Sportsnet: leafs 2 years from now

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
With the exception of our top picks, no prospects who aren't already on the roster stand a chance of making a top line/top pairing role in two years. It's very unlikely they'll even make a top 6/top 4 role.

JVR-Stamkos-Nylander
Komarov-Kadri-Marner
Kapanen-Holland-Brown
Leipsic-Gauthier-Winnik

Gardiner-Rielly
Phaneuf-Zaitsev
Harrington-Percy

Bernier
Sparks

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
With the exception of our top picks, no prospects who aren't already on the roster stand a chance of making a top line/top pairing role in two years. It's very unlikely they'll even make a top 6/top 4 role.

JVR-Stamkos-Nylander
Komarov-Kadri-Marner
Kapanen-Holland-Brown
Leipsic-Gauthier-Winnik

Gardiner-Rielly
Phaneuf-Zaitsev
Harrington-Percy

Bernier
Sparks

Dermott might.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If Kadri doesnt start producing where would he go? The AHL? If he is traded it would likely be for a similar player back. If Kadri ends up finishing the season with 35ish points I would imagine he would just get re-signed. If Kadri continues to play the way he is for the rest of the season I would have no problem with getting him resigned for 4.1m x 3 years.

You want to give a guy that is on pace for 30 points 12.3 million over 3 years?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Lol I agree.

Some people don't realize its going to take a couple of years to weed out the prospects that showed promise but can't translate to the NHL. Just because a boatload of our prospects are showing promise doesn't mean they all will generate the same results in the NHL.. More than half won't make it and in turn we hope to figure that out earlier enough to trade them for more picks to take more shots at the pot.

On top of that it might take another 2 seasons for those prospects that did translate well to show their true potential.

They weren't kidding when the word patience got thrown around... I'm more worried that I'm seeing this much urgency in the 1st yr of the rebuild lol.

Why rain on the parade? It's a time honoured tradition here in Leaf Nation to say "depth" and then write down a bunch of names.

This line up would look good wouldn't it?

Biggs - Stamkos - McKegg
Tlusty - Cereda - Landon Wilson
Pearson - Convery - Thornton
Mitchell - Hayes - Ryan

Ware - Berehowsky
Percy - Blacker
Hayes - Coloiacovo

Pogge
Fichaud

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Ok let me give these lines a shot. I'm not going to include Stamkos as others have since he isn't on the charts yet.

Komarov-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Nylander-Shoshnikov
Kapanen-Bozak-Hyman
Leipsic-Gauthier-Winnik

Rielly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Phaneuf
Harrington-Lööv

Goalie?
In 3 or 4 years hopefully Marner is playing centre.
Also if we draft top five and grab Laine or Puljujarvi they will be in there somewhere too.

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
I see other people posting their 2yr roster so here's mine. I go a little different than the traditional L1,L2,L3... And LW C RW ect. I go by roles so 1C, 2C, 7Forward ect. So here we go. Also I'm not presuming Stamkos signs, if he were too obviously things change.

1C - Kadri - can play the tough mins. I think he will break out again soon. He looks like he's developing into a Bergeron lite under Babs.

2C - Nylander - it would be his 2nd full season at most so let him stay in sheltered mins.

3C - Logan Brown - I'm not banking on the 1OA pick. Puljiarvi (sp?) looks good but Chyruchin I'm not too big on. Alex Nylander looks good but I think he'll be 10-15. Logan Brown looks pretty good and he's big. Plus Shanahan played w his dad in Hartford I believe. So there is a connection as there has been w Kappanen Shoshnikov Will Ny and Marner. I can see it happening. Plus it would be nice to have a big power Centre.

1W - JVR - I know some ppl think he should get traded but honestly even if he does have an NTC I don't see him not waving it in his final year if they trade him to a competitive team. Plus he's a great finisher on a top line.

2W - Marner - another given.

7F - Komarov - I think they bring him back when hi contract expires. He's exactly the type of player Babs likes.

8F - Gauthier - Controversial TL some but he is an elite defensive talent. As a Defensive shutdown C to be deployed in a similar defensive sense to Jay McClemment (but not 20 ****ing mins a night...).

1D - Cpt. Morgan Rielly - cuz duh.

2D - Gardiner - the Seabrook to Rielly's Keith. I've also noticed this year under Babs he's become an absolute ******** to play against. He's physical in a chippy sense, and he keeps his feet moving. Your new age DFD everyone.

3D - Phanuef - I'm back and forth with him, I love guys with power shots but he's not exactly the most agile guy and gets beat around the rush quite often. He's also being paid $7m and any trade involving him we'd likely be retaining salary and downgrading in the position. So I'm currently leaning towards make it work w him, as by the time this team is truly competing his contract will be expiring and he will either be taking a payout to try and win w us or be replaced.

4D - I'm making a bold prediction here. I'm calling Kyle Quincey goes to UFA and signs as a leaf. I have zero evidence to support this, I just would like to see it. Adds another solid veteran who will have a couple good years left in him when we're competitive, and a guy who can help insulate a more offensive guy like Valiev or Zadorov (sp? The Russian defenseman in the KHL who we tried to sign this past offseason but apparently will be happening next offseason) while a more densive guy like Percy plays with Phanuef so Dion can be Dion.

Starter - I want to believe it will be James. I really really do. Going into this season my opinion was neither of these guys were capable of being a starting G. But Riemer gave me leafs again and he's such a good guy but my gut tells me this is his swan song as a leaf. Weather he walks away at the end to greener pastures or is traded away for more picks, I don't see it ending well. But on the off chance he does stick this spot is his.

This all said the rest of the Forwad spots can be filled by Holland/Carrick/Levio/Johnson/Kappanen/Connor Brown/Shoshnikov/Panik/Timashov/Lupul.

Defensive spots can be filled by Percy/Harrington/Corrado/Valiev and Nilson if he develops that quickly.

Finally Goaltending really is only 3 routes. Either one of Sparks/Bibeau take the net from Bernier after Riemer leaves or one of them backs up Riemer. Or the darkest timeline and neither are good enough and Riemer walks away so we either trade a kings ransom for somebody like Gibson or acquire someone through UFA that probably isn't all that great.

So to put this in more conventional view

JVR - Kadri - Komarov
- Nylander -
- L. Brown - Marner
- Gauthier -

Gardiner - Rielly
- Phanuef
Quincey -

Riemer

jjjshab

Jul 7, 2015
Not going to happen...but an off season of signing Stamkos, Vesey, Zatisev along with drafting Mathews and Logan Brown would be crazy. Of course, we'll likely get none of them but one can dream. Trade JVR for tough D or goalie. Team in a few years.

Marner Stamkos Lupul
Vesey Mathews Nylander
C Brown Kadri Bracco
Kapanen L Brown Hyman / Tymashov

Zaitsev? Vesey?

bros, i think you think we have a different vesey

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
bro, i think you think we have a different vesey

he clearly said "signing Vesey", the really good one which Nashville drafted, and is doing his final year of college right now, and can choose to become UFA after it, and has been rumoured to maybe coming here because of his brother, and the scouting job we gave his father.

Not the guy we drafted

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Brown- Patrick-Marner
JVR-Nylander-Gauthier
Kapanen-Bozak-levin
Gettinger-Gauthier-Winnik

Rielly-Chychrun
Gardiner-Desrocher
Valiev-Day

Phaneuf, Bozak, JVR , Komarov and Kadri will all be traded over over the next few seasons bringing more prospects draft choices
This is my team in 2018-19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad