OT: Leafs Forum OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
This is all in the name of a vacation to the west in July, and a brand new truck in July as well, so it's a necessity, but man, why aren't there easier ways to make bank? :laugh:

because robbing banks is illegal in this country, friend :laugh:

i hear you. i want to go to this big festival in October i have to put away every penny to really maximize the experience. i don't really get any chances for OT (unless i pick up on-call shifts and i don't think i can being under contract. lol though it would be nice.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
What kind of truck are you eying?

2018 Canyon. Crimson Red. Chrome. 8 speed, 6cyl, 4WD. Loaded.

I don't need a full size truck, even though I love Sierras and Silverados. I live in a little farmer-*** town, and grew up in the sticks. My roots were coming for me someday :laugh:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Earlier today I was at Loblaws and noticed they were selling Chili's Queso Bites. I'm a fan of spicy foods and can't wait to try them. For anyone interested here is a picture of the bag they come in.

999999-717854570824.jpg

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So many renovations :laugh:

Pretty much spent the past 3 hours just sanding. Dust has settled, so the area is being cleaned now, and then it's time to stain the railings with an espresso and paint the spindles white.

Should look awesome.

We just had the actual stairs done, and I just removed a bannister a few days ago. Removed some railings going to the basement (there's still one, due to safety, but the others were pointless).

Once this is all done, the next thing to do will be some minor projects (painting some doors/trimming). Next major project is to redo all the hardwood and trimming on the main floor, but that probably won't be until August/September.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Just power washed both my decks, didn't expect to take so long.. Time to sand tomorrow then prep to paint both my front and my back deck.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Next major project is to redo all the hardwood and trimming on the main floor, but that probably won't be until August/September.

Are you doing it yourself or hiring? IMO anyone even a bit handy can properly lay hardwood

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
Had a plumber come in today to look at the pipes. Lemme just say this for all you high schoolers, trades make a lot of money. Uni is way overrated/saturated these days

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Had a plumber come in today to look at the pipes. Lemme just say this for all you high schoolers, trades make a lot of money. Uni is way overrated/saturated these days

It doesn't have to be a mutually exclusive equation does it? One could get a degree and then learn a trade (or vice versa).

I think if one thinks of post secondary as "get a degree/diploma then get paid" type experience... then that saturated market thought may apply.

But if one thinks of University as a place to develop critical thinking and learn about the world, then it's a different benefit.

I graduated a couple decades ago but even then, job recruiters on campus would highlight that graduates didn't really have a skill. They didn't care. They would take them into training programs that were company specific. Their key was that you showed that you could commit to a long term program and balance life. Whether that was the banking industry or a big company like P&G, they all had their induction/management training programs.

In fact today, if I see someone applying for a sales job, I'm more likely to want to interview them if they have worked for a tough cold calling company like Xerox than the University they went to. I will tell you that where they did their undergrad makes 0% difference for me.

In this day and age of participation ribbons and stories of parents going to job interviews with their kids, I'm not so sure that' committing to something and balancing it is something we should take for granted.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
It doesn't have to be a mutually exclusive equation does it? One could get a degree and then learn a trade (or vice versa).

I think if one thinks of post secondary as "get a degree/diploma then get paid" type experience... then that saturated market thought may apply.

But if one thinks of University as a place to develop critical thinking and learn about the world, then it's a different benefit.

I graduated a couple decades ago but even then, job recruiters on campus would highlight that graduates didn't really have a skill. They didn't care. They would take them into training programs that were company specific. Their key was that you showed that you could commit to a long term program and balance life. Whether that was the banking industry or a big company like P&G, they all had their induction/management training programs.

In fact today, if I see someone applying for a sales job, I'm more likely to want to interview them if they have worked for a tough cold calling company like Xerox than the University they went to. I will tell you that where they did their undergrad makes 0% difference for me.

In this day and age of participation ribbons and stories of parents going to job interviews with their kids, I'm not so sure that' committing to something and balancing it is something we should take for granted.

wait what?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
2018 Canyon. Crimson Red. Chrome. 8 speed, 6cyl, 4WD. Loaded.

I don't need a full size truck, even though I love Sierras and Silverados. I live in a little farmer-*** town, and grew up in the sticks. My roots were coming for me someday :laugh:

Nice. I own a Canyon myself actually :laugh: didn't need the full size either.

It's a 2016, black, SLE with the All Terrain package with a few extras

I love it... although the emerald green colour was preferred it would have had to gotten factory ordered

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Every example I've heard of this happening has happened on the parents' insistence rather than the child's.

Really good way to make sure the employer picks someone else. If I'm hiring people and their parents show up with them, I'm probably not going to give them too much consideration.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Just my luck as the weather gets great outside I end up with a cold. My nose feels all stuffed up and now I can not stop sneezing. My hope is that today was the worst of it for it to all come out and tomorrow I will feel a little better.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
So are you guys more of a winter person or a summer person? I feel like fall is the only time of year where I'm not miserable for some reason or another. I get excited when summer is coming around but the first hot day usually has be wishing for snow again hah.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So are you guys more of a winter person or a summer person? I feel like fall is the only time of year where I'm not miserable for some reason or another. I get excited when summer is coming around but the first hot day usually has be wishing for snow again hah.
I'm a little bit of both because the two times a year I go on vacation is during the months of August and December.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Oh look, another ignorant rant from the older generation. The trades right out of high school is the way to go right now. Doing a uni degree first just for the sake of having it is a waste of time and money. Right now University degrees are a waste outside of engineering, nursing and professional schools IMHO.

Oh myself.

Only got someone for the stairs, because they can be a bit tricky.

Good man. Home renovations are my favourite.

Love winter through spring and all of summer. Fall is the absolutely worst season. Allergies (ya I'm weird), start of cold weather, it starts getting dark earlier, generally muddy and leaves everywhere.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

Im a plumber myself, 22 years old.. Its not all what its cracked out to be.. Depends really what type of plumbing you do.. ICI (2-3 story buildings) High Rise (self explanatory) or residential. Although when you get fully licensed and you start to get side jobs thats when you can start to roll in the money, but if you do that route your going to be in for some long weeks.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I'm a little bit of both because the two times a year I go on vacation is during the months of August and December.

I absolutely despise winter and everything associated with it except hockey, Christmas and football. Summer is the best.

On a side note, I'm really enjoying Malibu by Miley Cyrus.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Yeah if you own your own successful company...

Theres plenty of plumbers making not that great pay working for some larger company.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Yeah if you own your own successful company...

Theres plenty of plumbers making not that great pay working for some larger company.

What? :laugh::laugh:

During the first few years of an apprentice, plumbers usually make between 15-20k
It can go up to about 100-200k a year dude, do your research..

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
I'll be heading to Pittsburgh in October for a conference. Free flights and hotel. Hoping to catch Penguins and Steelers games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad