Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Cade Webber || Signed to ELC (now official)

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
IMG_1608.gif

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
So the odds of getting a bottom pairing defenseman out of the 6th round are low

Carolina probably cannot get him signed and he's fully developed for the most part.

We just traded what, 4 picks for Lybushkin and Edmundson? If he pans out, well worth the 6th round pick.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
So the odds of getting a bottom pairing defenseman out of the 6th round are low

Carolina probably cannot get him signed and he's fully developed for the most part.

We just traded what, 4 picks for Lybushkin and Edmundson? If he pans out, well worth the 6th round pick.
Worth a shot.

We're giving away quite a few draft picks but maybe this summer depending on how the playoffs go... they may be recouping a lot of picks with some trades. Things can change quickly.

Reactions: OddyOh and Metroid

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Good Lord.

Never could I have imagined this. Treliving is stuffing the bottom of the lineup like the posterior of a turkey. There's more fat on the roster than there is on my ass.

Oink, oink, oink.

I'm not sure what the thinking here is. Was this really a move that needed to be done at the deadline? I get wanting to keep an eye on the future.

But this guy wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.

His only claim to fame is being the size of a tree. But let's face it, Parayko he ain't. Oh well, at least the Leafs have a monopoly on bottom of the roster defensemen I guess.

Thank God for that.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Why today. We could have traded this 6th rounder any day...I hate this poop.
We are trying to win a cup. Looks like Tre called and said I have a 6th to trade, what can I get. Sounds like 4 yr old in the corner store. If we have scouts wasting their time on these types no flipping wonder it's 56 yrs.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

September 6, 2022, 11:00 am EDT

Cade Webber, LHD

Projection: not likely

I believe that Webber is the tallest player in the Hurricanes’ pipeline, standing roughly at 6’6”. Most players that size are poor skaters, but Webber’s skating is actually quite good. He possesses good mechanics and a clean, quick stride that allows him to cover large distances quickly. He’s a great defensive defender because of his skating and reach, too. Pretty much any area in the defensive zone is a part of Webber’s coverage because if he can’t reach it with his stick, he’s able to get there in a stride or two, rendering a play null. Webber can anticipate where a play is going and react accordingly, shutting down a lot of offense in the process.

I don’t see Webber ever being a strong offensive player, and his lack of transitional skill makes me skeptical of his chances at playing NHL games.
I haven’t seen a lot of improvements since he came to Boston University, largely due to the fact that he has mostly played in a third pairing role for the Terriers. While his defensive game has been good, he hasn’t carried the puck in transition or been able to make an impact offensively. One encouraging thing about Webber is that he was in the lineup on a regular basis as a sophomore this past season, whereas he was in and out of the lineup during his freshman year. My hope is that Webber can make more of an impact offensively during his junior year. I’m not asking for him to be a power play quarterback, but making plays off of the rush and making more than simple passes would be a nice change.

Webber’s hockey sense is a bit underrated, at least from my viewings of the player. His ability to read the play and react in order to make a stop defensively is truly impressive. Seeing a step or two ahead of the competition is going to help Webber make his presence known on the ice, even if the fans don’t see it. Oftentimes, I don’t notice Webber when I’m watching him play. That isn’t a bad thing for a defensive defenseman, because normally when you notice a defender, it’s because they’re making a mistake.

I’ve come to accept the fact that Webber is a defense-first defenseman with very little offense to his game. While watching his game tape, it’s pretty clear that there isn’t much excitement to his game. He gets in the way of a ton of shots and is able to prevent a lot of offense this way. One thing that I will say is that Webber can look a little lost at times and will need to work on locating the puck quicker this upcoming season. He’s big enough to take up space in a hurry, but I’d like to see him locate the puck and move to block the shot a little quicker.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

Cade Webber, LHD

I believe that Webber is the tallest player in the Hurricanes’ pipeline, standing roughly at 6’6”. Most players that size are poor skaters, but Webber’s skating is actually quite good. He possesses good mechanics and a clean, quick stride that allows him to cover large distances quickly. He’s a great defensive defender because of his skating and reach, too. Pretty much any area in the defensive zone is a part of Webber’s coverage because if he can’t reach it with his stick, he’s able to get there in a stride or two, rendering a play null. Webber can anticipate where a play is going and react accordingly, shutting down a lot of offense in the process.

I don’t see Webber ever being a strong offensive player, and his lack of transitional skill makes me skeptical of his chances at playing NHL games.
I haven’t seen a lot of improvements since he came to Boston University, largely due to the fact that he has mostly played in a third pairing role for the Terriers. While his defensive game has been good, he hasn’t carried the puck in transition or been able to make an impact offensively. One encouraging thing about Webber is that he was in the lineup on a regular basis as a sophomore this past season, whereas he was in and out of the lineup during his freshman year. My hope is that Webber can make more of an impact offensively during his junior year. I’m not asking for him to be a power play quarterback, but making plays off of the rush and making more than simple passes would be a nice change.

Webber’s hockey sense is a bit underrated, at least from my viewings of the player. His ability to read the play and react in order to make a stop defensively is truly impressive. Seeing a step or two ahead of the competition is going to help Webber make his presence known on the ice, even if the fans don’t see it. Oftentimes, I don’t notice Webber when I’m watching him play. That isn’t a bad thing for a defensive defenseman, because normally when you notice a defender, it’s because they’re making a mistake.

I’ve come to accept the fact that Webber is a defense-first defenseman with very little offense to his game. While watching his game tape, it’s pretty clear that there isn’t much excitement to his game. He gets in the way of a ton of shots and is able to prevent a lot of offense this way. One thing that I will say is that Webber can look a little lost at times and will need to work on locating the puck quicker this upcoming season. He’s big enough to take up space in a hurry, but I’d like to see him locate the puck and move to block the shot a little quicker.
Definitely has improved his shot blocking as he is now labled a "shot blocking machine."

Reactions: hockeywiz542

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto

Cade Webber, LHD

2 things we know to be true;

1. Most young defensemen take a much longer to develop their game

2. TML's player development department could possibly be a tad better than Boston U's.

Sounds like the kid's game is built on the right foundations. For a 6th, hardly any risk especially if they know he will sign - I assume they do know this.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Good Lord.

Never could I have imagined this. Treliving is stuffing the bottom of the lineup like the posterior of a turkey. There's more fat on the roster than there is on my ass.

Oink, oink, oink.

I'm not sure what the thinking here is. Was this really a move that needed to be done at the deadline? I get wanting to keep an eye on the future.

His only claim to fame is being the size of a tree. But let's face it, Parayko he ain't. Oh well, at least the Leafs have a monopoly on bottom of the roster defensemen I guess.

Thank God for that.
Maybe he wasn't and maybe he was going somewhere else. There could have been interest from other teams. Tre took his shot, he has trading history with the Canes. It more or less comes to nothing but a 6th rounder was going to be many years away if the pick makes it at all. This young man sounds like he is ready in a year or two. He sounds more ready than a 6th. He wasn't going to crack the Canes D. They are a befense drafting beast. Chance is worth it.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
becasue DeAngelo is a douche and nobody likes him.

edit. As a matter of fact, yes let's pick up DeAngelo and seat him right next to Reaves for the LOLz
Well, whatever amplified social transgression may or may not have happened, every player is paid far more than enough not to share the mindset of a propagandized high school student and play hockey.

You know...For a while, nobody liked Tyler Bertuzzi either.

How I wish all who didn't, would summarily switch to another team and another sport that puts amplified social issues ahead of hockey.

Reactions: Killswitch

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Good Lord.

Oink, oink, oink.

Thank God for that.
Instead of whining about everything, have you ever considered that Parayko is not available? He is under contract with the Blues and has a full NMC. Yup, current GM is a moron because he can't use a 6th round pick (that has almost no value) in a trade package for a Dman that by all logic is not available at this point in time.

Newsflash for you, if Parayko was available, no longer having a 6th round pick would not be the difference in having the war chest of assets to acquire him or not.

Reactions: Mckay

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I would have rather given Wes Clark the late round 6th but this is for a draft two years away meaning that prospect having any time with the Leafs is 5-7 years.

A bit of a head scratcher but I have to think Clark was informed. Also give the lack of D prospects in the pool this was as good of a gamble at that 6th in two years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad