Prospect Info: Leafs 2017 2nd (Via OTT) (#59 OA) - Eemeli Rasanen - 6'7" 209lbs RHD - Kingston (OHL)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Seems to be a smart shooter, none of that Phaneuf special where he loses possession off a missed slapshot every PP.

That being said, this has to be one of the most casual highlight reels I've seen for one of our prospects :laugh:

yeah, i would love to see him skate with the puck or a clip of him defending. did look good offensively and positionally in that vid

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
yeah, i would love to see him skate with the puck or a clip of him defending. did look good offensively and positionally in that vid

Watch the the Prospects Game. There's tons of him skating in there. It'll show you his skating and his defensive work.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Watch the the Prospects Game. There's tons of him skating in there. It'll show you his skating and his defensive work.

would love a shift by shift break down vid, but i dont think they have one. Im not going to watch an entire game to watch 1 maybe 2 players.

Also must be a pretty good sign he was even at the top prospects game no?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
would love a shift by shift break down vid, but i dont think they have one. Im not going to watch an entire game to watch 1 maybe 2 players.

Also must be a pretty good sign he was even at the top prospects game no?

IIRC the top prospects game is just the top 40 rated draft prospects playing in the CHL. So it's not that big of a sign. Considering there's probably an additional 30 or 40 from other leagues to make up the top 70 or so you're only looking at being a borderline 2nd rounder to attend.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
IIRC the top prospects game is just the top 40 rated draft prospects playing in the CHL. So it's not that big of a sign. Considering there's probably an additional 30 or 40 from other leagues to make up the top 70 or so you're only looking at being a borderline 2nd rounder to attend.

of course im not claiming him to be a blue chipper, just he isnt some pylon who cant skate. It is a good sign he was selected to the game. He was ranked as a mid 3rd rounder so going to the game justifies the leafs picking him in the 2nd.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Would love to see Rasanen and Gordeev work out. The twin towers on the blueline. :handclap:

id rank our CN towers like this:
Rasanen (best scoring of the lot)
Greenway (good reports from ncaa coach)
Grodeev (he has good skating)
Middelton (looks like could be a shutdown D)
Mattinen (didn't progress as hoped, was supposed to take over top pair not sure he did in London)

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I know it's not easy and it's a typical 1st world complaint, but I wished his highlight package showed more than just goals and assists and added in more defensive plays and zone entrees etc.

On the flip side, we'll all be watching him more next season so I'll get what I wanted by watching his games.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Greenway (good reports from ncaa coach)
Middelton (looks like could be a shutdown D)
Mattinen (didn't progress as hoped, was supposed to take over top pair not sure he did in London)

Out of all these I think Greenway has the biggest upside and chances of making the NHL someday

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Out of all these I think Greenway has the biggest upside and chances of making the NHL someday

yeah, I put more emphasis on scoring because the majority of the time even the best shutdown D scored at least .4/.5 ppg in JNR. But Greenway in the NCAA is a different case of course, I should of done a Rasanen/Greenway split at the top I think both have a chance to play in the NHL.

Gordeev is very interesting especially after reading the interview with his coach, he has good to maybe very good skating and he has puck skills from his time as a forward. This season he will be on Flint's top pair and get PP time which he didn't get much of last year I think his PPG will really go up this coming season

edit: I gave a slight edge to Rasenen based on him being a RHD and will likely have a clearer path to the a NHL spot, just due to the lack of RHD league wide

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Greenway (good reports from NCAA coach)
Middleton (looks like could be a shutdown D)

Mattinen better do something very special next season ... I really like the Rasanen kid, I see him on the Leafs in a few years.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Mattinen better do something very special next season ... I really like the Rasanen kid, I see him on the Leafs in a few years.

Mattinen I don't hold out much hope for. The rest have shown some discernible skill improvement or in the case of this years draft picks something there to begin with. Mattinen actual went from 10 points in 39 games to 8 points in 66 this year, he definitely moved up in QOC but that isn't good enough

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
honestly rasanen I don't even put in the same category as those guys.

Rasanen is a real prospect, imo. The rest of those names are all longshots.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
honestly rasanen I don't even put in the same category as those guys.

Rasanen is a real prospect, imo. The rest of those names are all longshots.

yeah I agree, id put greenway there too though. The others are definitely swing for the fences.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
A highlight-montage for.. Eemeli Rasanen (#77)..., who plays Defense position with the 2016-17 Kingston Frontenacs.., in the OHL..
..and with the 2016-17 Team Finland U18 teams, in the IIHF U18 competitions.

Eemeli was drafted in Round 2 / #59 overall ..by the Toronto Maple Leafs.., in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft.

The first thing anyone will notice right away from him, is his size... Notice in the video, how much taller he is than Henny, Babs and Joe...
And he hasn't stopped growing yet..! His speed and skating are better than most other players in his size range...
...and he is concerned with being a good, two-way D-man..

Eemeli-Rasanen-2.jpg

Eemeli Rasanen
Defense -- shoots R
Born Mar 6 1999 -- Joensuu, Finland
*18 yrs. ago
Height *6.07 -- Weight *208

Ranked #53 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #42 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #132 by Future Considerations
Ranked #58 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #32 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)
Ranked #68 by TSN/McKenzieNHL

RECENT STATS:

*2016-17 - Team Finland U18 - WJC-18
6 Games... 1 Goal... 0 Assists... 1 Point... +/- 0
------------------------------------------------------------------
*2016-17 - Team Finland U18 - International Junior
4 Games... 0 Goals... 1 Assist... 1 Point... +2
*2016-17 - Team Finland U18 - Hlinka Memorial
4 Games... 0 Goals... 1 Assist... 1 Point... +2
*2016-17 - Kingston Frontenacs - OHL
66 Games... 6 Goals... 33 Assists... 39 Points... -7
*2017 OHL PLAYOFFS
11 Games... 1 Goal... 4 Assists... 5 Points... -9

Clips include: Many goals & assists, from Eemeli's 2016-17 season..; clips from a June 24th 2017 Leafs interview, after being drafted....
...and a few other 2016-2017 clips & photos...

Big Drive: Eemeli Rasanen 2016-17 Highlights - Leafs 2017 Draft Pick - TML (HD)

Last edited:

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Going to be a solid third pairing RHD for us. Big steady body with some offensive skill.

Rielly - Liljegren
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Rasanen
Nielsen

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: