GDT: Leafs @ Capitals - 3/20/24 7:30 EST on SN - Here we go again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Hopefully playing Ovechkin will stir something random in him to please compete at a high level.
That's what I was thinking too. They're always going to be compared. Be nice if they put on a show.

I don't know if he's actually dialing it back until the playoffs but it's nicer to think than him just not being as good as we thought.

Screenshot_2024-03-20-14-23-32~2.png

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Doom nation likely to be shocked, when the Leafs actually play a good game tonight, raising our expectations for the next game, only to be disappointed again.
Truth. I kinda took a look at the final 19 games starting with the MTL game and mapped out what I expect to happen. I had them at 10-9. With the OT loss to CAR they are already ahead of my predicted pace lol.

I think after a win tonight, they hit a three game slide... or could and no one would be shocked.

Maybe they decide to get serious for a bit and go on a positive run?!

They better show up at home against Edmonton.
I bet they do, probably play decent but still lose on some McDirtyness.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Someone needs to pull Auston aside and light a fire under his ass psychologically. Ever since he reached the mid 50s in goals he's been on auto pilot seemingly not caring perhaps to save his mojo for the playoffs. I wanted him to reach 70 because that's a rare club.
He seems to do really well with Mitch or Willy on his line, but not so much without either.

With JT relegated to 3C Willy is even more the driver of the second line, so with Mitch out Matty is on his own, until/unless he can find chemistry with Keefe's constantly changing wingers.

To an extent that's the problem with all three lines. Part can be attributed to injuries, illness, and new players, but I don't think Keefe is helping.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
He seems to do really well with Mitch or Willy on his line, but not so much without either.

With JT relegated to 3C Willy is even more the driver of the second line, so with Mitch out Matty is on his own, until/unless he can find chemistry with Keefe's constantly changing wingers.

To an extent that's the problem with all three lines. Part can be attributed to injuries, illness, and new players, but I don't think Keefe is helping.
Yeah exactly man. His line has been a revolving door of players all season. As good as a star player can be , chemistry always helps. No one can do it on their own save for a few generational talents across the league and every one of them has a Robin. McDavid has Drai, MacKinnon has Rantanen , Kucherov has Point. Somehow Matthews gets singled out for relying on Marner. I think it's just been a chaotic year and he's capable of keeping up with the big boys in the top 10.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Yeah exactly man. His line has been a revolving door of players all season. As good as a star player can be , chemistry always helps. No one can do it on their own save for a few generational talents across the league and every one of them has a Robin. McDavid has Drai, MacKinnon has Rantanen , Kucherov has Point. Somehow Matthews gets singled out for relying on Marner. I think it's just been a chaotic year and he's capable of keeping up with the big boys in the top 10.
Mcdavid plays with Hyman and RNH not Draisaitl.

Kucherov makes point a star player, he’s a 70 point player without him

Panarin plays with ???

As for mackinnon, yes he plays with rantanen, and he’s outpacing rantanen by 30 points. Matthews outpaces Marner by 10 points max

Moreover, Mackinnon has showed that they can play without their “robins”. Mack was a top 3 hart finalist when rantanen missed half the year due to injury. As for kucherov, just look at points stats the years kucherov say on LTIR

Matthews has yet to show he can elevate his play without Marner. He’s getting outpaced by a teammate who’s spent a majority of his time playing with the current talent Matthews has.

His effort, skill, physicality just haven’t been there the last month.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Wonder which defenseman Keefe will have Brodie drag down today.

Advanced stats don't always te the whole story, but every metric and the eye test confirm what a joke it is this guy isn't down in the lineup/pressbox.

He was the leading D man in icetime until the last three minutes when we pulled the goalie. Keefe is unreal.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
The Leafs need to play a full game, last night they showed up in the 3rd period. Let's hope that they start on time tonight.
That’s the worst lesson that’s ingrained in the core I think. Not that they know they can beat everyone,which I believe they think (and I agree) but that they think they can do it on a whim - which they can’t - against good teams. Last night, six posts makes them think they just got lucked. As in, coulda won despite being outclassed. Even the first Boston game …bunch of posts too….where they can feel ‘coulda won even when outclassed’. Winning lots if games against lesser teams with 10-15 incredible minutes.
Bad learning I think.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I don’t follow any stat that start with expected something but I am seeing a common denominator Lol
Same but that stat also lines up with the eye test for the most part

Rielly has looked much better without brodie alot. Take last night, they both screw up but how can brodie not take a puck off his skate and onto his stick, and how does he not see that his partner isn't behind the net and he should just send it up ice

McCabe has looked most comfortable with Benoit AINEC. It theoretically would be a good shutdown pairing, but brodie can't make up for when McCabe rushes in with the offence or makes a mistake like benoit does

I'm surprised liljegren is better without brodie, considering he had some of his strongest games with brodie back when rielly was suspended but that pairing felt off from the colorado game on

Brodie just doesn't seem to have it anymore. Any defencemen not name rielly, McCabe, and maybe liljegren should be rotated in and out of the lineup

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Back home from Florida!!

17 days in Miami without the Leafs was both awesome and dreadful.

I did manage to get to the Bolts/Panthers game. What an experience that was!

By reading the post games, it seems I didn't miss much. Hope they right the ship tonight!

Reactions: aingefan

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Timmins is going to be pretty rusty, likely getting low end minutes. But Brodie definitely earned his sitting... he's been in the clouds for awhile. The fact that Keefe insisted on giving Brodie so many minutes game in and out is perplexing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad