Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Habs, HNIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnceWasNot

Jul 28, 2009
Here is how the Canadiens shake down. Price is an all star, but they are young every where, and cannot really defend well. They also cannot score at the moment. The bad news for us is Montreal took it to Chicago, and Crawford stole that game for them. At one point the shots were 19-6 or something or other. If we do not learn how to defend, and that was us, the way Andersen has gotten no help in front with seeing pucks we are in for it.

The shot totals are deceptive. We generate lots of shots and plenty from high danger areas, but outside of Pacioretty, Lehkonen, and Galchenyuk (who has been inexplicably demoted to the 4th line to play with plugs), nobody on this team can finish. We're shooting at around 2% right now, which is obviously unsustainable and goals will start going in, but don't mistake the Habs for a decent offensive team. We may control the puck in your zone for long stretches thanks to Julien's possession system, but we're rarely a threat to score.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I've caught all of MTL's game this year when the Leafs + Habs weren't concurrently playing. Based on what I've seen, it will be a blow-out. The Habs back-end can barely move the puck past center ice, they can't score, and have zero creativity in the offensive zone. Price has looked very mediocre. Once we get the speed game going they are going to have a lot of trouble.

Though with Andersen's play lately and our bottom-pairing sieve with Carrick out, I wouldn't say it's a guarantee. I would be surprised if we don't get at least a loser point.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Agreed--Bergevin really screwed you guys, like Ferguson Jr. screwed us up. He traded away your skilled smaller players in favor of bigger brutes, and now look whoops ! The players to me that are dangerous on your team, Patches, Drouin, Plekanec and that Mete kid is good, Hudon looks like he may well be a scorer as well. As you say though, those kids need to finish and cannot yet. Poor Price, best NHL goalie, and in front of him they cannot score or defend. Alas with us we can score, but if we dont learn how to defend we are in trouble. Even college kids could score half the goals Andersen has allowed. We are leaving guys all alone infront, way too many odd man rushes, and penalties. Should be interesting. On paper, and skill we should murder you guys. But again we play that badly defensively you guys will finally put some in.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
So far the Hyman - Matthews - Nylander line has an expected goal differential of 3.07
the second best line in the league is the McDavid line at 1.84
absolutely insane how good those 3 have all been

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
So far the Hyman - Matthews - Nylander line has an expected goal differential of 3.07
the second best line in the league is the McDavid line at 1.84
absolutely insane how good those 3 have all been

What's the actual goal differential? Or does that matter?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It would be a great time for Andersen and the defence core as a whole to put it together for 60 minutes.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
It would be something else if we beat the Habs in a shootout. I'll take a blowout win though, thanks.

The Habs have like a 2% team shooting percentage. Hopefully, that doesn't change against us.

Reactions: MJ65

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
Habs are going to come out desperate I think. A little early but just a feeling. I think whoever wins this it's going to be one of those 3 point games.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Long shot but does anyone remember a song that would get posted in all the leafs post game threads? It was like a east coast folk song and I can't find it in any of the recent threads.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Even though the 14 game losing streak has been one of the best things to ever happen to this franchise, hopefully it ends Saturday though.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Even though the 14 game losing streak has been one of the best things to ever happen to this franchise, hopefully it ends Saturday though.
"One of the best things ever to happen".....what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->