Prospect Info: Leafs 2017 2nd (Via OTT) (#59 OA) - Eemeli Rasanen - 6'7" 209lbs RHD - Kingston (OHL)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

seems to be able to keep up with liljegren while skating backwards, he eases up at the end but if that was an opponent he would have run him straight into the boards. Kept lil to the outside pretty easily though

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Liljegren walked around him pretty easily there

sure, but if he were a bad skater he wouldnt be there to even be walked. But i will say there is a point where i think rasanen could of buried him into the boards, but why would he try that in a skating drill at development camp. Easy for me to say watching/re-watching a clip i obviously have no idea if in the moment Rasanen had time to process doing that

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
He reminds me of the Nielsen pick, except Rasanen actually uses his size whenever possible.

The more I think about this pick, the more I like it - he's huge, physical, smart, and has good puck skills. If he can improve his skating to the NHL average (which is by no means a certainty), he could be an absolute monster.

Massive upside, and still relatively low risk - if he can improve his skating just a little he should be able to carve out a career as a bottom pairing D.

Last edited:

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
The Liljegren drill was a non-contact, low-intensity drill, I wouldn't harp on Rasanen too much for that. And Liljegren is legitimately one of the top skaters in the draft.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
this, he was a 0.59 PPG player in his 1st ohl season and only season on NA ice. People see a giant and assume he cant skate, those guys are middelton and Mattinen. Middelton is a career 0.18 ppg in 3 ohl seasons, Mattinen 0.17PPG in 2 seasons, these guys are pylons and alot of the best shutdown D put up closer to Rasanen's #'s than those 2 before people come at me with but they are shut down D. For instance little offence Dman Chris Tanev was a 0.68PPG in the NCAA

Middleton's issue is not skating Walshy

It's his puck skills that let him down but he's bloody good defensively though I'll give him that

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Middleton's issue is not skating Walshy

It's his puck skills that let him down but he's bloody good defensively though I'll give him that

ok, if his puck skills are that bad he is still really a nothing prospect. if he cant handle the puck then he wont be in a babcock team. Anyway my overall point is Rasanen is on another level form those 2 and likely gordeev. I really like greenway too

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
ok, if his puck skills are that bad he is still really a nothing prospect. if he cant handle the puck then he wont be in a babcock team. Anyway my overall point is Rasanen is on another level form those 2 and likely gordeev. I really like greenway too

I wouldn't give up on Middleton yet Walshy

He's logged some tough minutes as a young defenseman on a team with a lot of guys who were drafted quite high and much older than him

This year in the OHL is going to be the big one imo
If he can't put up points he's going nowhere but if he can he's interesting

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Middleton just has to make the nice quick out let passes and play like he is 6'7" 250lbs, all will be good.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
if thats a game, timoth is buried by the tsn/Adidas sign. Speed seemed good from both guys, you could tell that ras wanted to throw the body there though.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
A lot of talk about rasanen being a bad skater on here... but for 6'7 I've seen a decent skater. In his highlight video he covers ground quickly (in one sequence). Also he recently listed it as something he thought was a strength of his. Sure he might not skate like Orr, but for 6'7 in the limited viewings I've seen of him, it doesn't look like a huge issue? cant be as bad as Nielsen right?

FriendlyGiant

Jul 28, 2006
Middleton just has to make the nice quick out let passes and play like he is 6'7" 250lbs, all will be good.

I actually saw Middleton when his team was playing against the Kitchener Rangers this winter. He was a very solid defensive defenceman. He was always put out in defensive situations. Skating also did not appear to be a problem (at least at the junior level). I'm looking forward to seeing how he progresses this year.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
He didn't have the gap whatsoever. There's no way he makes up that ground to make a hit there.

What? have you not heard of the hipcheck? He controlled the gap very well there and closed it right at the sign. Definitely could have bodied him there right before he pivots. That isn't a very difficult check to lay there, its all about lateral movement in that instance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad