Prospect Info: Leafs 2017 2nd (Via OTT) (#59 OA) - Eemeli Rasanen - 6'7" 209lbs RHD - Kingston (OHL)

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Just because you either can't understand or appreciate the science behind skill development does not mean it is misplaced. What happened to you ernie? You've been sour since the draft.

It's got nothing to do with a lack of understanding the content, and everything to do with the content not belonging in the thread. You wanna wave your **** around and feel important, don't do it in a thread about an 18 yo drafted out of Kingston 3 weeks ago.

Talk about St. Louis vs Alaska-Fairbanks, Colton Parayko's development at either institution or semantics arguments over scientific terms really has no place here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs might have drafted their Zedno Chara here.

The Hockey News draft preview loves this guy. Calls him a diamond in the rough.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
What? have you not heard of the hipcheck? He controlled the gap very well there and closed it right at the sign. Definitely could have bodied him there right before he pivots. That isn't a very difficult check to lay there, its all about lateral movement in that instance.

Liljegren would have slid right by the hip check there ala Matthews on Karlsson. He never "had" him there.

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
Leafs might have drafted their Zedno Chara here.

The Hockey News draft preview loves this guy. Calls him a diamond in the rough.

He was only ranked 67 and didn't get a full write up. Just a blurb saying he is a project with a good shot, needs skating and consistency. So not sure where you got that from.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
It's got nothing to do with a lack of understanding the content, and everything to do with the content not belonging in the thread. You wanna wave your **** around and feel important, don't do it in a thread about an 18 yo drafted out of Kingston 3 weeks ago.

Talk about St. Louis vs Alaska-Fairbanks, Colton Parayko's development at either institution or semantics arguments over scientific terms really has no place here.

Ernie, whats your problem? I can talk about whatever the hell i want. I dont get you man, sometimes you're cool, but then you go on these stretches where you get mad and start suggesting that people self censor? Seriously? I was having a nature vs nurture discussion with 7 in regard to prospect development (clearly relevent to this thread) and you felt the need to jump in? Pissing contest? I'm not mad and nor is 7.... we are both presenting contrasting views. Ernie man, i dont get why you are so salty, but stop tring these tactics, or better yet, just ignore us because theres no way in hell that i am censoring myself to appease you.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Liljegren would have slid right by the hip check there ala Matthews on Karlsson. He never "had" him there.

Disagree but I'm really not interested in debating this further, no point. All I know is that a big mean physical d man will finish on that play in that position.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Ernie, whats your problem? I can talk about whatever the hell i want. I dont get you man, sometimes you're cool, but then you go on these stretches where you get mad and start suggesting that people self censor? Seriously? I was having a nature vs nurture discussion with 7 in regard to prospect development (clearly relevent to this thread) and you felt the need to jump in? Pissing contest? I'm not mad and nor is 7.... we are both presenting contrasting views. Ernie man, i dont get why you are so salty, but stop tring these tactics, or better yet, just ignore us because theres no way in hell that i am censoring myself to appease you.

Your conversation was about Parayko/St. Louis/UAF. Hardly to do with a Finnish kid drafted out of Kingston. Your needless explanations of the semantics of epigenetics contributed nothing to the thread.

Rasanen is his own player and will develop under a completely different system and group of coaches. His path is nothing like Parayko's.

To be salty, I'd have to have a reason to be.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Your conversation was about Parayko/St. Louis/UAF. Hardly to do with a Finnish kid drafted out of Kingston. Your needless explanations of the semantics of epigenetics contributed nothing to the thread.

Rasanen is his own player and will develop under a completely different system and group of coaches. His path is nothing like Parayko's.

To be salty, I'd have to have a reason to be.

Ernie cut the ****. Lets take a look back at how we got here. Originally, people were giving hunter crap for passing on parayko. The context was that the ras pick was somehow jeopardized because the implication was that hunter's d-man draft history wasn't immaculate (the parayko miss was an example). People were saying that since hunter and co scouted parayko hard, and still didn't pull the trigger somehow reflects negatively on hunter's ability and subsequently casts doubt on the ras pick.

I came in to push back because I felt that that argument wasn't fair. I came in and made great arguments about the massive development that parayko endured after he was drafted.

Now enter ernie, who comes in, sees talk about epigenetics and environment and gets grumpy. Ernie, the only grumpy you should try is the grumpy meal at the hi-ho on walker road. You've been very crabby around here for about 2 weeks. Lighten up.

Now that you understand the context, perhaps you will be less combative, but if you still want to go, then you better bring it, because my genetics game is immaculate.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Ernie cut the ****. Lets take a look back at how we got here. Originally, people were giving hunter crap for passing on parayko. The context was that the ras pick was somehow jeopardized because the implication was that hunter's d-man draft history wasn't immaculate (the parayko miss was an example). People were saying that since hunter and co scouted parayko hard, and still didn't pull the trigger somehow reflects negatively on hunter's ability and subsequently casts doubt on the ras pick.

I came in to push back because I felt that that argument wasn't fair. I came in and made great arguments about the massive development that parayko endured after he was drafted.

Now enter ernie, who comes in, sees talk about epigenetics and environment and gets grumpy. Ernie, the only grumpy you should try is the grumpy meal at the hi-ho on walker road. You've been very crabby around here for about 2 weeks. Lighten up.

Now that you understand the context, perhaps you will be less combative, but if you still want to go, then you better bring it, because my genetics game is immaculate.

I'm glad you've paid enough attention to me to notice the tone of my posts. Apparently, I'm effective without effort. Also, this is a hockey board. Not sure anyone cares in the least, what level your genetics game is at.

As stated before, Rasanen and Parayko are independent cases, starting from different points, and taking completely different paths.

Here's hoping Rasanen is a rich man's Rasanen.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I'm glad you've paid enough attention to me to notice the tone of my posts. Apparently, I'm effective without effort. Also, this is a hockey board. Not sure anyone cares in the least, what level your genetics game is at.

As stated before, Rasanen and Parayko are independent cases, starting from different points, and taking completely different paths.

Here's hoping Rasanen is a rich man's Rasanen.

Ernie, I will allow you to use some critical thinking skills to draw comparisons from this post forward. You would think that after all the times i've proven you wrong in the draft forum that you would at least show a little respect or humility. Seems you've run out of content though. sad.

Just because you A) don't understand or B) under appreciate player development, does not give you a licence to come in here and start spewing nonsense.

Ill try to make this a bit easier for you, since clearly there is a disconnect here. Parayko in 2012, just like ras in 2017, was incredibly raw, had great size, question marks surrounding his skating, and was viewed as a boom bust pick. 2012 parayko wasn't all that impressive of a prospect. He only started to greatly improve after his draft period from 2012-2015. Now this is where I need you to think critically ernie, apply yourself here... Had this POST draft environment been different (different team with different plans/turns pro earlier) there is no way to know if he still becomes the same player.

If you don't see the parallels, then you really aren't interested in having a real discussion.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Has a real heavy shot. Looks solid in Dev camp... crazy large, but still has room to fill out the frame, maybe grow a bit taller? Who knows... l like this pick more as time goes on.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Does anyone remember if Tyler Myers was a good skater on draft day or if he worked out the kinks after?

I've been watching this on loop for like 5 mins trying to picture a speedy NHL winger going outside, looks like he's got some work to do but it doesn't look like an awful starting point

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
Does anyone remember if Tyler Myers was a good skater on draft day or if he worked out the kinks after?

I've been watching this on loop for like 5 mins trying to picture a speedy NHL winger going outside, looks like he's got some work to do but it doesn't look like an awful starting point

I believe Myers went so high because he was a excellent skater on draft day

I feel like Rasanen would have been a first rounder if he had better skating, but he really doesn't look bad in this footage

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I believe Myers went so high because he was a excellent skater on draft day

I feel like Rasanen would have been a first rounder if he had better skating, but he really doesn't look bad in this footage

ya I went back and looked up some scounting reports and there was lots of "really good skater for his size" for Myers

Rasanen's mechanics look pretty good, a little slow off the line skating backwards and in his pivot, but that looks like something that would improve a lot with hip strengthening to me

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

Just one snippet in mid summer so it's hard to judge, but it takes him a good 6-7 strides to get up to speed in that clip. If he can drop that down to 4-5 it would be pretty good for a big guy because he's actually moving quite quickly at top speed.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON

You gotta understand that these skating drills aren't literally just skating from one end to the other type of things. Underhill likes forcing her underlings to focus on aggravating certain movements or elongating strides to the point of discomfort to help with speed, energy and agility. It goes without saying that it is unfair to judge someone off a 10 second clip (good clip or bad clip), but it is even more unfair to do so when one is executing a skating drill.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
See that clip displays exactly what most are saying. His top speed is fine. Just needs to work on his stride and edge work. Thank God we have Barb.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Tyler Myers has always skated like a small guy, gifted ... you're not going to try and outskate a speedy winger skating backward, this was just a technique drill, Barb was videoing it.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Guys as big as Rasanen will never be amazing skaters. Same with Parayko. He's not some amazing skater. He has good top speed like Rasanen, but he will still get burned off a bad foot by a faster winger. The point is, you want these guys to get their speed to a decent enough level (including changing directions and backwards skating) where the massive guys can utilize their extended reach to cut off gaps and space)>

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017

I'm not a fan of the Rasanen pick, purely due to lack of knowledge in who he is and not even interested in being a devil's advocate. I watched the video and anyone that thinks Rasanen didn't have Liljegren there is just wrong on many levels. Yes, it was a prospect camp so I don't think they take it too seriously playing physical, but if it were a regular game 1 little push from Rasanen could've ended up in getting the puck back or even Liljegren getting hurt near the board. Don't judge the play made on prospect camp just by one way, you guys are around for much longer than I am and anyone who watches hockey and understand it can see that Rasanen was a clear cut winner of that battle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->