Sportsnet: leafs 2 years from now

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah, I don't know about that.

This management regime will want to keep veterans they like around (Hunwick, Komo, Winnik). Also, goaltending is a fickle position, Bernier will bounce back.

See I don't think he will, I think Bernier is horrible this is just him

OvenMittz*

why u cant rebuild around stamkos ? this team would be in the playoff hunt this year if kadri could score and bernier wins 2 of his 8 starts ,babcock is the real deal

We are not planning to win now. Don't be surprised to see us selling come TDL in a playoff spot. We are not going to short term route, its long term and long lasting success. Something this franchise has not done in decades. We will sell anybody over the age of 23 if the price is right no matter what spot were in this year.

Stamkos might help now but might hinder signings in the future which is why he might now come here. At this point in our rebuild its all picks and futures and then we figure what pieces stay and what pieces we need to fill the gaps moving forward .

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
When the youth starts joining the team is when the real pain sets in for a while. Young players are learning on the job. They make big errors. They have exploitable weaknesses.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Pretty sure Nylander will be up after Leafs have played 43 games. And Marner should be ready by next season. Not sure what what he means by NHL-ready in 2017.

I will counter by saying pretty sure he won't be. It makes far more sense to keep the year on his ecl and have the Marlies build team chemistry and a deep Calder Cup run. He'll be on the team next year I am sure but there is little to gain from bringing him up at this time. There is also a shortage of spots for him so to bring him up means we would have to throw away a player, I think throwing Granburg away ( I don't blame them, this was a bad luck thing IMO) is enough for one year. At the deadline the one year contract club will almost certainly be moved with bodies coming back and the one year guys that have proven to be Babcock guys could well be extended.

I know we are excited about Nylander but there is just no reason to rush him up.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Those comments are cancerous. I don't know what I expected.

In any case I don't think the Leafs are trying to emulate Boston or any other team for that matter this time around. Teams that tried to become more Bruins-like in the past few years have suffered more than benefited. The type of team the Leafs will be is to be determined yet. And if done right teams are going to want to copy us.

The comparison to Boston is to do with zone focus. Our zone this year, our zone neutral zone next year, all three zones year three. It is not implied we are going to try and build a roster like theirs or try to get duplicate players.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Yes, we will also have all our draft picks in the NHL. Everyone we pick is an NHL'er. 100%.

Dermott, Timashov, Dzierkals etc are good prospects but I've learned from my Matt Finn mistake. I watched him a lot in Guelph and thought he would be a stud if he improved his skating along the way. Instead, he just kept getting worse.

Am I the only one who remembers how he was supposed to be a top 20 pick? He's basically a bust like Biggs now.

Out of all the players we drafted this year in the later rounds, I think Timashov is the most likely to be in the NHL. He played very well at training camp (better than even Marner) but it's hard to predict players like that...

I'll be happy if half of our draft picks pan out and half of those turn into impact players.

I'd be happy with 1/3. but yes, it happens every year someone posts a roster with every single one of our prospects and goes .. "this is it!!". :help:

the translation between AHL and NHL isn't easy. success in the AHL doesn't necessarily mean success in the NHL. you have to figure that hardly any of the top prospects ever play a serious amount of time in the AHL nowadays. There are 71 players in the NHL that are 21 and under that were good enough to bypass the AHL.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
In two yrs (cup contenders):

JVR Stamkos Marner
Puljujarvi Nylander Kapanen
Timashov Kadri Brown
Winnik Gauthier Komarov

Rielly Dermott
Gardiner Percy
Nielsen Harrington

Sparks
Reimer

Come on that's easily a playoff team. Probably the best top six in the NHL too.

The D isn't great unless Rielly continues his development but that team easily makes the playoffs...

Yes, we will also have all our draft picks in the NHL. Everyone we pick is an NHL'er. 100%.

Dermott, Timashov, Dzierkals etc are good prospects but I've learned from my Matt Finn mistake. I watched him a lot in Guelph and thought he would be a stud if he improved his skating along the way. Instead, he just kept getting worse.

Am I the only one who remembers how he was supposed to be a top 20 pick? He's basically a bust like Biggs now.

Out of all the players we drafted this year in the later rounds, I think Timashov is the most likely to be in the NHL. He played very well at training camp (better than even Marner) but it's hard to predict players like that...

I'll be happy if half of our draft picks pan out and half of those turn into impact players.

I'd be happy with 1/3. but yes, it happens every year someone posts a roster with every single one of our prospects and goes .. "this is it!!". :help:

the translation between AHL and NHL isn't easy. success in the AHL doesn't necessarily mean success in the NHL.

In the Stamkos thread, there is also a lot of posts/posters stating that our young prospects that we have drafted will transition smoothly and quickly to the NHL by the 2017/2018 season and contribute at such a high level that we will compete for Cup. Not to mention the "Stamkos factor" propelling us into the stratosphere.

Maybe a poll is in order, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a decent sized percentage of the fan base falling into this camp.

Hope they are right, but this would be one of the most meteoric rises from a really bad to really good team if it were to happen. I don't think the Leaf fan base has to take a back seat to anyone when it comes to unbridled optimism.

Mad Brills*

nylander/marner/rielly/2016 1st will be locks for that team. That's it though.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Think some people are forgetting that the Leafs prospect pool is actually really deep now. This isn't the Brian Burke-Dave Nonis crap fest anymore.

I believe Pronman had them ranked #2 and almost everyone has them somewhere in the top 5. It's not a big stretch to think that after Marner/Nylander (who are pretty much locks IMO) we could have 2-3 more kids make the team in two years...

Notice that I left out Johnson, Bracco, Dzierkals, Leivo, etc. If Kapanen and Brown stay healthy they will make the team, both have NHL level skillsets already. Timashov or Gauthier could also be ready in two years...not really a stretch at all to assume that.

Percy is ready right now even though he's regressed a little this year. Dermott was more of a hopeful pick and I guess probably the least plausible one there.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
We always suffer from harsh prospect hubris. Chances are in 2 years, a few of our HOME RUN picks from this past draft will have been dealt for more picks or as throw ins in getting rid of bad contracts. That tends to be the case, not just with the Leafs, but with most teams. We'll have a log jam soon enough, NHL and AHL, and will have to find something to do. Our only real hope is that we can find a suitor for our old core players, minus maybe Dion. Guys like Lupul and Bozak are having great years, but because of term we might have to give up a prospect or two. We also need to realize that the Hyman's and Carrick's of this roster mean just as much as the Soshnikov's. Kapanen might get away with a bottom 6 role because he plays solid defence, but we some hard nose grinders in this system as well. Hopefully we get Cameranessi signed this offseason as he seems to be a perfect bottom 6 guy for the NHL. Hard nosed with some skill, just like Hyman.

And then there's potentially Zaitsev... Easily a top 4 RHD. Kind of glad Granberg was taken off waivers. One less body and I prefer Corrado anyway.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Think some people are forgetting that the Leafs prospect pool is actually really deep now. This isn't the Brian Burke-Dave Nonis crap fest anymore.

I believe Pronman had them ranked #2 and almost everyone has them somewhere in the top 5. It's not a big stretch to think that after Marner/Nylander (who are pretty much locks IMO) we could have 2-3 more kids make the team in two years...

Notice that I left out Johnson, Bracco, Dzierkals, Leivo, etc. If Kapanen and Brown stay healthy they will make the team, both have NHL level skillsets already. Timashov or Gauthier could also be ready in two years...not really a stretch at all to assume that.

Percy is ready right now even though he's regressed a little this year. Dermott was more of a hopeful pick and I guess probably the least plausible one there.

sure 2-3 guys will probably make it on top of Nylander/Marner in 2 years but the lineup you posted had 9 of those prospects playing in it. and called them a cup contender. how many teams are cup contenders when almost half there team has 2 or less years of NHL expierence? it's a ridiculous notion.

I will counter by saying pretty sure he won't be. It makes far more sense to keep the year on his ecl and have the Marlies build team chemistry and a deep Calder Cup run. He'll be on the team next year I am sure but there is little to gain from bringing him up at this time. There is also a shortage of spots for him so to bring him up means we would have to throw away a player, I think throwing Granburg away ( I don't blame them, this was a bad luck thing IMO) is enough for one year. At the deadline the one year contract club will almost certainly be moved with bodies coming back and the one year guys that have proven to be Babcock guys could well be extended.

I know we are excited about Nylander but there is just no reason to rush him up.

I don't understand why people are so concerned about burning a year on Nylander's ELC, if Nylander doesn't play in the NHL this year he will have the next 3 years on his ELC, but by the third year we might just be making the playoffs by then, were not going to win anything in three years time, so making sure you don't burn a year off Nylanders ELC to me is irrelevant. by the time were ready to compete for the cup he will be long done his ELC. and theoretically it might actually be more beneficial to burn a year on Nylanders ELC. bring him up for 10 games, and then send him back down for the Marlies playoff push. why? because that will give Nylander only 2 full years to earn his next contract, whereas if you don't burn a year he gets an extra year to earn a big money deal. Nylander after 2 years in the NHL probably wont be as good as after 3 years so I would try and burn a year to perhaps get a cheaper 2nd contract, which imo is the actual contract that matters not his ELC.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

If Willie plays less that 40 games we do not lose a year of control. Is as if he didn't play them as far as contracts are concerned

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas

sure it is.

you don't know how well they are going to transition to the bigger, faster, and far better skillset NHL, especially considering the size of some of those players you are mentioning. it's easier to look good in a league where if you already have a high skillset, you've probably already moved out of the league.

the AHL to NHL points ratio is usually around 1:2 to 1:2.5 .. so consider 60 points in the AHL to be around 30 points in the NHL.

Do you think that Brown and Kapanen are going to make it to the NHL and stick if they are 20-30 point forwards?

the thing that bothers me mostly about the leafs pool is how undersized it is. the AHL the players are on average, smaller and lighter than the NHL. not to mention the speed of the game.

so it's anyone guess to how well the B level prospects develop and translate - obviously our A level prospects; Marner and Nylander should easily translate, but how many sub 6 foot forwards are the leafs going to carry?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
In two yrs (cup contenders):

JVR Stamkos Marner
Puljujarvi Nylander Kapanen
Timashov Kadri Brown
Winnik Gauthier Komarov

Rielly Dermott
Gardiner Percy
Nielsen Harrington

Sparks
Reimer
Posts like these is what makes 29 other fan bases hate the Leafs. Hell, posts like these even make me want to gauge my eyes out.

Lets just post every spec we have, except them to become beasts in 2 years and not have any of them bust, and say were a cup contender, great! :shakehead

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Yet you post 9 :laugh:

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Posts like these is what makes 29 other fan bases hate the Leafs. Hell, posts like these even make me want to gauge my eyes out.

Lets just post every spec we have, except them to become beasts in 2 years and not have any of them bust, and say were a cup contender, great! :shakehead

yes, a cup contender in the first 1-2 years they play in the NHL :shakehead

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Not going to happen...but an off season of signing Stamkos, Vesey, Zatisev along with drafting Mathews and Logan Brown would be crazy. Of course, we'll likely get none of them but one can dream. Trade JVR for tough D or goalie. Team in a few years.

Marner Stamkos Lupul
Vesey Mathews Nylander
C Brown Kadri Bracco
Kapanen L Brown Hyman / Tymashov

OvenMittz*

Lol I agree.

Some people don't realize its going to take a couple of years to weed out the prospects that showed promise but can't translate to the NHL. Just because a boatload of our prospects are showing promise doesn't mean they all will generate the same results in the NHL.. More than half won't make it and in turn we hope to figure that out earlier enough to trade them for more picks to take more shots at the pot.

On top of that it might take another 2 seasons for those prospects that did translate well to show their true potential.

They weren't kidding when the word patience got thrown around... I'm more worried that I'm seeing this much urgency in the 1st yr of the rebuild lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad