Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Habs, HNIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yeah. That won't last, but I hope it remains the same for one more game.

it wont last but they are not a good offensive team.

JVR would be perfect for them, if they offered a stupid package to the leafs do you do it?
stupid like: 1st, top prospect (Poehling), top prospect (dman), +.

Even though you should always take a stupid package it would be helping a direct competition

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
it wont last but they are not a good offensive team.
I think they are a bit underrated actually, but that's a hard point to argue right now. But they have a lot of good forwards. Most of them are good two-way players, most of them can score some. They should be able to score by committee.

JVR would be perfect for them, if they offered a stupid package to the leafs do you do it?
Yeah, I do. I think you worry about yourself rather than your competition, and if it's the right move for us then it is.

I'm a bit torn on JVR right now. I'm very curious about how he would look with Nylander as center. I think that could hide one of his flaws (he can't get the puck out of his zone), which would leave him as a highly effective player who gets lazy. That's a huge asset, and if that asset wants to sign a team-friendly contract, that'll be hard to say no to. It would have to be a great contract, and it would have to mean Bozak and Komarov out (which I'm fine with), and it would have to mean we have a way to get rid of Marleau in his third year, otherwise we'll lose Gardiner.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
stupid like: 1st, top prospect (Poehling), top prospect (dman), +.

Hello, I'd like to order one Mete please.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think they are a bit underrated actually, but that's a hard point to argue right now. But they have a lot of good forwards. Most of them are good two-way players, most of them can score some. They should be able to score by committee.

Yeah, I do. I think you worry about yourself rather than your competition, and if it's the right move for us then it is.

I'm a bit torn on JVR right now. I'm very curious about how he would look with Nylander as center. I think that could hide one of his flaws (he can't get the puck out of his zone), which would leave him as a highly effective player who gets lazy. That's a huge asset, and if that asset wants to sign a team-friendly contract, that'll be hard to say no to. It would have to be a great contract, and it would have to mean Bozak and Komarov out (which I'm fine with), and it would have to mean we have a way to get rid of Marleau in his third year, otherwise we'll lose Gardiner.

I agree with the first part, not that they would offer all that anyway just an interesting hypothetical.

Im done with JVR, at any cost, for what he brings offensively he gives straight back to the opposition with his lazy efforts defensively similar with bozak only bozak at least tries he just isn't good at it

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
The Scabs right now are like a wounded animal. They will be pissed and dangerous. The Leafs should just come out banging the first few shifts, set the tone early.

5Zj7bAV.gif

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
And I don't blame you. He's the only player on this team that makes me actually angry at times.

he served his purpose in the last managements fruitless attempts to "go for it", we are passed that now and JVR moving forward is not a necessity.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The Scabs right now are like a wounded animal. They will be pissed and dangerous. The Leafs should just come out banging the first few shifts, set the tone early.

5Zj7bAV.gif

Agreed but I don't think we want Martin turning into one of the Hansons yet. He needs to save that for Dotchkin.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
This is a game we really, REALLY need to win.

To put the 14 game losing streak to bed; we need to see this team have a good bounce back from the NJ loss; Andersen needs to make a statement that we won't be worried about goaltending going forward; and I think the team and Babcock need to prove that this team can play a much better level of defence.

The only thing that scares me is a possible stellar performance by Price where they steal a game from us with over 50 shots . . . and he certainly has the talent to do that. But barring that, I think our Leafs should put this baby to bed early.

5-1 Leafs would be nice.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Need is a bit too strong IMO. I do want to win for a lot of reasons, too many to bother listing here.

Funny that I wrote we need to" right after you're comment - but yeah, I will respectfully disagree. A loss could potentially be very troubling and disturbing, both psychologically for this team, and for this fanbase for sure.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Funny that I wrote we need to" right after you're comment - but yeah, I will respectfully disagree. A loss could potentially be very troubling and disturbing, both psychologically for this team, and for this fanbase for sure.

Strongly disagree.

It's the 5th game of the season and we're 3-1. If a loss would cripple the players psychologically then we need new players. And TBH, the fragile mindset of this fanbase doesn't concern me the least bit.

I want to win this game very badly, I'm sure the players do as well. But if they work their butts off and lose, I can live with it. That happens often and is part of the game. However, if they play with the piss poor effort they gave against NJ, then I won't be happy at all. And if that's the way they play then that's what would be troubling or disturbing, not the fact that they lost.

Reactions: Johnny Steps

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
A loss could potentially be very troubling and disturbing, both psychologically for this team, and for this fanbase for sure.

I'm not too worried about the team if we lost this game. The Habs have plenty of good players and Carey Price is capable of winning games by himself. Plus Babcock is good at righting the ship and keeping the expectations reasonable. Everything is amplified at the beginning of the season since we're looking for trends, but the reality of losing a second game in a row is really not a big deal. After all, we did get our 6 points over 5 games already.

This fanbase on the other hand, will lose it's goddamn mind if we lose on Saturday. I will lose my goddamn mind if we lose on Saturday. I want us to bury them and chase Price in the first.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Strongly disagree.

It's the 5th game of the season and we're 3-1. If a loss would cripple the players psychologically then we need new players. And TBH, the fragile mindset of this fanbase doesn't concern me the least bit.

I want to win this game very badly, I'm sure the players do as well. But if they work their butts off and lose, I can live with it. That happens often and is part of the game. However, if they play with the piss poor effort they gave against NJ, then I won't be happy at all. And if that's the way they play then that's what would be troubling or disturbing, not the fact that they lost.

Who said cripple?
This isn't Days of Our Lives, dude . . . no one's in a melodrama here. This isn't an Italian opera.

BUT, a loss would be damaging psychologically, and a big step back from the euphoria and optimism to start this season. And although I am asking YOU to spare me the drama . . . I know there would be a lot on here acting exactly like that if we did lose.

And I don't think this fanbase is fragile at all - we're just very emotional and invested. It's a different mindset.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
While I don’t think a loss in game 5 of the season should send alarm bells to go off, I’m sick of losing to the scabs and hearing it from a couple buddies who like to rub it in.

I want a win against them dammit, and I want it to be a beat down that has them taking an early timeout to stop the beating and then Price being pulled after giving up 6.

A hatty by one of the big 3 would be icing on the cake

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Strongly disagree.

We have a really good team now if putting up 50 shots and 3 goals is a big disappointment. That would have been a huge moral victory a couple years ago

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The Bruins were a formidable foe and we broke through in a big way last season against them. Tomorrow's game isn't really make or break, but if we want to take another step forward, we can start by making a statement against the Habs tomorrow.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Any team can beat any team in any given night. I’m fine with a loss so long as we out work and out play them.

This. Just play hard and do your best, that's all I can ask for. We didn't do it Wednesday night, I will be very disappointed if the same thing happens tomorrow.

Who said cripple?
This isn't Days of Our Lives, dude . . . no one's in a melodrama here. This isn't an Italian opera.

BUT, a loss would be damaging psychologically, and a big step back from the euphoria and optimism to start this season. And although I am asking YOU to spare me the drama . . . I know there would be a lot on here acting exactly like that if we did lose.

And I don't think this fanbase is fragile at all - we're just very emotional and invested. It's a different mindset.

Um, here's your original post:

A loss could potentially be very troubling and disturbing, both psychologically for this team, and for this fanbase for sure.

And now you're accusing me of being melodramatic? Take a look in the mirror ... dude. :laugh:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We have a really good team now if putting up 50 shots and 3 goals is a big disappointment. That would have been a huge moral victory a couple years ago

Well, I don't know how good we are, we're a lot better now than we were a couple of years ago though, no doubt about it. That also means that expectations are higher as they should be. Babcock was unhappy with the effort Wednesday 50 shots or not and I agree with him. Come to play hard every night no matter who the opponent is, that should not be too much to ask for. Period.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Well, I don't know how good we are, we're a lot better now than we were a couple of years ago though, no doubt about it. That also means that expectations are higher as they should be. Babcock was unhappy with the effort Wednesday 50 shots or not and I agree with him. Come to play hard every night no matter who the opponent is, that should not be too much to ask for. Period.
Yeah I think Babcock is the best coach in the league at getting the most out of players. Not all of our games will be perfect but we'll never put up stinker after stinker like Buffalo or Montreal are for example. As for how good we are, we should be one of the top 10 teams this year from my standpoint

Cokenfries

Nov 10, 2014
Really?

He's got two goals sure, but the PK looks so much better with Fehr.

Agreed I want Moore to be no where near the team when Fehr is available. His line lost against Devils fourth making them look like offensive juggernauts.

Its time for Babs stop experimenting and give 4C role to Fehr.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
This. Just play hard and do your best, that's all I can ask for. We didn't do it Wednesday night, I will be very disappointed if the same thing happens tomorrow.

Um, here's your original post:

And now you're accusing me of being melodramatic? Take a look in the mirror ... dude. :laugh:

Well, I'm glad you liked my 'opera' comment. It was meant to be humorous, cool.
But what you bolded there . . . I really don't think that's melodramatic at all.

Price plays amazing, say Andersen lays an egg, and it's a 5-1 Habs scoreline . . . and yeah, exactly what is bolded there will be 100% true.

I don't think that's likely at all myself; but it's a possibility, however slight it may seem at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad