Post-Game Talk: Leafs 5, Pens 2 - Ref Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
It's Babcock's team.What do you expect?

Other than that, team didn't play well as a whole imo. Possesion means nothing if you can't score. I don't blame the defense and goaltender.They can only do so much due to the ability. The forwards need to be shuffled a bit.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Bad call on a play that is normally no goal call and then allow the coach to challenge it. Secondly, the call on Oleksiak on Marleau was BS. He has every right to hit him as he was in contact with the puck. If he ht him or interfered after that yes the call is correct. Just seemed to me Pens didn't get the bounces but man the effort was Ok but not near what it needs to be. This will be a trade that works next year as Pens can make some moves that are needed.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's Babcock's team.What do you expect?

Other than that, team didn't play well as a whole imo. Possesion means nothing if you can't score. I don't blame the defense and goaltender.They can only do so much due to the ability. The forwards need to be shuffled a bit.

Spot on.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
I'll put it this way, once we were down 2-0 I didn't feel as though we were in danger of winning. We weren't sharp tonight. Not defensively, not on special teams and not in executiing on scoring chances.

Can't say I disagree with any of that, would've liked to have seen how the team responded had Dumo's goal stood. This offense has a habit of scoring in bunches, like at the end of the game.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Jooris looked solid. Better than his linemates for sure.

He’s basically Rowney but with wheels.
Jooris looked like Jooris that played for the Flames tonight. Give him limited minutes and he will be a high energy guy who gives it all every shift. I hope he stays in the lineup. Hes better then Rowney in all aspects.

Reactions: Badfish87 and Jacob

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I mean c'mon, the Penguins looked good, but..
QpaHUvB.gif

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Might be in the minority believing the Pens were utterly outplayed for much of the game leading to that call - so I didn't want to blame the game on one instance. However - the fact that it resulted in a penalty and a 4 goal difference compared to a 2, you can fairly blame the outcome of that game on an utterly terrible call.

Why it's not close: The call was made in real time - meaning the ref didn't see the minuscule head contact and thought that Anderson had his pad pushed or something. That is ridiculous to assume on a cross body play that he'd have the strength to do that with a defender on him. Anderson didn't fall down or spin around, so you can't assume he smacked into the goalie in real time or anything like that... Second - under review, Hainsey clearly pushed him into his own goalie (I remember him doing that to MM far too frequently with zero benefit to the Pens)... so what they're saying is that if someone like McDavid smokes your defender - shove him into your netminder to help alleviate the goal... no longer should you hook or slash and take a penalty - now you can benefit your team by earning a penalty WHILST ruining a goal! Utter crap. Clearly he had it in his mind that TO was earning a call tonight because of some past instance, which is a horrible outcome for professional sports.

Other than that, the team as a whole has been so streaky I've got to assume they're letting off the gas. They control possession tonight for a 5 minute stretch, then just mail it in defensively (+ stupid lazy passes) for an equal amount of time.

Reactions: EightyOne

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Can't say I disagree with any of that, would've liked to have seen how the team responded had Dumo's goal stood. This offense has a habit of scoring in bunches, like at the end of the game.
I was glad we had some push back at the end, that's one positive we can take into tomorrow.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I legitimately don't understand the reality that some people are living in when they trash Jarry. Listen, he's not perfect. He has had his ups and downs. Fair criticism is obviously fine, but I've lost count of how many times I've seen people say he's trash or that he doesn't have a future in the NHL. He's 22, he's a rookie. He's not Matt Murray. Nobody is. Matt Murray is a freak, an outlier. There won't be another Murray for years or perhaps even decades. What's happening with Jarry is a normal growth curve for a talented young goalie. Carey Price ate **** in Montreal for years until he figured it out. This is normal. It's not his fault that there's no veteran backup to step in while Murray's injured. I just don't understand the negativity at all. It's so overblown.

This needs to be highlighted. Murray’s development curve is something you never expect. It makes no sense. He put up bad numbers in juniors until something clicked in his final year, then he dominated the AHL and then he didn’t miss a beat in the nhl. 13 RS games and then he handled the playoffs. It took him 3 years to go from a forgettable prospect to winning the cup.

Anyone who said Jarry was better than him now or would be soon was being ridiculous. Maybe Jarry is never better than he is now but expecting him to be Murray was dumb.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The forwards need to spend more time backchecking and supporting the D...it'd be nice if people could pressure their man...too many mistakes
The offense will be better and get better quality scoring chances if they work harder on defense and generating TOs
Letang needs to stop being as predictable as death and taxes, and find a brain somewhere...

Oh wait, I'm on Earth 2 now...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
As a positive I'm greatly enjoying trolling Maple Leaf fans on the main boards. Might finish this bottle of bourbon and call it a night

Get in a police chase by nights end and we have a winner.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Might be in the minority believing the Pens were utterly outplayed for much of the game leading to that call - so I didn't want to blame the game on one instance. However - the fact that it resulted in a penalty and a 4 goal difference compared to a 2, you can fairly blame the outcome of that game on an utterly terrible call.

Why it's not close: The call was made in real time - meaning the ref didn't see the minuscule head contact and thought that Anderson had his pad pushed or something. That is ridiculous to assume on a cross body play that he'd have the strength to do that with a defender on him. Anderson didn't fall down or spin around, so you can't assume he smacked into the goalie in real time or anything like that... Second - under review, Hainsey clearly pushed him into his own goalie (I remember him doing that to MM far too frequently with zero benefit to the Pens)... so what they're saying is that if someone like McDavid smokes your defender - shove him into your netminder to help alleviate the goal... no longer should you hook or slash and take a penalty - now you can benefit your team by earning a penalty WHILST ruining a goal! Utter crap. Clearly he had it in his mind that TO was earning a call tonight because of some past instance, which is a horrible outcome for professional sports.

Other than that, the team as a whole has been so streaky I've got to assume they're letting off the gas. They control possession tonight for a 5 minute stretch, then just mail it in defensively (+ stupid lazy passes) for an equal amount of time.

I assume that Dumo got called for the head contact not pushing his pad. From the refs angle he would have seen Dumo's arm bump Andersen in the head. It's obviously a terrible call, but that's my assumption from the angle. No way a ref calls goalie interference penalty for a stick pushing a pad across the goal line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad