked good last night. You could further say they didnt look good either agains NY or Chicago (chicago the first period mostly as we dominated after that). I just feel we cannot keep playing with those rookies together. I also still think Borgman is the guy that stays up. He just needs to be put with a guy, who stays back, and defends well. Even he and Carrick have looked decent. Problem there is Carrick is a giveaway machine. The good is, it puts Borgman on his strong side.

Anyway I am cringing, yet looking forward to playing Montreal.Cringing, hoping that we learnt our lesson, but kind of worried they have not, since Babcock gave them several previous warnings, last night was the time we finally got beat for it. Looking forward to it, in the sense, I really hope and feel that our group learnt something last year, and therefore plays more sound. I mean a lot of goals is fun to watch, but I would take a 3-1 victory over a 4-3 loss. That is even if Montreal can score that many, but if our defense is that porous with Drouin, Patches, Plekanec...4 is quite possible.

Reactions: TheBigThree

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
the silver lining is that after the Devils game, our team may pay more attention to defence.
And Frederik needs to have a better game.
And we will still need 50 shots on Price.
But I am confident!!!! :nod:

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
The third pairing last night got absolutely burned causing Babcock to shuffle the defensive pairings.
Rosen and Borgman were so shell shocked the two new pairings didn't perform either.
Carrick' s experience is needed on that third pairing it seems.

The entire team had an off game, like all teams do.
Nothing to get too upset over.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Here is how the Canadiens shake down. Price is an all star, but they are young every where, and cannot really defend well. They also cannot score at the moment. The bad news for us is Montreal took it to Chicago, and Crawford stole that game for them. At one point the shots were 19-6 or something or other. If we do not learn how to defend, and that was us, the way Andersen has gotten no help in front with seeing pucks we are in for it. The silver lining is; what worked for Chicago was their speed. The more the game went on the better they got. Montreal is built on size, not speed (Bergevin messed up huge). Our speed alone, could win us this. Alas, that will not happen if we defend like we have in half our games. You give an NHL that many odd man rushes, and dont let your goalie see the puck you are screwed.

That all being said, I feel Marner looks like he is about to break out. Jvr is coming around as well. Very good sign indeed, as Nylander is somewhat snake bitten at the moment, last night, and against Chicago he could had several goals. His passes are getting intercepted as well. I am not worried, as he is too good not to shake this. But it is somewhat settling that JVR and Marner are showing life. First 2 games, Marner looked slow JVR wouldnt engage. Last 2 games they have. If it werent for Schenider last night that line could have scored 3 or 4 no problem. Marner still needs to learn to shoot more, that will come I think. Kadri is looking like a beast, he couldve had 2 last night. The problem I have is Marleau and Komarov. Marleau is adjusting so there not too worried. But Komarov is losing battles he should win. Last night that line had almost no zone time because of that. The only time they were all good together was first shift 3rd period, Kadri rang one of the post. Also strange, Moore has 2 goals in 2 games, but I think the new slashing rule has screwed him up, and he hasnt figured out how to defend with out slashing a guy. That is where Fehr is better, plus I find so far that Fehr gives us more offense on that line, and more importantly defense far better in his game thus far.

I think Fehr suits up again Saturday. I also think either Carrick is in if healthy, if not Martin may be back. Again I know it is rough to say but we cannot afford to have 2 rookies together. Rielly and Hainsey look on the verge of really good chemistry, Jake had one of his worst game as a leaf possibly but still our most skilled defender, and Zaits looks really good. So what option do we have? One is put a vet with Borgman of the above mentioned, and vet with Rosen. Or you sit Rosen and if Carrick is not healthy you put Borgman with him. As bad as Marincin is, for some reason he is good on the PK. That is the final nail in the coffin, we have to stop with the penalties. Last night our big guys couldnt get into the game for half the first half, we were in the box. The lines were all jumbled, and by the time we stopped with the penalties it was too late.

Finally with the new calls==In some ways I like the new slashing rule, it saves our skilled guys hands. However; I feel the referees are not using correct discretion. Both ways I have seen calls, and I have been said out loud "wow this is what the game is now." I get the two handed slash, or even a hard one hander, but last night, and every night for that matter, whether its us playing or any other NHL team I have been watching in disgust. A ton of penalties the zebras are calling are soft (in general). When it comes to the slashing it is even worse. One particular play last night, our D had his stick slashed out of his hands no call, but I believe it was Jake did the softest of soft, one handed tap that hit high on the guys pants (not even hands) bang penalty. It is really disgusting to see. I get it save the hands good, and it should be called. But use discretion. While I get they need to call it to show they wont back down, to call it every time is getting old real fast. NHL said only the hands, well problem is the game is fast, so sometimes the refs call it when it hits the guys pants up high. One final note. They call all of that, and the faceoff thing is getting dumb as well. But they dont call Crosby giving Holtby a head shot. Or whoever it was that ran Andersen and knocked the stick out of his hands, or when Borgman got blatantly tripped trying to exit the zone, almost costing us a goal. Again I am all for saving the hands, especially since we have a ton of skilled players who need them, but gimme a break. Again, if you call those, then call the real penalties. AH I missed one, Marner cross checked on the 5 on 3 with his back turned to the player almost head first into the boards, imagine he got hurt there...and no call. God so annoying.

Anyway hope our boys learnt there lesson.

GLG

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
big game, looks like the Habs age and inability to score is finally catching them. I'm looking forward to watching their decline, and hoping that Bergevin gets frantic about chasing contention while Price/Weber are still good, throwing more youth and futures at aging players

One word"Mete"

...what about Mete?

Reactions: PromisedLand

member 262271

Conventional wisdom says we should win this game, but who can predict hockey anyway? I certainly hope we just destroy them. GLG.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I'm ready.

Let's get our first win in 14 tries boys!

1qU2102.gif

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
big game, looks like the Habs age and inability to score is finally catching them. I'm looking forward to watching their decline, and hoping that Bergevin gets frantic about chasing contention while Price/Weber are still good, throwing more youth and futures at aging players

...what about Mete?

I have always liked Victor Mete - a good 2 way "D" and I really wanted him as our 4th round selection at 82nd but unfortunately Montreal drafted him at # 100

I believe he is playing on 1st "D"pairing for Montreal with Weber

Last edited:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I have always liked Victor Mete - a good 2 way "D" and I really wanted him as our 4th round selection at 82nd but unfortunately Montreal drafted him at # 100

I believe he is playing on 1st "D"pairing for Montreal with Weber

don't disagree, just don't know what Giacomo was trying to get across with what he was saying....like is he mentioning Mete as the reason the Habs are bad, or the reason they'll be good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad