Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Cade Webber || Signed to ELC (now official)

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
So that sixth round pick is in the Hail Mary to Europe mold, which I prefer incidentally.

I don't believe in the "let's outsmart an organization that's been adept at drafting defencemen" model of trade when they're willing to let a defenseman they drafted in the 4th go for a 6th.

Curious...but why wouldn't we use a 6th on DeAngelo instead?

DeAngelo is 'problematic'.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Seems like a decent move if we can sign him. Have to imagine Brad accounted for that .... Right?

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Leafs as usual do nothing while other contenders acquire real players because they haven't allowed themselves to be handicapped by paying inflated contracts to soft forwards that can't or won't do what it takes in the playoffs.

YAWN.
This is the first year in a while the Leafs didn't make a splash. Last year we got Ryan O'Reilly, McCabe, Acciari, Lafferty and Schenn. That's a big time TDL.

I think Treliving and Co. looked at this year's roster and said "this is probably not our year". The cost of acquiring the players we need vs using Free Agency and going all in for a run at it this year likely wasn't worth it. They still gave the lineup a bit of a boost with the 3 guys they traded for. They're all role players who make an impact on this roster. So it's not like they did nothing.

With Brodie (5m), Bertuzzi (5.5m), Domi (3m), Klingberg (4.15m), Samsonov (3.55m) amongst others coming off the books Tre will have some decisions to make an an opportunity to really put his stamp on the team.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
This is the first year in a while the Leafs didn't make a splash. Last year we got Ryan O'Reilly, McCabe, Acciari, Lafferty and Schenn. That's a big time TDL.

I think Treliving and Co. looked at this year's roster and said "this is probably not our year". The cost of acquiring the players we need vs using Free Agency and going all in for a run at it this year likely wasn't worth it. They still gave the lineup a bit of a boost with the 3 guys they traded for. They're all role players who make an impact on this roster. So it's not like they did nothing.

With Brodie (5m), Bertuzzi (5.5m), Domi (3m), Klingberg (4.15m), Samsonov (3.55m) amongst others coming off the books Tre will have some decisions to make an an opportunity to really put his stamp on the team.

There are more rhd on the ufa market this is year than maybe ever in recent memory?

Tanev
Roy
Montour
Hakanpa
Demelo.
Pesce.

Get 2 of those and we got a stew going

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
1710189914980.png

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
One thing about 6th rounders is they generally take forever to develop, if ever. This guy may be ready to help the Marlies next year and we need young defensemen in our system.

3/5 of these are guys that Tre signed
If the leafs do badly in the playoffs and Tre survives the axe he will be likely be given carte blanche to do whatever he thinks is needed.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Webber's rights expire in August.

There's a pretty good chance he goes to free agency and chooses his own destination. Boston? Just a stab in the dark.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
I have my doubts they would trade for him if they didn’t have a reason to think they will be able to sign him.
True but, sometimes things change over time.

I'm also thinking that the Leafs think they can sign him.

The gamble is only a low draft pick that would likely never even make the AHL. So IMO it's well worth the risk.

Reactions: Ciao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad